Keep/punt/undecided

On 4/25/2019 at 13:24, GableEnder21 said:

Difficult to comment on this topic from a Mo point of view. It has been a tremendous season for the Gable Endies and so there are no obvious players that I would want punted.

Bolo is off to Spartans and we will lose Henderson, Antoinazzi and Harrington at the end of the season because they were loan deals.

Fully expect Foxy to retire and take up a coaching role alongside RC.

Think Webby and Callaghan will do well to get new deals for next season. Would be interested to hear other Mo fans opinions.

Think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Been a great season for us with no particularly outstanding individuals, just a lot of great team performances involving petty much everyone in the squad. Agree with your comments re Callaghan and Webby as they haven't featured much & I wonder if they will be offloaded to allow one or two new signings. I think a lot of these decisions may be on hold just now until we are sure of which league we will be in next season. After years of shite at Montrose, what a great position we currently find ourselves in. Long may it continue!

It all really depends on which league we’re in next season as to who we keep etc.

Based purely on the fact, we’re absolutely murder in a playoff, I’ll base it on us being stuck here next season.

Keep

Vaughan
Nisbet
Murray
Thomson
McKay
Matthews
Dingwall

Undecided

Bene
Gillespie
Buchanan

Punt

Davo
Lyness
Crane
Barjonas
Wedderburn
Duggan( looked decent when played but injured majority of the season.)

Wouldn’t be against us bringing Gullan back for next season.

Should also be trying our absolute hardest to get Hendry back.

Not sure if I’ve missed anyone

So you would basically keep a side that has failed this season at all levels. 

I would keep Vaughan as an injury free Vaughan would rip teams apart. I would keep Gillespie and build a midfield round him. Nisbet as he has shown he can score goals. I would also keep McKay as I still think with good coaching he will be a player. I would punt the rest and completely rebuild. First two players I would try and sign are Hendry if fully fit and try and bring Armstrong back as he is unlikely to get a game with Ross County in the SPL considering he has struggled for game time since moving.

Evaluate all the kids and punt who won't make the grade no point carrying youth.

So you would basically keep a side that has failed this season at all levels. 

I would keep Vaughan as an injury free Vaughan would rip teams apart. I would keep Gillespie and build a midfield round him. Nisbet as he has shown he can score goals. I would also keep McKay as I still think with good coaching he will be a player. I would punt the rest and completely rebuild. First two players I would try and sign are Hendry if fully fit and try and bring Armstrong back as he is unlikely to get a game with Ross County in the SPL considering he has struggled for game time since moving.

Evaluate all the kids and punt who won't make the grade no point carrying youth.

Yes I agree with you on this. There’s only a handful of players I’d keep. The whole defence has to go. No point in scoring goals if we can’t keep them out at the other end. You could put Lyness and Thomson in goals at the same time and we’d bloody concede. No way we’ll get through the play offs with that lot at the back. McKay is the only plus point in the worst defence ever.

Unfortunately we’ll never see Armstrong in a Rovers shirt again.....unless this rabble gets promoted. But that would mean McGlynn and the board going all guns blazing in securing his signature. Hendry coming back would be awesome too. But I don’t think Celtic will loan him to us.

On 25/04/2019 at 21:03, ecto said:

Think Kadar, Denholm, McCord and Hill will be away possibly Whately and Doris also

add Donnelly and Spence, do not see what they bring to the team, put the pair of them down to a senior moment by the manager

My Opinion on this has changed a few times I have to admit but since I won’t see the team play again this season I feel I can now make my final list. I will exclude loan players from this.

Keep:-
Grant Adam - Yes he’s prone to a moment of madness but over the second half of the season I think he’s been fairly reliable. I would be content with him in goals next season as long as he has somebody providing decent competition.

Cammy Ballantine - He’s been one of our stand-out players and I think our chances of keeping him are slim. Hopefully the Montrose rumour is a load of pish though.

Craig Barr - Had a long injury during the middle of the season but since he came back, he’s been solid enough.

