SWPL cup final

pleslie99

Yet again the Big 2 qualify for the final with very comfortable semi final victories. When will their dominance be put to the test? Celtic going full time should make a difference but how long will it take? Rangers have been making noises but still seem miles behind. Gartcairn coming on the scene with their paying players may shoot up the leagues and make things interesting if all goes to plan for them but realistically the only team that can beat Hibs and City is each other.

Yet again the Big 2 qualify for the final with very comfortable semi final victories. When will their dominance be put to the test? Celtic going full time should make a difference but how long will it take? Rangers have been making noises but still seem miles behind. Gartcairn coming on the scene with their paying players may shoot up the leagues and make things interesting if all goes to plan for them but realistically the only team that can beat Hibs and City is each other.

Sadly, the duopoly is still untouchable. At least there's one more horse than in the men's competitions. Hibs have owned the cups lately so Glasgow will surely be well up for this one.

"Yet again the big 2 qualify for the final."    Glasgow City didn't reach a cup final in 2018.... ;-)
Indeed but who put them out of both cups in 2018? What was the score in the league cup final 2018 again? Against the supposed "best of the rest"?
Here's another one seeing as you wish to bring up history. Tell me the last time hibs/city lost to anyone in the Scottish cup other than themselves?.......I'll wait.
As I said the only teams capable of beating them is each other.

20 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Indeed but who put them out of both cups in 2018? What was the score in the league cup final 2018 again? Against the supposed "best of the rest"?
Here's another one seeing as you wish to bring up history. Tell me the last time hibs/city lost to anyone in the Scottish cup other than themselves?.......I'll wait.
As I said the only teams capable of beating them is each other.

Tongue was firmly in cheek!  I knew what you meant! ;-) 

A long time ago since that Celtic 2010 SWPL Cup win.

Edited by BroadcastCallum

• 2 weeks later...

Hibs have been seriously weakened by the players they have lost over the last 12 months and laboured a bit in some league games.  Glasgow City are thumping everyone at the moment (with the exception of Hibs) and already looking a stick on for the league again. I suspect City may have too much for Hibs in this final. 

It’s a tricky one. Would like to see more competition but realistically that’s going to come from the Old Firm and I’d hate to see them dominating the women’s game as well. 

Edited by roverthemoon

On 18/04/2019 at 22:21, GordonS said:

City came back to win 2-1, after Celtic went down to 10. Wish I'd gone to that, I've never seen Lennoxtown either.

I thought Celtic usually use East Kilbride's K Park these days. 

Lennoxtown isn't the easiest place to find if you don't know how to get there...! 

On 29/04/2019 at 17:03, roverthemoon said:

Hibs have been seriously weakened by the players they have lost over the last 12 months and laboured a bit in some league games.  Glasgow City are thumping everyone at the moment (with the exception of Hibs) and already looking a stick on for the league again. I suspect City may have too much for Hibs in this final. 

It’s a tricky one. Would like to see more competition but realistically that’s going to come from the Old Firm and I’d hate to see them dominating the women’s game as well. 

First time Hibs have had big stars leaving. City have had it for a decade or so.   City almost signed players by only losing Abbi Grant and keeping everyone (+ Clare Shine).  Now other teams outwith Scotland have seen Hibs talent and there turn.  

It has to be said - City are playing probably their best football under Scott Booth just now.

On 29/04/2019 at 23:39, tamthebam said:

I thought Celtic usually use East Kilbride's K Park these days. 

Lennoxtown isn't the easiest place to find if you don't know how to get there...! 

K -Park was unavailable. Each team has a nominated "B" ground for any problems with their "home" ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Rotten game, could still be playing now and no one would have scored. Hibs looked like they wanted it more, and were clinical in the shoot out. Hope anyone that watched it didn't get put off women's football, as it really wasn't a good advert for the game at all. About the only positive was getting handed two comp tickets on the way in

Yeah, not a great game. These two are playing each other 5 times a season just now and the games decide the destination of all three trophies. I think they both have a bit too much fear and respect for each other, and they also cancel each other out a bit. It's been years since I've seen a good match between them.

On 16/05/2019 at 01:36, GordonS said:

Yeah, not a great game. These two are playing each other 5 times a season just now and the games decide the destination of all three trophies. I think they both have a bit too much fear and respect for each other, and they also cancel each other out a bit. It's been years since I've seen a good match between them.

I think majority of the league games are fairly good.  Just a totally different game between the two in Cups.