scobbie : ultimate steady player nothing flashy just does his job

undecided

jackson  :looks done this year still has moments of magic but fewer every week

mcgeever : not had a great run at brechin

oneil : did ok but just ok

orsi : can be unplayable on his day , not enough this year

e smith: bit of a meh I wouldn’t want him starting every week in midfield

punt

mclean : great servent but he’s not got legs to play full back and can’t play cb

shields: injured seen him play 3 times in 2 spells

lynas : 100% player but rash we have better options

sinclare : has the ability , to busy arguing with refs and own players and always injured

kavanah: just a really bad player

Keep 
hill 
thomson
miller (looks the part)
robertson
c tapping (if he can stay fit)
spark 
burns
toshney (if he can get fit)
scobbie : ultimate steady player nothing flashy just does his job
undecided
jackson  :looks done this year still has moments of magic but fewer every week
mcgeever : not had a great run at brechin
oneil : did ok but just ok
orsi : can be unplayable on his day , not enough this year
e smith: bit of a meh I wouldn’t want him starting every week in midfield
punt
mclean : great servent but he’s not got legs to play full back and can’t play cb
shields: injured seen him play 3 times in 2 spells
lynas : 100% player but rash we have better options
sinclare : has the ability , to busy arguing with refs and own players and always injured
kavanah: just a really bad player

Doubt we would be able to keep Toshney and Scobbie I know they are out of contract with United but not sure they would want to drop down the league two. Would quite happily have them both though

We already have a lot of lads signed up for next year:

Keep (already signed): Long, Dunsmore, Dunlop, Slattery, Bell, Agnew, Davidson, Watt, Smith, Dowds

Keep (optional): Craig Watson, Meggatt

Punt: Docherty (think he'll be asked to stay), Kane, Linton, Higgins, Terry, Court

Loans: Broque Watson (don't re-sign), Murdoch and Currie (potentially re-sign both)

Very harsh on Kane and Linton especially here, but factored into that is the fact they've barely played and both could easily start for at worst a league 2 team. I'm not a fan of either of Docherty or Higgins, but that's just a personal opinion.  Terry was guff when he played. Court is not cut out for this level in the slightest. The loans, ideally you want a loan player to improve the side.  I only saw Murdoch once and Currie showed some decent touches so I wouldn't mind them returning, but I'd rather Currie returned and actually started. His game time has been limited but he can score goals. 

Would keep Linton.... best crosser of the ball and at free kicks!

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

At a total guess, Denholm is still a good L1 player and can see him at Montrose or something whilst Kader could still be good in L2 I reckon. Maybe Edinburgh City or Spartans. McCord will have his pick of teams and reckon he'll stay closer to home so maybe a Brechin or East Fife or something.

Edinburgh City and Omar go a long way back... still, wouldn't mind having the wee shite in the team! Can see him maybe going back to Spartans though. 

We'll take Denholm back if you're finished playing with him now. Ta. 

I'm making this mark list on the proviso we're still in League 1 next season, alright.

Signed on for next season

• Graeme Smith - probably the best goalie we've had at the club since Greg Fleming. There have been one or two shaky moments this season but, on the whole, he's saved us on numerous occasions and is probably a decent shout for our Player of the Year.
  • Andy Munro - it's not exaggerating to say he's probably been the most important January signing since Eric Paton in 2011. A hard player, a good organiser and communicator, he's marshalled the defence well and brought a new-found solidity to our backline. I'm delighted he's signed up for next term.
  • Kieron Gibbons - Gibbons was signed on a two-year contract from East Kilbride in the summer but it's fair to say he hasn't made all that much of an impact. A red card against Brechin City on the opening day of the season set the tone and I don't think the manager or the supporters have ever really trusted him since.
  • Mark McGuigan - the best of all time. I still can't quite believe the big man's staying on until 2021!

Keep

• David Marsh - Marsh has proven himself to be a very useful player since returning to the club from Cowdenbeath. He is 100 per cent meat and potatoes but we look far more solid with him in the team.
  • Morgyn Neill - Neill has played well in fits and starts but he's looked a lot more capable alongside Andy Munro. I'm not completely sold on him but I believe there's a good defender in there; they're hard to come across so I'd want him around next term.
  • Ruaridh Donaldson - Donaldson started the season well, fell away and lost his place in the team, but regained it and has performed very decently over the last few weeks. I thought he might be looking to play at a bigger club than Stenhousemuir next term but another season at Ochilview might serve him well.
  • Alan Cook - one of the most frustrating players I've seen at the Warriors but when he's on form he's tremendous. Cook offers great drive down the left and can occasionally whip in world-class crosses - I just wish he'd do it more often! That's why he's in League 1 and not in the Champions League.
  • Greg Hurst - what a signing he's been! Hurst offers us something different in attack and he's already formed a formidable partnership with Mark McGuigan. I like him a lot and hope we can convince him to stay on for next season.

