• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Sign in to follow this  
EdTheDuck

Cove Rangers Champions

4 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
8 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:
Why? I must have missed all the applicants over the last ten years.
EoS, SoS, LL, West Region, East Region, North Region and NCL all managed to get new members in that time.

iirc the Highland League has required lights for a good while hence lack of applicants

Yet there are clubs in the Highland League area with lights so it's not an excuse. 

surely Halkirk, Burghead and Culter cant be far off ground requirements to join the league or get licensed?

Just because they are, or are not far off, doesn’t mean they want senior football.

What’s this desperation to get Halkirk in? No c**t lives up there. Wick have enough problems with recruitment at times as it is.

Halkirk is a small village in Caithness - there's not the population to support two sides at HFL level. Wick Academy are the de facto side for the whole County. The ground isn't enclosed and the changing rooms aren't close enough. There's not been a peep out of them regarding the HFL for years. As for Burghead Thistle and Culter, I'd be very surprised if they're interested.

Culter might have been interested when they’d money and were top banana in the juniors. Now there’s only Banks O’Dee worth considering from that area.

Re Burghead - are folk just sticking a pin the a map and picking the closest team as a suggestion?

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Culter might have been interested when they’d money and were top banana in the juniors. Now there’s only Banks O’Dee worth considering from that area.

Re Burghead - are folk just sticking a pin the a map and picking the closest team as a suggestion?

Since you have to be licenced to join the HFL, then only Banks o' Dee fit the criteria (if you ignore Golspie Sutherland). Given the shenanigans when the league expanded to 18 and their chairman's statement about being happy to be the big fish in an extremely small pond, I'd be extremely surprised if they made an application. 

11 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Agreed - sticking pins on a map seems to be part of any discussion on HFL expansion.

In the event of Cove going up would love to see Banks o’ Dee take a crack at the Highland League but apparently they’re not up for it? 

In the event of Cove going up would love to see Banks o’ Dee take a crack at the Highland League but apparently they’re not up for it? 
Happy where they are as they got licensed before the commitment to pyramid clause thus have guaranteed Scottish Cup entry & are big fish in a small pond thus winning trophies/leagues on the regular.

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

In the event of Cove going up would love to see Banks o’ Dee Berwick Rangers having to take a crack at the Highland League. but apparently they’re not up for it? 

:whistle

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Happy where they are as they got licensed before the commitment to pyramid clause thus have guaranteed Scottish Cup entry & are big fish in a small pond thus winning trophies/leagues on the regular.

I know but you’d hope for a bit of ambition?

Great facilities at Spain Park 

Just now, Frank Grimes said:

Bit of a trek to Wick, like 

Aye, and they complain at the minute about going to Borough Briggs on a wet Tuesday in November...

It's always funny watching the desperation of pyramid obsessives to have a neat system hit the brick wall of indifferent reality. I;d love to see Orkney and Shetland sides included but it just won't happen anytime soon.

There really isn't too much clamour to join the HL from anyone as far as I know, and the league seems quite happy to bumble along on the "it's aye been" principle; no change please we're Highlanders. The only way this will be shaken up is is the SFA threaten to start their own North of the Tay system owing to the HFL's foot dragging on progression and development, and decades of Brezhnevite stagnation.

There's mumblings here and there from the likes of Tain St.Duthus about "long term vision" to progress but there's no one breaking the door down.

As well invite these Eriskay lads in: it's about as likely as Halkirk, an Orkney select, or anyone else.

p0762czr.jpg

image.jpeg.c8f74fe18dddbf31e9d9a2e98e4d5653.jpeg

Don't fancy anyone's chances playing into horizontal sleet on that pitch. They'd likely finish above the Fort, at minimum.

17 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

As well invite these Eriskay lads in: it's about as likely as Halkirk, an Orkney select, or anyone else.

I'd love to see Orkney get in, it's only one awayday a year. They'd need a travel subsidy though, like the Rugby teams get.

4 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

They're fed up of being rebuffed by the HL so are now saying they're not interested in a "see if we care" kind of way. I think they'd jump at it if they were made a serious offer.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:50, ArabAuslander said:

Two candidates I could think of are BOD and Aberdeen Uni - in terms of facilities. But one suffers from a lack of quality (albeit in the HL that's not an issue) and Hillhead isn't great. BOD have said they don't want to join, yet.

Aberdeen Uni are a pretty poor side and the facilities at Hillhead are not good at all - the pitch is abysmal. I would be amazed if they were anywhere near the HL.

4 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

It's always funny watching the desperation of pyramid obsessives to have a neat system hit the brick wall of indifferent reality. I;d love to see Orkney and Shetland sides included but it just won't happen anytime soon.

There really isn't too much clamour to join the HL from anyone as far as I know, and the league seems quite happy to bumble along on the "it's aye been" principle; no change please we're Highlanders. The only way this will be shaken up is is the SFA threaten to start their own North of the Tay system owing to the HFL's foot dragging on progression and development, and decades of Brezhnevite stagnation.

There's mumblings here and there from the likes of Tain St.Duthus about "long term vision" to progress but there's no one breaking the door down.

p0762czr.jpg

image.jpeg.c8f74fe18dddbf31e9d9a2e98e4d5653.jpeg

Don't fancy anyone's chances playing into horizontal sleet on that pitch. They'd likely finish above the Fort, at minimum.

As a “pyramid obsessive” I actually agree with a lot of that...

I’d be delighted if they told the HL to f**k off and opened a new league to any takers, then watch as the HL slowly fell in ruin just like the East Juniors. Would serve them all right imo

3 hours ago, Spyro said:

As a “pyramid obsessive” I actually agree with a lot of that...

I’d be delighted if they told the HL to f**k off and opened a new league to any takers, then watch as the HL slowly fell in ruin just like the East Juniors. Would serve them all right imo

A very short queue I think you'd find.

Five years ago Edinburgh City were averaging 79 for league games this season their average is 391. Might be "not packing it in" but seems to be a decent increase in attendance.
But then City now have a bar in the ground!

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

A very short queue I think you'd find.

That’s what the East’s thought before Dalkeith pulled the trigger...

If the Aberdeenshire and Tayside teams got together and proposed a fair way to integrate with the pyramid system, the HL might just get left behind. Depends how deep the SFA self preservation goes