The Champions vs Roaring Raith

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Finishing second gets us the second leg at home. 

Given our away record, would much prefer to be playing at home in the second, especially if the tie is level or we are behind...

Does it really make any difference? We’ve been at home first and away first in other play-offs and it made no difference to the outcome. 

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Does it really make any difference? We’ve been at home first and away first in other play-offs and it made no difference to the outcome. 

Maybe we can shitfest a 1-0 defeat and keep ourselves in contention for the second. 

All our opponents need to do is shitfest us to a 0-0 at Starks and we've probably had it in the away leg. 

25 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Given our away record, would much prefer to be playing at home in the second, especially if the tie is level or we are behind...

In theory, that would be the preferred option. In reality, losing the away leg 0-2 at Alloa last season probably decimated the gate for the home leg. 

And while I'm on here, and can't be arsed opening another thread, congratulations to the Smokies. To win a league so convincingly and to have led from virtually the start, is a great achievement. 

Enjoy the championship. 

28 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Or do the job at home first and shitfest the away leg ourselves? (Granted we wouldn’t be able to do this...)

8 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

In theory, that would be the preferred option. In reality, losing the away leg 0-2 at Alloa last season probably decimated the gate for the home leg. 

And while I'm on here, and can't be arsed opening another thread, congratulations to the Smokies. To win a league so convincingly and to have led from virtually the start, is a great achievement. 

Enjoy the championship. 

Then all they need is an early away goal, like Alloa last year and it’s fucked for another year. I’d prefer the home leg first and I suspect we are shit enough to make that happen.

Edited by Scary Bear

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I don’t think it was particularly unreasonable to be confident with the appointment of Mcglynn. The main areas where the side had let themselves down in the past few seasons, were areas where Mcglynn was strong in his previous reign. Soft as shite mentality, poor defending, and not making full time edge count. 

It just hasn’t worked out. As for the reasons for that, who knows. Injuries have of course played a part, we cant afford having guys like Vaughan out long term, but its deeper than that. The loan players have let themselves down massively, and when you take Nisbet out the equation there is precious little quality there. Not recruiting a right back however, was an absolute disaster and a shining example of the “make do and mend” mentality that has fucked us. Losing Jason Thomson shouldn’t have been a disaster, but not bothering to replace him really was. Not as bad as our caretaker manager playing the leagues top scorer there for 2 games, granted.

I understand those who would like to see him gone, had this been Barry Smith I would be screaming for that. I personally think there is a chance he can fix us if he is given the summer to shake things up, but I’m basing that on loyalty rather than any hard evidence.

What is quite annoying however is the small band of fans without our support who are making out that Mcglynn was some kind of ridiculous appointment that had no basis, as if he was a disaster last time out. The popular lines seem to be “took us 3 years to get promoted” or “hates the youth players”. Given the mess he inherited, 3 seasons is quite impressive to be honest (2 and half actually). The club was certainly in a far better place when he left it compared to when he came in, and I doubt we would have seen the likes of Callachan, Vaughan et al who have or will go on to better things. The board appointed a manager who really wanted the job, and who had enjoyed a very good spell previously at the club. Not a ridiculous appointment by any means. It hasn’t worked this season, and may not work next, but I don’t think its fair to level criticism at the club for that. The likes of Danny Lennon (Who I would have preferred at the time) distanced themselves from the job, and we were really looking at an untried name like Robson or a “safe” appointment like Duffy. Hardly a pool of riches to choose from. Mcglynns name was as good as any with any kind of concrete links to the post, and its important to remember that Nacho Novo was in the stand at Brechin speaking to the chairman – announcing Mcglynn the week after was like announcing Guardiola.

Of course what very few people at RRFC had counted on was the fact that Arbroath have been brilliant over the season. As a club, it appears we thought a cobbled together and unbalanced full time squad would be good enough to finish top – and were proved badly, badly wrong by a very good Arbroath side with a very astute management team. Even if Mcglynn had got his shit together this season, we would still have struggled to win this league – Arbroath are a very good side and a better all round team than Ayr who were unremarkable anywhere other than in the final third. Absolute fair play and all the best to them next season.

As for Sunday, who cares. I would wrap Nisbet in cotton wool until the playoffs and give the likes of Bowie a try. Im usually against “throwing the young guys on”, but the bar has been set so incredibly low that they cant possibly do any worse.  

How do we know Danny Lennon distanced himself from the job?There was never a definitive short list of candidates

31 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I think even Nacho Novo - or any competent head coach - would have managed to win half his games in the seaside league tbh.

McGlynn has been an utter disaster for the Rovers and if he loses in the play-offs then a new man should definitely be recruited in the summer.

Quiet fatty. 

43 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

How do we know Danny Lennon distanced himself from the job?There was never a definitive short list of candidates

One of the radio stations reported that, saying he was happy at Clyde. 

Lennon was also quoted in the papers saying he was happy at Clyde but in the same breath said his ambition was to get back into full time football.

3 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Enjoy the championship. 

I'd successfully banished that from my memory. Thanks! 

But yeah...every chance it'll still go South. 

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

TBF hes hardly going to say hes unhappy 

As Raithie says he was quoted in numerous papers saying he had aspirations and ambitions to get back to  full time 

Anyway, neither here nor there as we got M c Glynn

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

Lennon was also quoted in the papers saying he was happy at Clyde but in the same breath said his ambition was to get back into full time football.

He maybe didn’t see Raith’s long term future as full time. 

7 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I think even Nacho Novo - or any competent head coach - would have managed to win half his games in the seaside league tbh.

McGlynn has been an utter disaster for the Rovers and if he loses in the play-offs then a new man should definitely be recruited in the summer.

Aye, he was a disaster when he sent your debt defaulters crashing out of the cup right enough. 

I would rather be at home first than try to chase a game in the second leg away from home.