Brian McLean - I think he was shaky at first but now he’s settled in he’s been pretty comfortable and has given us some much needed height at the back.

Stuart Carswell - Like Ballantine he’s been a standout performer. We are definitely much worse when he’s not playing in central midfield. If we could pair him next to a box-to-box midfielder next season we will be looking strong in that area.

Ross Forbes - Definitely has the lazy b*****d trait about him but you really can’t argue with his quality on the ball. He’s a must keep, however, I wish never to see him in central midfield again. The right wing suits him just fine because he can cut in and do what he feels like doing on that left peg.

Bobby Barr - He’s definitely done enough to merit a new contract. My main concern is that if Forbes is on the Right wing, ideally we would want someone with a lot of pace on the left. Barr is nippy but he’s not rapid anymore and I’m unsure if he would be happy on the bench. Despite this I will include him in the keep list because he has deserved a new contract.

Calum Gallagher - He’s changed my opinion recently, I have to admit. His finishing is far improved and he works very hard. In addition to this he appears to be obtaining the trait of finding himself in the right place at the right time.

Get Rid:-
Connor Brennan - Not sure he’s totally committed to the club plus when he did play he looked a total bombscare from Crosses despite having a decent game overall.

Ross Perry - He’s constantly injured and isn’t good enough to be risked with a new contract. Definitely wasn’t anywhere near as bad as expected when he did play.

Willie Dyer - He’s was absolutely rotten. Hopefully he recovers from injury/illness swiftly if that’s the reason why he’s disappeared since January.

Kyle Hutton - Put in a couple of decent performances of late but has very restricted mobility and isn’t on the same level as Carswell. I don’t think it would be hard to find someone who’s consistently better and on less of a wage than him.

Ryan Thomson - Just isn’t up to this level.

Michael Paton - No doubt he would have been decent player 2 or 3 years ago but unfortunately due to injuries the legs are absolutely ruined, hence why he’s been awful all season.

Boris Melingui- The wee man gives everything but as much as a I wanted him to be a success, I just don’t think he’s up to it.

Rory Loy - He’s crippled by injury. I hope he gets his back sorted but I do have doubts about whether he will play again.

This leaves us with potentially:-

Adam
Ballantine, C Barr, McLean, New*
Forbes, New*, Carswell, New*
Gallagher, New*

New*, New,*, New*, New*, New*, B Barr, New*

Jamieson - Keep.
Been a great addition to the squad and an excellent keeper.

Thomson - Keep
Experienced right back who can also cover centre half if required.

Hamilton - Keep

I personally am a big fan of hammy, good in the air, decent passing and a goal threat plus he won the league at Starks Park.

Little - Keep

Nobody deserves a crack at the championship more than Ricky. Future hall of famer

TOB - Keep

A class above on a lot of occasions.

Kader - undecided

Lots of endeavour and has finished the season well but the championship may be a step to far. Wouldn't be surprised if he stayed though.

Whatley - Keep

I think he brings a lot to the midfield, excellent work rate.

Swankie - Keep

Fantastic vision and a great footballer, not sure we'll see him play 90 mins every week next season but will contribute.

Linn - Keep

Legend

Wallace - Keep

Think he has the class for a campaign in the championship.

McKenna - Keep

Fantastic work rate and has been a massively important part of the team since he joined.

Gold - Keep

When running a small squad having a true utility player is important and Gold can play almost anywhere in the team, excellent footballer to back that up.

Doris - Keep

With a full pre season I think Doris can add to the squad.

McCord - Undecided

Not sure the wage bill can accomadate a player that probably won't get the game time. Massive talent but won't be shocked if he goes.

Denholm - Punt

I like Danny but can't see him being there next season.

Donnely - Punt

Not good enough

Spence - Punt

Lacking confidence and don't know if he will get it back anytime soon.

Hill - Retire

Think he will hang up the boots.

