Keep/Punt/Undecided

Stolen from the premiership forum. With the season drawing to a close its time to start discussing who from your squad you’d Keep, Punt or in some cases fire into the sea and who your undecided on. 

For Ayr

Goalkeepers:

Ross Doohan- Currently on loan from Celtic, after the disaster of last seasons goalkeepers Ayr fans were quite nervous when it was announced we had signed a young boy on loan from Celtic to be our number 1 but he’s been outstanding. Our whole transfer window should involve McCall chasing the Celtic coaches about trying to get Doohan back for next season. KEEP

Ellis Hare-Reid- I know little about him but I’d imagine he would be on much wages. I’d offer him a new deal if he’s happy to be back up again. KEEP

Defenders:

Daniel Harvie- Signed a two year deal in the summer so we’ve got him again for next season. I’m pretty happy with this as although he is a scapegoat for a lot of the fans I think he does have potential. KEEP

Liam Smith- Has signed a PCA with Dundee United. Would have loved to keep him but it was never happening. PUNT

Michael Rose- Has signed a PCA with Coventry. Based on his form prior to the announcment he has signed for them I’m gutted by this but given his form since he won’t be much of a loss. PUNT

Andy Geggan- Andy Geggan loves Ayr United and I love Andy Geggan, nothing more needs said. KEEP

Stevie Bell- I love Belly but feel this level is a bit beyond him. Airdrie tried to sign him before he signed for us and I can see him going there although he is too handsome for that mob. PUNT

Jamie Adams- Similar to Bell, he has been a good servant for us but I think he’s a league 1 player.  He’ll go to Stranraer or a team in Ireland as was rumoured in the summer. PUNT

Aaron Muirhead- Signed an 18 month deal in January so he’ll be around next season. Has only featured a few times this season and done well each time. Will he be good enough to be a starter for us next season? I’m not sure. KEEP

David Ferguson- Signed a deal for next season before he was loaned out to Dumbarton. Think he’s doing ok there. Will be fine for a back up fullback. Keep

Chris Higgins- Currently on loan at East Fife which is probably his level these days. Heard he’s very good around the dressing room so would maybe keep him on in a coaching capacity but I’m presuming he’ll want to keep playing. PUNT

Midfielders:

Mark Kerr- in his late 30s (I think) and still bossing games, probably worth another year but with a view to having him mainly as back up next season. Keep

Ross Docherty- Has signed a new deal for next season which I’m a bit meh about. Will be fine as back up I guess but would be worried if McCall planned on having him as a regular starter. KEEP

Declan McDaid- Like the vast majority of wingers as this level Declan is very incostinent but I like him. I think he’s worth another year. KEEP

Alan Forrest- Started the season very well but has been injured for a large chunk of it. If he can find his form of the beginning of the season then he could be a very big player for us next year. Keep

Robbie Crawford- “The best kept secret in Scottish football” according to McCall- well he’s had a more than a little underwhelming season. Maybe controversial but I’d let him go, hasn’t progressed at nearly the level he was expected. PUNT

Nicky Cadden- On loan from Livi, was a bit of a waster in his first couple of appearances but has improved dramatically in recent weeks. Can beat a man and put a decent ball in. Something I love to see a winger doing. Not sure what his contract situation is at Livingston but wouldn’t be against having him next season. Keep

Calvin Miller- On loan from Celtic, again not sure on his contract situation but wouldn’t be averse to having him back next year. Keep

Craig McGuffie- signed a new deal before getting loaned out to RR. Think next season will be a big one in terms of his development, he needs to make a serious push to be a first team regular. He’s highly rated at the club but I’ve never been overly convinced. Keep

Andy Murdoch- Can’t believe I almost forgot about him. Has signed a new deal which is a massive coup for the club. Can’t believe Morton got rid of him. Love him more than life itself, give him a five year deal, Freedom of Ayr etc. Keep

Strikers: 

Lawrence Shankland- Not a hole in hell were keeping him, probably already signed a PCA somewhere (Swansea heavily rumoured). Has been a shadow of his former self since returning from injury, need him back on form for playoffs. Punt

Craig Moore- Maybe an unpopular opinion amongst Ayr fans but I’d keep him, seems to get a hard time from some as he’s not Lawrence Shankland but like him, he’s absoulotely fine as a third choice striker. Keep

Michael Moffat- Last but certainly not least, Moff. The man that arguably makes us tick. He is a must keep for me but I think he’s probably a bit pissed out at constantly getting subbed no matter how he’s playing. His bird had a bit of an outburst on Friday night so frustrations are obviously high. Please just stay Moff. Keep

Havent included the youngsters as not seen enough of them to judge. A few are pretty highly rated and will be interesting to see how many can push for squad places next year.

