The Champions vs Roaring Raith

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It would be funnier just bringing up the thread from October and pishing ourselves laughing at some of the stuff some Raith fans said

Super John McGlynn

Ahhh October, happier times. Hendry and Vaughan were fit and ready to tear the league apart. Gillespie was recovering from injury and would surely return soon and continue his excellent early season form. We also had surely the leagues outstanding left back in Callum Crane. Nathan Flanagan was tearing full backs to shreds and would be a key player for us if we could convince him to extend his contract beyond December. Add that to a returning manager who had taken us from 9th in League One to within 3 games of the Premiership as well as a Scottish Cup semi final in his previous spell.

What could possibly go wrong?...

Ahhh October, happier times. Hendry and Vaughan were fit and ready to tear the league apart. Gillespie was recovering from injury and would surely return soon and continue his excellent early season form. We also had surely the leagues outstanding left back in Callum Crane. Nathan Flanagan was tearing full backs to shreds and would be a key player for us if we could convince him to extend his contract beyond December. Add that to a returning manager who had taken us from 9th in League One to within 3 games of the Premiership as well as a Scottish Cup semi final in his previous spell.

Some of you guys said things couldn't possibly get any worse, I was quick to remind you that they could. But the John McGlynn love in seemed to cloud your judgements. [emoji1]

Will give Raith a chance to come roaring back, It’s not been fair on them like McGlynn says with injuries, been hard on them,  

Hopefully start with Hill in goal with a back 4 of McCord, Donnelly, Swankie and Spence, put Big Rab up front too, 

40 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Will give Raith a chance to come roaring back, It’s not been fair on them like McGlynn says with injuries, been hard on them,  

Hopefully start with Hill in goal with a back 4 of McCord, Donnelly, Swankie and Spence, put Big Rab up front too, 

We would still manage a way to lose. 

2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

I don’t think it was particularly unreasonable to be confident with the appointment of Mcglynn. The main areas where the side had let themselves down in the past few seasons, were areas where Mcglynn was strong in his previous reign. Soft as shite mentality, poor defending, and not making full time edge count. 

It just hasn’t worked out. As for the reasons for that, who knows. Injuries have of course played a part, we cant afford having guys like Vaughan out long term, but its deeper than that. The loan players have let themselves down massively, and when you take Nisbet out the equation there is precious little quality there. Not recruiting a right back however, was an absolute disaster and a shining example of the “make do and mend” mentality that has fucked us. Losing Jason Thomson shouldn’t have been a disaster, but not bothering to replace him really was. Not as bad as our caretaker manager playing the leagues top scorer there for 2 games, granted.

I understand those who would like to see him gone, had this been Barry Smith I would be screaming for that. I personally think there is a chance he can fix us if he is given the summer to shake things up, but I’m basing that on loyalty rather than any hard evidence.

What is quite annoying however is the small band of fans without our support who are making out that Mcglynn was some kind of ridiculous appointment that had no basis, as if he was a disaster last time out. The popular lines seem to be “took us 3 years to get promoted” or “hates the youth players”. Given the mess he inherited, 3 seasons is quite impressive to be honest (2 and half actually). The club was certainly in a far better place when he left it compared to when he came in, and I doubt we would have seen the likes of Callachan, Vaughan et al who have or will go on to better things. The board appointed a manager who really wanted the job, and who had enjoyed a very good spell previously at the club. Not a ridiculous appointment by any means. It hasn’t worked this season, and may not work next, but I don’t think its fair to level criticism at the club for that. The likes of Danny Lennon (Who I would have preferred at the time) distanced themselves from the job, and we were really looking at an untried name like Robson or a “safe” appointment like Duffy. Hardly a pool of riches to choose from. Mcglynns name was as good as any with any kind of concrete links to the post, and its important to remember that Nacho Novo was in the stand at Brechin speaking to the chairman – announcing Mcglynn the week after was like announcing Guardiola.

Of course what very few people at RRFC had counted on was the fact that Arbroath have been brilliant over the season. As a club, it appears we thought a cobbled together and unbalanced full time squad would be good enough to finish top – and were proved badly, badly wrong by a very good Arbroath side with a very astute management team. Even if Mcglynn had got his shit together this season, we would still have struggled to win this league – Arbroath are a very good side and a better all round team than Ayr who were unremarkable anywhere other than in the final third. Absolute fair play and all the best to them next season.

As for Sunday, who cares. I would wrap Nisbet in cotton wool until the playoffs and give the likes of Bowie a try. Im usually against “throwing the young guys on”, but the bar has been set so incredibly low that they cant possibly do any worse.  

3 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Knowing our luck someone will slip when getting into position for the guard of honour and be out injured for the foreseeable.

Or in Benedictus’s case try and half McKenna and get injures himself deservedly In the process

Arbroath fans desperately trying to bam us up is going about as well as our title “challenge”.

As for the game, you’d need to be daft as a brush to go as a Rovers fan. Result irrelevant, neither team will be arsed, still fancy us to lose.