So now confirmed as relegated I think that changes things,

paddy keep

been really unlucky this year

mclean keep

not had a great year but now relegated he should be a no brainer

spark keep 

he will be ok in league 2

mcgeever keep

Only because we are Down, he has a lot to prove constantly injured does well for a few games then has a nightmare or gets injured again

j tapping keep

raw but he has done well

hill keep

he will be away, to good for this level so far to good for league 2, be great to keep

burns keep

one of our better ones

sinclare keep

only for league 2 he has ability but no application injury prone aswell

smith keep 

can’t dictate play just an athlete but has done enough for a new deal

miller keep

love to keep but he may not want to come down with us

Orsi keep

only because we have went down

thomson keep

stand out when fit 

roberston keep 

needs a pre season

jackson

nowhere near it this year but keep and hope he gets through pre season

punt 

bowman

not convinced

shields

always injured

kavanah

worst player I’ve seen in shirt in years

lynas

100% player but not quite good enough yet

really need a couple of strikers that can score, if we keep the majority of they players and add an attacking threat we won’t be far away but I feel we could be left with nothing

paddy keep

mclean keep

spark keep 

mcgeever keep

Only because we are Down, he has a lot to prove constantly injured does well for a few games then has a nightmare or gets injured again

j tapping keep

raw but he has done well

hill keep

he will be away, to good for this level so far to good for league 2, be great to keep

burns keep

one of our better ones

sinclare keep

smith keep 

miller keep

Orsi keep

thomson keep

stand out when fit 

roberston keep 

needs a pre season

jackson

punt 

bowman

not convinced

shields

always injured

kavanah

lynas

really need a couple of strikers that can score, if we keep the majority of they players and add an attacking threat we won’t be far away but I feel we could be left with nothing

Pretty much agree with this would keep lynas if Barry doesn't stay think hes a decent player and 100% committed. On Hill when leaving the ground he was talking to me and Jon (the American) he said I think we can get back up next year but it will be a tough league. So to me it sounds like hes not planning on leaving

Keep:

Craig Thomson - been our best player since he's signed

Callum Tapping - would be our best player if fit

Euan Smith - think he has more to offer us

Scott Robertson - brings a bit of composure to the team

Dougie Hill - wouldn't have kept him if we stayed up but should stroll it in League 2

Euan Spark - imagine he's on relatively cheap wages and is solid enough

Undecided:

Paul McLean - very poor season by his standards

Sean Burns - started the season well but tailed off

Mikey Miller - not seen enough of him to judge

Jordan Sinclair - imagine he will go as he's not really been in favour/injured but think he would do ok in League 2.  Keep if he's not on big wages

Andy Jackson - no brainer if he can stay fit, hasn't looked in the best of shape lately and hasn't been helped by the long ball tactics.

Punt:

Not fussed about the rest, think we need a big clear out and start over.  Special mention to Kavanagh who is as poor a player as I've seen in 20+ years watching Brechin.  Think Barry Smith needs to go as well. 

55 minutes ago, Brechin City FC said:

Keep:

Craig Thomson - been our best player since he's signed

Callum Tapping - would be our best player if fit

Euan Smith - think he has more to offer us

Scott Robertson - brings a bit of composure to the team

Dougie Hill - wouldn't have kept him if we stayed up but should stroll it in League 2

Euan Spark - imagine he's on relatively cheap wages and is solid enough

Undecided:

Paul McLean - very poor season by his standards

Sean Burns - started the season well but tailed off

Mikey Miller - not seen enough of him to judge

Jordan Sinclair - imagine he will go as he's not really been in favour/injured but think he would do ok in League 2.  Keep if he's not on big wages

Andy Jackson - no brainer if he can stay fit, hasn't looked in the best of shape lately and hasn't been helped by the long ball tactics.

Punt:

Not fussed about the rest, think we need a big clear out and start over.  Special mention to Kavanagh who is as poor a player as I've seen in 20+ years watching Brechin.  Think Barry Smith needs to go as well. 