Over to you. 

Am I right in thinking only McShane, Paton, Petravicius and MacLean are under contract for next year?

Would only consider keeping Burgoyne (loan atm, no chance of keeping him), Rudden (same), Keillor-Dunn (likely same), Dixon and McGhee. Looking peachy for us..

Keep - Sneddon, Anderson (no chance), Elliott, O'Ware, Penrice, Saunders, Bannigan, Cardle, Fitzpatrick, Slater, Spittal, Doolan, McDonald (no chance)

Punt - Bell, Lennox, Keown, McGinty, McMillan (loan), Gordon, McCarthy, Harkins, Mansell, Roy, Storey (as far as possible)

Undecided - Hazard (on loan), Coulibaly (will we ever see him?)

Depends on what league we are in but there arent many realistic keepers in our squad. 

Regardless of league I would be happy to keep McShane Dixon and McGhee. I would keep Tommy Robson but the writing is in the wall for him.Any other proper keepers are loanees I think. 

Speaking of keepers, launch Leo Fasan into the Pacific ocean please. 

We’ve got McShane, Paton, Petra and McLean for next year. I’d probably only want to keep McShane from that lot.

Loan Signings
Edge- think he’s out of contract with United, would be happy at him resigning
DKD- We should be doing everything in our power to sign this boy.
Rudden- Same as DKD, don’t think we have a chance of getting him back but can’t see him getting a game at rangers so who knows.
Burgoyne- boys destined for the big time, we have no chance of getting him back.
Waddington- meh
Jarvis- punt
Lavery- punt

Out of contract
Dixon- keep
Robson- keep
McGhee- keep
McKenna- will probably be away.
Mitchell- punt
Fasan - lol
Kidd- punt
Osman- not sure tbh
McKee- punt
Ohara- punt

48 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Stolen from the premiership forum. With the season drawing to a close its time to start discussing who from your squad you’d Keep, Punt or in some cases fire into the sea and who your undecided on. 

For Ayr

Goalkeepers:

Ross Doohan- Currently on loan from Celtic, after the disaster of last seasons goalkeepers Ayr fans were quite nervous when it was announced we had signed a young boy on loan from Celtic to be our number 1 but he’s been outstanding. Our whole transfer window should involve McCall chasing the Celtic coaches about trying to get Doohan back for next season. KEEP

Ellis Hare-Reid- I know little about him but I’d imagine he would be on much wages. I’d offer him a new deal if he’s happy to be back up again. KEEP

Defenders:

Daniel Harvie- Signed a two year deal in the summer so we’ve got him again for next season. I’m pretty happy with this as although he is a scapegoat for a lot of the fans I think he does have potential. KEEP

Liam Smith- Has signed a PCA with Dundee United. Would have loved to keep him but it was never happening. PUNT

Michael Rose- Has signed a PCA with Coventry. Based on his form prior to the announcment he has signed for them I’m gutted by this but given his form since he won’t be much of a loss. PUNT

Andy Geggan- Andy Geggan loves Ayr United and I love Andy Geggan, nothing more needs said. KEEP

Stevie Bell- I love Belly but feel this level is a bit beyond him. Airdrie tried to sign him before he signed for us and I can see him going there although he is too handsome for that mob. PUNT

Jamie Adams- Similar to Bell, he has been a good servant for us but I think he’s a league 1 player.  He’ll go to Stranraer or a team in Ireland as was rumoured in the summer. PUNT

Aaron Muirhead- Signed an 18 month deal in January so he’ll be around next season. Has only featured a few times this season and done well each time. Will he be good enough to be a starter for us next season? I’m not sure. KEEP

David Ferguson- Signed a deal for next season before he was loaned out to Dumbarton. Think he’s doing ok there. Will be fine for a back up fullback. Keep

Chris Higgins- Currently on loan at East Fife which is probably his level these days. Heard he’s very good around the dressing room so would maybe keep him on in a coaching capacity but I’m presuming he’ll want to keep playing. PUNT

Midfielders:

Mark Kerr- in his late 30s (I think) and still bossing games, probably worth another year but with a view to having him mainly as back up next season. Keep

Ross Docherty- Has signed a new deal for next season which I’m a bit meh about. Will be fine as back up I guess but would be worried if McCall planned on having him as a regular starter. KEEP

Declan McDaid- Like the vast majority of wingers as this level Declan is very incostinent but I like him. I think he’s worth another year. KEEP

Alan Forrest- Started the season very well but has been injured for a large chunk of it. If he can find his form of the beginning of the season then he could be a very big player for us next year. Keep