31 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I don’t think it was particularly unreasonable to be confident with the appointment of Mcglynn. The main areas where the side had let themselves down in the past few seasons, were areas where Mcglynn was strong in his previous reign. Soft as shite mentality, poor defending, and not making full time edge count. 

It just hasn’t worked out. As for the reasons for that, who knows. Injuries have of course played a part, we cant afford having guys like Vaughan out long term, but its deeper than that. The loan players have let themselves down massively, and when you take Nisbet out the equation there is precious little quality there. Not recruiting a right back however, was an absolute disaster and a shining example of the “make do and mend” mentality that has fucked us. Losing Jason Thomson shouldn’t have been a disaster, but not bothering to replace him really was. Not as bad as our caretaker manager playing the leagues top scorer there for 2 games, granted.

I understand those who would like to see him gone, had this been Barry Smith I would be screaming for that. I personally think there is a chance he can fix us if he is given the summer to shake things up, but I’m basing that on loyalty rather than any hard evidence.

What is quite annoying however is the small band of fans without our support who are making out that Mcglynn was some kind of ridiculous appointment that had no basis, as if he was a disaster last time out. The popular lines seem to be “took us 3 years to get promoted” or “hates the youth players”. Given the mess he inherited, 3 seasons is quite impressive to be honest (2 and half actually). The club was certainly in a far better place when he left it compared to when he came in, and I doubt we would have seen the likes of Callachan, Vaughan et al who have or will go on to better things. The board appointed a manager who really wanted the job, and who had enjoyed a very good spell previously at the club. Not a ridiculous appointment by any means. It hasn’t worked this season, and may not work next, but I don’t think its fair to level criticism at the club for that. The likes of Danny Lennon (Who I would have preferred at the time) distanced themselves from the job, and we were really looking at an untried name like Robson or a “safe” appointment like Duffy. Hardly a pool of riches to choose from. Mcglynns name was as good as any with any kind of concrete links to the post, and its important to remember that Nacho Novo was in the stand at Brechin speaking to the chairman – announcing Mcglynn the week after was like announcing Guardiola.

Of course what very few people at RRFC had counted on was the fact that Arbroath have been brilliant over the season. As a club, it appears we thought a cobbled together and unbalanced full time squad would be good enough to finish top – and were proved badly, badly wrong by a very good Arbroath side with a very astute management team. Even if Mcglynn had got his shit together this season, we would still have struggled to win this league – Arbroath are a very good side and a better all round team than Ayr who were unremarkable anywhere other than in the final third. Absolute fair play and all the best to them next season.

As for Sunday, who cares. I would wrap Nisbet in cotton wool until the playoffs and give the likes of Bowie a try. Im usually against “throwing the young guys on”, but the bar has been set so incredibly low that they cant possibly do any worse.  

Good post. Whilst my post was tongue in cheek it was all true at the time and we had every reason to be optimistic. Who knows how things would have turned out if Vaughan and Hendry had stayed fit? They would be, arguably, the two best players in the league, regardless of budget nobody at this level can lose that level of quality and expect to be unaffected.

However, our defence has been the main issue and although they 2 would balance the side better they wouldn’t improve our defence. That is where Arbroath have won the league, they have a match winner in Bobby Linn and some decent attackers but their defence is rock solid.

That means they can be excellent on their day but if their forward players are off it they can eek out a 1-0 or a 2-1. We simply haven’t had that all season. We have to play well to win but no team can be at their best every week. Aside from the 4-3 Airdrie game I can’t think of a game we’ve won that we didn’t deserve to. I’d imagine Arbroath may have a few. I mean that as compliment, it’s generally the sign of champions to grind out results when not at your best. We don’t have that quality.

Like you say it wasn’t unreasonable to think that McGlynn could bring his qualities from his previous spell and organise us better defensively and fight for everything but it just hasn’t happened. I get the argument that he has signed his own players but picking up players in October and January is different to putting your own side together in the summer when there are far more options.

If McGlynn wasn’t held in such high regard from his previous spell his record would be enough for me to want rid right now. However, he is held in high regard for good reason and there’s always that hope with his own team he can reproduce something similar. I believe he deserves that chance.

In saying that he was always a better Championship manager than League One manager for us. I’m probably JM’s biggest fan and I am desperate for him to be a success but after Saturday for the first time I found myself thinking I don’t want him sacked but if he resigned at the end of the season, I wouldn’t be too disappointed.

Arbroath fans desperately trying to bam us up is going about as well as our title “challenge”.

As for the game, you’d need to be daft as a brush to go as a Rovers fan. Result irrelevant, neither team will be arsed, still fancy us to lose.

Are we “obsessed” yet?

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Perfectly put. Especially the part about the small band of fans who couldn’t understand his appointment. Or couldn’t understand our excitement when he was announced. As you say Novo sniffing about and having folk like Locke in charge we needed someone who knew the club inside out. Hasn’t worked out. That’s football. Fully behind McGlynn staying next season. All about performances now leading into the play offs. Won’t matter if we finish 2nd or 3rd from a football perspective. But financially would be handy to finish 2nd.