Surely get rid of the lot and start again, including the manager

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Surely get rid of the lot and start again, including the manager

Yeah not hard to see Brechin’s problems if they are content to keep all that, there’s not one player on their books you would want as far as I can see. The delusion that poor players in League One will be ok in League Two is very dangerous too.

We already have a lot of lads signed up for next year:

Keep (already signed): Long, Dunsmore, Dunlop, Slattery, Bell, Agnew, Davidson, Watt, Smith, Dowds

Keep (optional): Craig Watson, Meggatt

Punt: Docherty (think he'll be asked to stay), Kane, Linton, Higgins, Terry, Court

Loans: Broque Watson (don't re-sign), Murdoch and Currie (potentially re-sign both)

Very harsh on Kane and Linton especially here, but factored into that is the fact they've barely played and both could easily start for at worst a league 2 team. I'm not a fan of either of Docherty or Higgins, but that's just a personal opinion.  Terry was guff when he played. Court is not cut out for this level in the slightest. The loans, ideally you want a loan player to improve the side.  I only saw Murdoch once and Currie showed some decent touches so I wouldn't mind them returning, but I'd rather Currie returned and actually started. His game time has been limited but he can score goals. 

Would like to see Meggatt re-sign and Craig Watson if he overcomes his injury and gets back to full fitness. Of the players resigned, there’s one or two I think we maybe shouldn’t have extended their contracts.
If Stewart Murdoch can prove he is over his injuries, I think he’d be worth signing if he gets released from United.
We will definitely need another keeper, not just back up but someone to compete with Long for the number 1 jersey. Could really do with signing a big, dominant, no nonsense Centre Half and a leftback if Meggatt doesn’t resign. Need a midfielder powerhouse, an out and out winger and two strikers - one big and athletic and another penalty box poacher. I think Kev Smith will be a bit part player next season and will be used to provide an experienced head on the park, hence the need for two strikers to compliment Dowds.
It will be a tougher league next year, with Falkirk coming down and Peterhead are never short of a bob or two to bring players in. Airdrie bringing in some full time players will see them stronger than this season. Hopefully we make signings quickly.

1 hour ago, nofixedability said:

Yeah not hard to see Brechin’s problems if they are content to keep all that, there’s not one player on their books you would want as far as I can see. The delusion that poor players in League One will be ok in League Two is very dangerous too.

Interesting as the rumour mill has Forfar after one of our players.

paddy keep
mclean keep
spark keep 
mcgeever keep
j tapping keep
raw but he has done well
hill keep
burns keep
one of our better ones
sinclare keep
smith keep 
miller keep
Orsi keep
thomson keep
stand out when fit 
roberston keep 
needs a pre season
jackson

punt 
bowman
not convinced
shields
always injured
kavanah
lynas

You can’t be serious surely. Half the reason we’ve been relegated this year is because we kept on most of the players from the debacle in the Championship. We surely won’t make the same mistake again.

First person to go should be Smith. Has come in and made a terrible side even worse.

I’d keep half a dozen players maximum. O’Neil, Hill, Tapping, Thomson and maybe Jacko.

Falkirk have only 5 players signed up for next season despite having signed 50 players in 2 years. Those signed for next year are:

Mutch - young but potential. Been on loan at Deveronvale so who knows what recent form is.

McShane - was raved about by St Mirren but lacks consistency.

Paton - hard as nails. Started poor but now a fans favourite.

Petravicius - being a full Lithuanian international, unlikely he will stay on but is under contract. McKinnon seems to prefer playing him out of position up front rather than on the wing.

McLean - his debut and last Saturday were his best. Other than that...meh.

Those out of contract, and if we can afford them, I'd keep:

Robson - probably the best left back in the championship. Just don't think his face fit.

Mitchell - would be a solid league 1 keeper.

McGhee - every club needs a utility player

Rudden - contract runs out at The Rangers at the end of the month. Would love him back but likely to be at championship team

The rest, not much fussed about.