Notre Dame

I think that this is the last thing they fucking want from her.

Liz Davidson described firefighters as "heroes" for saving priceless artefacts from both the iconic French cathedral and the Glasgow art school.

She said they planned to offer to help and advice on restoring the historic building to its former glory.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-47951065

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Installing sprinklers a bit earlier might be an idea this time.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/jun/17/glasgow-school-of-art-fire-rennie-mackintosh-sprinklers

7 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

The Arnault and Pinault families, owners of Louis Vuitton and Gucci, have this morning donated €300 million between them to assist with the restoration. Millions more coming in by the hour.

It appears the French government have gone out with the begging bowls.

I was half-listening to the news at lunch today and heard that a donation fund had reached "400 million from three donors", so than you for explaining this.

The Arnault and Pinault families, owners of Louis Vuitton and Gucci, have this morning donated €300 million between them to assist with the restoration. Millions more coming in by the hour.

It appears the French government have gone out with the begging bowls.
I notice another, particular set of utter c***s throwing a humungous volume of cash at it.... Bit ironic given their begging bowl narrative to their workers.

^^^yep, seething.

I notice another, particular set of utter c***s throwing a humungous volume of cash at it.... Bit ironic given their begging bowl narrative to their workers.

^^^yep, seething.

I had a good rant earlier when I seen it, also seething.

Up to €700 million now that the Bettencourt’s (L’Oreal) have thrown in €200 million also.

By the end of day, they’ll have near enough €1 billion handed over, by half a dozen of the richest people on the planet, that will barely register the cash missing. This world is truly fucked.

43 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

The woman behind the restoration of Glasgow School of Art's fire-ravaged Mackintosh building has described the Notre-Dame blaze as "déjà vu".

No, a proper example of déjà vu would be something like the Glasgow School of Art burning down followed by the Glasgow School of Art burning down.

2 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Up to €700 million now that the Bettencourt’s (L’Oreal) have thrown in €200 million also.

By the end of day, they’ll have near enough €1 billion handed over, by half a dozen of the richest people on the planet, that will barely register the cash missing. This world is truly fucked.

It's an assortment of bungs to the taxman imo

WE NEED TO REMAIN COMPETITIVE!

Go and f**k yourself.

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

^^^yep, seething.

To whom are you referring? I like a good moan about hypocrisy to less cynical people than myself but I need all the facts before I start moaning.

To whom are you referring? I like a good moan about hypocrisy to less cynical people than myself but I need all the facts before I start moaning.
A certain French Oil company with a recent record of fucking over their employees and contractors over significantly smaller sums than mentioned

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
14 minutes ago, The OP said:

A certain French Oil company with a recent record of fucking over their employees and contractors over significantly smaller sums than mentioned

I won't name the company in case I'm wrong and a legal team hunts me down. 

Total bellends by the sounds of it though. 

I know things are a bit like, raw - emotions are still raw - but what happened was a tragedy. And I wanna talk about some of the responses of people, vloggers and on YouTube etc and the negative responses. I know a lot of people don’t want to talk about it, giving these people the air of oxygen, of publicity that they so crave BUT I’m gonna try and address some of that. I saw one vlogger from a council house - now I don’t have anything against people from council house estates, I know a lot of people who have friends from a council house. But one vlogger was from a council estate and one of the things he said about the Notre Dame was that people were grieving over the Notre Dame - like, can you believe that? He’s got a problem with that. And who was there to grieve over his primary school when that closed down? And his community centre when that burned down - who was there to grieve for that, why should he grieve for Notre Dame? I know I’m going to get a lot of stick for this, I feel like deleting this comment right now, I know I’m going to get a lot of stick for what I’m about to say. But, Notre Dame and the contents, the things that have been made - they’ve actually touched a lot of people. They’ve affected people who have travelled all over the world to get to different cathedrals. And they’ve touched a lot of people and changed their minds about things and made them think - that’s what cathedrals do. But these community centres in council house estates, I’ve absolutely nothing against council house estates, but these things that closed down and got burnt down - they were burnt down by the people who live there. It wasn’t an accident, they got burnt down and closed down by the people who live there because they weren’t needed anymore. And these community centres and primary schools only served the people who actually lived there. They didn’t touch anyone else, they didn’t go all around the world. They only served the communities that they were in. They did nothing. Other than for the communities they served they did nothing. NOTHING.

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Surely with 13 million visitors per year there is a fair wedge of cash stashed away somewhere for a rainy day, or in this case, a blazing inferno. 

Still paying off Pope Benedict's loan for that second Death Star and a new fleet of Star Destroyers I'd imagine.

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

I'm more raging that one of them is getting to pump Salma Hayek on a regular basis.