The Battle for Europe (or Kilmarnock v Aberdeen)

14 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Just watched the highlights again. The 'Killie family' should be more upset with their players acting like out of control amateur footballers than they should be about 3 correct red card decisions. 

Good to see Clarke acting like a petulant, greeting arsehole once again. He should look back at the highlights and then apologise to the referee for the behaviour of his players, and to Graham Shinnie for some no-mark thug ending his season while Clarke stood applauding at the sideline. 

Looking forward to next season when Killie get back to their normal battle for 8th or 9th place. 

Should have been Killie fans, not Killie family. Auto correct. I'm a w****r but I'm nae that bad!

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Absolute heads gone from Clarke.

Having watched the highlights he’s got a few grumbles to be fair. But there’s no excuse for such a public assassination of a ref I’m afraid. You just can’t do that.

I think cosgrove is fortunate not to be sent off tbh, but his first yellow is a nothing so justice done there for me.

I don’t really want to see red cards for what Broadfoot did, I don’t think there’s any intent there he’s just clumsy. Findlay is probably fair enough as a second yellow. McKenzie it’s quite difficult to judge what actually happened.

They’re all relatively marginal and they’ve all come down in our favour so we are fortunate there. Great result but let’s be honest not a classic.

Doesn't matter if it's clumsy or he has a right to go for the ball. He's late and catches the keeper in the face leading with the wrong leg.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Doesn't matter if it's clumsy or he has a right to go for the ball. He's late and catches the keeper in the face leading with the wrong leg.

I just watched it on Sportscene and it was brutal - could have really injured Lewis.

I am pretty sure that Broadfoot didnt mean it, but that doesnt mean its not a straight red.

Wasn’t really opining on whether or not it was a straight red. It probably is by the letter of the law.

But if I was a neutral I’d rather not see someone walk for that. Bit late and looks worse than it really is.

9 minutes ago, Green Day said:

I just watched it on Sportscene and it was brutal - could have really injured Lewis.

I am pretty sure that Broadfoot didnt mean it, but that doesnt mean its not a straight red.

What did Stewart and Thompson think about the red cards?

Just watched the bbc website highlights and the last red looked soft. Two nothing kicks at Ball.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Wasn’t really opining on whether or not it was a straight red. It probably is by the letter of the law.

But if I was a neutral I’d rather not see someone walk for that. Bit late and looks worse than it really is.

That one looked worse than it likely was but the next one might not.

Steve Clarke, Friday 19th October 2018:

I trust all the referees to officiate the games as and when they see the incidents on the pitch.

To think anything other than that would be to cast aspersions on referees that are not fair. All the referees I've come across in football are very honest.

Steve Clarke, Saturday 20th April 2019:

Since I've been here, he's always seemed to struggle with Kilmarnock games.

Maybe, or definitely, that's because his father was a player here for so many years. Whether he feels the pressure of that, it seems to affect his performance.

I have mentioned privately that maybe Steven shouldn't referee Kilmarnock games just to take that burden, that extra pressure, off him. Now I'm saying it publicly.

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Clarke's mask is slipping, and I don't like what I'm seeing! 

39 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

What don't you like?

DrewDon playing a blinder here.

Going back to the title of the thread, interesting to think where this leaves both clubs.

The two external variables that stop both qualifying are the result of the cup final and the form of Heckingbottom’s Hibs.

I reckon it’s a one in five shot that Hearts win the cup - would have been 1 in 8 if Rodgers still around.

Hibs got the Celtic fixture out of the way yesterday and took a point.

Dons need to go to Easter Road for a third league fixture (fourth visit of the season) on the last day and it would be nice if it was done by then.

I reckon as long as win the Hearts home game on the Friday before, that will be the case.

For Kilmarnock, still some work to do as well, but they should just have enough.

Of course a “big result” against either gruesome twosome would help immensely.

There's an awful lot of "just watched the highlights" on here.

Those who actually watched the game realise just how badly it was managed by McLean. There are some dubious calls in the big decisions, but it is the sum of all the decisions which makes it farcical.

If McLean is a ref at an away game, I don't go. Haven't for ages. He is a shocking referee, and that's for both sides. St Johnstone and Dundee fans will attest to that.

Even silly things like 9 man Killie having a half chance of a rare counter attack down the right and him not playing advantage but instead pulling it back for a really soft foul on one of our defenders. When these little decisions add up people get pissed off and that passes to the players. Aberdeen players were also frustrated by him in the early part of the game but McInnes obviously had a word in their ear at half-time and they were less abrasive in the second half (which is easier to do when you already have a man advantage).

There is absolutely no suggestion of a conspiracy or bias from McLean, he has just lost the plot a bit as a referee in recent years. I didn't agree with Clarke's suggestion about him not refereeing our games - he has too many family connections to too many clubs for that to be realistic - but I do think he feels the pressure a bit refereeing us and seems to be more likely to turn in a wild performance like Saturday (or against Dundee at Dens).