Punt

• Lewis McMinn - the reserve goalkeeper hasn't really been called upon during his time at the club but he hasn't looked too clever when he has. He was really poo in the 4-1 defeat to Arbroath in January and I wouldn't really feel comfortable seeing him in goal again in the future.
  • Mark Ferry - "Punt" is far too harsh when discussing Ferry - he's been a really good player for us over the past two years - but I think a third season might be too far. He's slow and a little immobile and his short passing, the strongest facet of his game, has looked a little wayward of late.
  • Ryan Watters - signed as back up to Mark McGuigan and Greg Hurst and never likely to be anything more.

Undecided

• Alan Reid - a player who looked rubbish over the first half of the season but has quietly developed into a good presence at right-back. He might have done enough to convince the manager he's worth keeping on for 2019/20. I don't know.
  • Thomas Halleran - a very tidy player with a good range of passing and good dead-ball delivery, he's a little lightweight for the rough and tumble of League 1; he still looks like he's 11 years old.
  • Sean Dickson - a fine player for Stenhousemuir during his first spell at the club but I don't think it's really worked out this time around. I don't think the manager knows what his best position is or exactly where he fits into the starting XI.
  • Conner Duthie - probably one of the most skilful players at the club, who can dazzle with his mazy runs, but he lets himself down by running into cul-de-sacs or with a poor final ball. Worth persevering with, right enough.

Loan players

• Conor McBrearty (St Mirren) - he isn't much of a centre-back but he's been very effective as a destructive midfielder. Energetic, tenacious, someone who gets wired in, McBrearty has been great over the last few months. He might not be what St Mirren are looking for but we could certainly do with him going forward.
  • Russell Dingwall (Ross County) - I'm not quite sure what he brings to the team or how he's better than the likes of Sean Dickson or Thomas Halleran. Red carded against Brechin City a couple of weeks ago and I've been suspicious of him ever since.
  • Seb Ross (Aberdeen) - highly rated by his parent club, apparently, I haven't really seen enough of Ross to suggest he's capable of making it at the Dons. He's been out for a long spell with injury but other than a well-taken goal in a win over Dumbarton, he hasn't really done a lot.

Edinburgh City and Omar go a long way back... still, wouldn't mind having the wee shite in the team! Can see him maybe going back to Spartans though. 

We'll take Denholm back if you're finished playing with him now. Ta. 

Said you or Spartans purely because he's an Edinburgh lad.

As for Denholm... There's a very good player in Denholm, he picked up a bad injury against Forfar last season and hasn't found the form he had shown before that since. He was probably my favourite player last season. He's not really had a great run in the team to be fair to him but not sure we'd be able to give him that in the league above either. Still wouldn't be surprised to see him stay but think he will get a good deal somewhere. Maybe you guys though who knows I'm sure he lives in Leith.

For EF Remaining are Agnew, Long, Dunlop, Dunsmore, Taco, Tonks,d  Watt, Slattery, Kev, Davidson.

Signing in - Hunter  that makes 11.

i would keep -

Linton - Good at set piece and can play in defence and midfield.

Murdoch - played one game v Arbroath and came to us on loan from Utd still think if he wasn't injured he would of played a part.

Janny - is a must, he was coming onto a game forming a partnership with either Dunlop and Meggat before Higgins was drafted in on loan and his recent injury still is a massive leader in defence department. So a must sign for next season.

Meggat - likewise with Watson he needs to stay at bay view, massive upgrade from last season and is one of our better CHs within the team with vast experience, quality, defending me leadership from the back.

Dunno pile -

Court - had expectations he would be great and get goals than his former employers at RR, has managed to get a couple (including Fife Cup) but part from that he's had chances to deliver, would keep if we can't find an upgrade to the four strikers we do need to get us goals as well as defending to deliver any success so jury's out until something changes.

Higgins - brings in vast experience bit disappointed he hasn't lived up to much but he's in my dunno pile for nows.

Daniel Terry - has done ok part from the Forfar game on his debut but the guy is just a back up and when call upon he's been great.

Bin

Kano - I think nows the time and hasn't been up to much this season particularly.