Robbie Crawford- “The best kept secret in Scottish football” according to McCall- well he’s had a more than a little underwhelming season. Maybe controversial but I’d let him go, hasn’t progressed at nearly the level he was expected. PUNT

Nicky Cadden- On loan from Livi, was a bit of a waster in his first couple of appearances but has improved dramatically in recent weeks. Can beat a man and put a decent ball in. Something I love to see a winger doing. Not sure what his contract situation is at Livingston but wouldn’t be against having him next season. Keep

Calvin Miller- On loan from Celtic, again not sure on his contract situation but wouldn’t be averse to having him back next year. Keep

Craig McGuffie- signed a new deal before getting loaned out to RR. Think next season will be a big one in terms of his development, he needs to make a serious push to be a first team regular. He’s highly rated at the club but I’ve never been overly convinced. Keep

Andy Murdoch- Can’t believe I almost forgot about him. Has signed a new deal which is a massive coup for the club. Can’t believe Morton got rid of him. Love him more than life itself, give him a five year deal, Freedom of Ayr etc. Keep

Strikers: 

Lawrence Shankland- Not a hole in hell were keeping him, probably already signed a PCA somewhere (Swansea heavily rumoured). Has been a shadow of his former self since returning from injury, need him back on form for playoffs. Punt

Craig Moore- Maybe an unpopular opinion amongst Ayr fans but I’d keep him, seems to get a hard time from some as he’s not Lawrence Shankland but like him, he’s absoulotely fine as a third choice striker. Keep

Michael Moffat- Last but certainly not least, Moff. The man that arguably makes us tick. He is a must keep for me but I think he’s probably a bit pissed out at constantly getting subbed no matter how he’s playing. His bird had a bit of an outburst on Friday night so frustrations are obviously high. Please just stay Moff. Keep

Havent included the youngsters as not seen enough of them to judge. A few are pretty highly rated and will be interesting to see how many can push for squad places next year.

Over to you. 

I’d probably agree with all of that. I like Robbie Crawford but he’s hot and cold, not helped with McCall’s tendency to play him Out wide and with Doc and Murdoch already signed for next year and I’d imagine Kerr will stay on if we offer a deal we’re pretty covered in the middle.

I’d prob let Moore move on, I don’t think he’s been the same player since his head injury, he’s always been injury prone or prone to losing his head and with a smaller squad we can’t afford any passengers.

Punt: Kelly, McManus.

Keep: Everyone else could do a job for a bottom six team if they stay fit as I see Cowie as a back up/coach next year.

Agree with the majority of what FW is saying here. Shankland, Smith and Rose are all away so I'm not gonna bother with them although I'd keep them if I had the chance.

Goalies

Ross Doohan KEEP - On loan from Celtic but I'd love to get him back for another season if Celtic were willing to let us have him. 

Ellis Hare-Reid KEEP - I have no idea what he's like other than he's supposedly pretty highly rated from his time in Spain and with the NZ youth setup. He'll do as a backup.

Defenders 

Aaron Muirhead KEEP - He's done well in the limited number of appearances I've seen him make. He's already signed up for next season and he'll likely play a bigger part then.

Stevie Bell KEEP - I think theres another season in him. He's still part time so he'll maybe leave but I've been impressed with him in the most part. If he stays he's a natural leader and he'll be useful alongside any youngster that plays.

Daniel Harvie KEEP - Signed up for next season and he's found a bit of form in recent weeks so I'm more than happy for him to keep his place in the starting XI.

Chris Higgins PUNT - Unfortunately he'll be mostly remembered for his missed header vs Talbot. If he retires I'd keep him on as a coach but if not he'll find a League 1/2 team no bother.

David Ferguson KEEP - Wasn't overly impressed with him in the Betfred Cup but he's since went out on loan to Dumbarton and has performed reasonably well. I've a feeling he'll be Smiths successor next season at right back so I'll be interested to see how he does.

Jamie Adams PUNT - A loyal servant for Ayr and has earned his cult hero status at the club but he's not up to it to play regularly at this level. A move to Ireland was on the cards in the summer so he'll likely go there.

Andy Geggan KEEP - He loves the Super and I love him. I had the audacity to question him in the summer but whenever he's played he's done well. Due to his versatility he'll be a good squad member next season.

Midfielders 

Mark Kerr KEEP - Like Bell he's getting on a bit but I think he's got another year in him. Will be a good backup next season. 

Ross Docherty KEEP - Extremely unlucky with injuries in his time at Ayr but when he's fit he's a more than useful player. 