Sparky - feel it's time to move on.

Couser - needs to be playing regularly if he's still with us then he needs to find football elsewhere.

Loaned

RC - will go back to hearts, would love to keep Currie but question he'll want to test himself elsewhere out onloan or be near the hearts bench.

Watson - I'm failing to see what he has bring to the table he still has a long long way of getting anywhere near the well 1st team and I felt we should of kept Craig Thomson but he wasn't getting much games either and left for Brechin.

Hope no Mo fans will post anything on this thread till after this season is over.

After last season, along with others, I'm sure, I was left scratching my head, when we began the campaign with a "depleted" side. Really wondered about SP's loyalty to championship winning side and apparent failure to strengthen side for step up to League 1.

Horsing by Arbroath, match day one didn't augur well but can't say I'm disappointed that my early season doubts were proved unfounded.

Montrose FC is definitely greater than the sum of its parts and SP has been instrumental in building that team ethos. Overall sense of progress and achievement makes this thread seem "brutal".

Like last year, players will move on, Bolo for example is moving to Spartans, but hopefully no "night of the long knives" wholesale clear out, as SP and team continue building and improving.

We are the Mo! 

Edited by Brummo
Politeness

Keep: Thomson, Murray, McKay, Dingwall, Gillespie, Vaughan, Nisbet, Matthews. I'd keep all the young lads too as they've all showed something when I've seen them, as infrequent as that's been. 

Loanees: Of the loanees, I'd like to see us try and get Reagan Hendry back, and maybe Gullan. The others I'm not fussed for. Crane has been a massive disappointment. For a full back, he can't cross a ball nor can he defend. 

Undecided: Wedderburn (good strength and passing but canni run), Buchanan (feel like he's come onto this season, amazing first touch but think his best days are passed now). Benedictus (preferred over Davo but can be awfully reckless, i.e. why he's been out injured). Lyness (not seen a lot of him but not really been convinced by him when he's played).

Punt: Can punt the rest.

Flanagan has been a big disappointment, absolutely powderpuff, (I know he's contracted but I'd move him on). 

Duggan hasn't shown a lot, aside from a great performance against The Townies. Don't think that merits him staying but I have a feeling we'll be seeing him within our ranks next season.

Davo has had some great games but he's also had some absolute nightmares. I think it's time he retired. Oldest on the pitch but the biggest cry baby.

Have I missed anyone?

On 16/04/2019 at 03:26, Brummo said:

Hope no Mo fans will post anything on this thread till after this season is over.

Will say the same for Stranraer.

Think it's fairly obvious those who are most likely to get picked up or shipped out, but hopefully we'll keep a decent core of players to rebuild around and keep developing the youngsters.

I don't know who is on another year contract (Victoria? ) but I would not miss any of the following next season ,from the "experienced " players:

Jonathan Page/ Scott Robertson/Sean Mcintosh/Ryan Conroy/Grant Gallagher/Daryll Duffy: If carrick is fit I would keep him

Undecided about Keiran Mcdonald/Scott Stewart/Dean Cairns

I think there is a player in Keiran Millar and Sean Crighton has a L1 Centre back partner somewhere.( Cairns?)

Keep: David Hutton/Chris O'Neil/Ben McKenzie

Bring back our young players on loan. 

In other words start again by de findlaying.

15 hours ago, Moonball said:

Will say the same for Stranraer.

Think it's fairly obvious those who are most likely to get picked up or shipped out, but hopefully we'll keep a decent core of players to rebuild around and keep developing the youngsters.

Jamie Hamill to Raith just for the scenes of blood vessels bursting everywhere

Keep:

1st Team: Hutton Crighton O'Neil Macdonald Wilkie & Carrick Punt rest & start again

Reserves/subs: Gallacher (if fit)/ Mackenzie  Hawkshaw Robertson (as back up only) Cairns

Punt rest & start again

Loanees (Out) would get rid of them all (In) would like to see Campbell back rest were just Meh

54 minutes ago, CumbyDiamond said:

Keep:

1st Team: Hutton Crighton O'Neil Macdonald Wilkie & Carrick Punt rest & start again

Reserves/subs: Gallacher (if fit)/ Mackenzie  Hawkshaw Robertson (as back up only) Cairns

Punt rest & start again

Loanees (Out) would get rid of them all (In) would like to see Campbell back rest were just Meh

see, this is the thing that I realised...by the time I keep everyone that I like, the squad will be too similar to this years. Which means the same failures. Ruthlessness is required.