Andy Murdoch KEEP - Arguably our most consistent player this season and we've managed to secure him for another year. First name on the team sheet next season.

Nicky Cadden KEEP - On loan from Livi but I'd be interested getting him either on loan or permanently next season.

Craig McGuffie KEEP - If he's half as good as McCall thinks he is he'll have a good career but he needs to do a lot more next season. He's not overly impressed Raith fans this season whilst on loan but they're a moody bunch at the minute so I've no idea how he's really done. 

Robbie Crawford UNDECIDED - This is purely dependant on where he plays. If he plays as a central midfielder then he can be one of the best players in this league but if he's shunted out on the left then he'll start the season well but tail off around September/October time. He's been at the club for years so he'll probably want a change. 

Declan McDaid UNDECIDED - He's done exceptionally well this season - in televised games. His short sleeve with gloves combo will annoy fans as they're not used to the sheer baller nature of him. In all seriousness he's obviously got talent but he needs to do it more often. If he can up his game I'm more than happy for him to stay but if not he's more than replaceable. 

Forwards 

Michael Moffat KEEP - Not much to be said about this man. He's pretty much earned legendary status at the club and nothing would please me more if he saw out his career with us. 

Craig Moore UNDECIDED - Scored goals for fun in the seaside leagues last season but he's struggled this season. Apart from swording Morton and scoring against Dundee United he's done very little. I have a feeling he may leave to get more regular game time but I'd be happy to keep him as a backup. 

Alan Forrest KEEP - He splits opinion amongst the Ayr fans. I like him but most see him as overrated. This season was meant to be huge for him and in the first few months he was really improving but the he got injured and he's only played a few games since then. I'd be disappointed if he left though.

Calvin Miller PUNT - Decent played on loan from Celtic but I've no idea what his best position is and he's not what we'll need next season. 

Hopefully we'll hold onto youngsters like Faulds, Murphy, McCowan, Hilton, Ecrepont and McGinty and they play a bigger part next season. 

20 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Punt everyone except Joe Thomson, Tom Beadling, Jackson Longridge and Ryan Scully.

Get this season so far in to the sea. 

This is the correct answer.

There's maybe arguments to be made about a couple of others, but the vast majority need to leave. Sadly that won't happen due to contracts, but I'd be delighted if we could offload them.

From an Ayr perspective I'd punt Adams and Higgins but would consider holding on to everyone else that we can.

Bell has been one of our best and most consistent performers as far as I'm concerned and has at least 1 season at this level ahead of him.

Crawford is actually very good at what he does (retains possession and starts off moves) and I can see why McCall thinks so highly of him. His passing ability and accuracy is often missed by many supporters who seem to be looking for a Stevie Evans / Duncan George sort of performance from him which just isn't going to happen. The one major criticism is that he can be frustrating as we all know he's capable of so much more with the raw talent that he has.

Declan McDaid is the only player I have as the "jury still out", another very frustrating individual as unplayable on a "going day" but these are sadly few and far between.

Craig Moore I'd keep, as he's been unlucky with injuries and form of Shankland but I believe he can still do a job at this level, at least as backup.

Ross Doohan is potentially our biggest target to retain on loan and after that I'd look to retain Moffat, Geggan & possibly Kerr with Cadden being brought in if wages aren't too outrageous as I believe he has more to offer the team than McDaid.

Forgot about Forrest, he's a 100% KEEP.

Edited by WATTOO

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

This is the correct answer.

There's maybe arguments to be made about a couple of others, but the vast majority need to leave. Sadly that won't happen due to contracts, but I'd be delighted if we could offload them.

If Fanny Devine and Myles Offside can be moved on, that will genuinely be the happiest day of my life.

Fasan- Punt
Burgoyne- Keep
Mitchell- Keep (Backup)
McGhee- Keep
Edge- Undecided
McKenna- Keep
Dixon- Keep
Robson- Keep (backup)
Brough- Punt
Paton- Punt
Osman- Keep
Petra- Keep
McShane-Keep
McLean- Undecided
Rudden- Keep
Jarvis- Punt
Lavery- Punt
Todorov- Undecided
Waddington- Keep
Keillor-Dunn- Keep
Kidd- Punt
O’Hara- Punt
McKee- Undecided (could look better in a good team)

Keep - Burgoyne (won't happen), McGhee, McKenna, Dixon, Osman, McShane, Rudden (won't happen), Keillor-Dunn

Punt - Fasan, Mitchell, Robson, Brough, Paton, McLean, Jarvis, Lavery, Waddington, Kidd, O'Hara, McKee

Undecided - Edge, Petravicius, Todorov