The Battle for Europe (or Kilmarnock v Aberdeen)

Guest Moomintroll
Did someone earlier really ask if Aberdeen fans were happy with McInnes employing a tactical style that wins games?
I would have been furious if we had employed those kind of tactics & got 3 points yesterday...
No hang on, not furious, delighted, thats the word.

1 hour ago, olliethedug said:
Killie were poor yesterday. Even before the first red. I’ve not seen Broadfoots in tv so can’t really comment on that. Findlay and McKenzie were both red cards. Although I thought Ball? Head butted McKenzie first so should probably have gone too. Cosgrove should’ve been off as well. The referees performance doesn’t take away from the fact we were poor and struggling against a big physical Aberdeen team. They have the better of us and that’s not the refs fault.

I thought McInnes had his tactics spot on at 11 v 11 - they were funnelling us wide because they knew we had nothing to hit in the middle, and they were pressing our defence to stop us playing it out. However, they didn't remotely look like scoring either - the game looked destined for a 0-0.

Clarke has been very good at making tactical tweaks to overcome these sorts of things, but he was denied that opportunity because of the red card.

At 11 v 10 (and even 11 v 9) I thought we did fine, and weren't particularly troubled by Aberdeen from open play. If they were going to score it was always going to be a set piece.

Edited by craigkillie

I've no problems with  McInnes's tactics or Cosgrove's headless chicken act  (whether or nor he was told to act like that).

It was done to get right under the home sides skin and unsettle them.

This goes on regularly in football and is just part of what makes it the game it is and we have used similar tactics in the past.

What really rips my knitting, however, is how the game was managed.

A good, strong referee would have noticed early on what was going on and cautioned Cosgrove.

Thereafter, if things didn't settle, a quiet word with his captain to advise that the chicken should be substituted before he was red carded.

That would normally have been enough for things to calm down and for a proper game of football to break out.

Unfortunately for us, we had to witness one of the weakest, incompetent refereeing performances I have ever seen.

I haven't seen TV highlights yet so only saw a melee in their goalmouth when Broadfoot was red carded, so cant comment. but by then the game was already boiling over.

Findlay's second yellow was well justified, but his first was very soft and his opponent, said chicken, should also have been cautioned and sent off.

McKenzie reacted angrily to being 'got at' by his opponent and whichever card he was shown should have been shown to his opponent as well.

I accept this may sound like sour grapes, but Aberdeen reserves got the result they came for and fair play to them.

My gripe is with the incompetent cnut who spoiled what could have been a good game of football.

Rant over.

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

I've no problems with  McInnes's tactics or Cosgrove's headless chicken act  (whether or nor he was told to act like that).

It was done to get right under the home sides skin and unsettle them.

This goes on regularly in football and is just part of what makes it the game it is and we have used similar tactics in the past.

What really rips my knitting, however, is how the game was managed.

A good, strong referee would have noticed early on what was going on and cautioned Cosgrove.

Thereafter, if things didn't settle, a quiet word with his captain to advise that the chicken should be substituted before he was red carded.

That would normally have been enough for things to calm down and for a proper game of football to break out.

Unfortunately for us, we had to witness one of the weakest, incompetent refereeing performances I have ever seen.

I haven't seen TV highlights yet so only saw a melee in their goalmouth when Broadfoot was red carded, so cant comment. but by then the game was already boiling over.

Findlay's second yellow was well justified, but his first was very soft and his opponent, said chicken, should also have been cautioned and sent off.

McKenzie reacted angrily to being 'got at' by his opponent and whichever card he was shown should have been shown to his opponent as well.

I accept this may sound like sour grapes, but Aberdeen reserves got the result they came for and fair play to them.

My gripe is with the incompetent cnut who spoiled what could have been a good game of football.

Rant over.

Thank you.

A very fair post.

I don't think anyone grudges any Killie family being upset with the red cards, regardless of merit. It's when they were posting about playing styles etc that they were ridiculed.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

A very fair post.

I don't think anyone grudges any Killie family being upset with the red cards, regardless of merit. It's when they were posting about playing styles etc that they were ridiculed.

Just watched the highlights again. The 'Killie family' should be more upset with their players acting like out of control amateur footballers than they should be about 3 correct red card decisions. 

Good to see Clarke acting like a petulant, greeting arsehole once again. He should look back at the highlights and then apologise to the referee for the behaviour of his players, and to Graham Shinnie for some no-mark thug ending his season while Clarke stood applauding at the sideline. 

Looking forward to next season when Killie get back to their normal battle for 8th or 9th place. 

Before Steve Clarke arrived and made Killie the third fourth fifth sixth a force in Scottish football again, their fans - at least the majority who posted on P&B-  were fairly sensible and reasonable.

However, since then they have turned into an entitled, self righteous, opinionated bunch, very reminiscient of the fans of the gruesome twosome.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

However, since then they have turned into an entitled, self righteous, opinionated bunch, very reminiscient of the fans of the gruesome twosome.

Not sure they've started supporting Aberdeen mate.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

Not sure they've started supporting Aberdeen mate.

That doesn't make sense. 

36 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Just watched the highlights again. The 'Killie family' should be more upset with their players acting like out of control amateur footballers than they should be about 3 correct red card decisions. 

Good to see Clarke acting like a petulant, greeting arsehole once again. He should look back at the highlights and then apologise to the referee for the behaviour of his players, and to Graham Shinnie for some no-mark thug ending his season while Clarke stood applauding at the sideline. 

Looking forward to next season when Killie get back to their normal battle for 8th or 9th place. 

For someone who's posted a lot about Killie fans losing their head, you've certainly lost yours a fair bit in this thread.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 minutes ago, BoydiesBelly said:

For someone who's posted a lot about Killie fans losing their head, you've certainly lost yours a fair bit in this thread.

Not in the slightest. and I've no idea how you work that one out. 

I had to watch the highlights back to see how much laughable pish Killie fans have been talking. I realise that you're embarrassed about the behaviour of your team and your fellow fans, but no need to take it out on me mate. 

36 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Not my fault 

Typical Celtic fan

25 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

At least the Dons fans still have the IQ of  half a sheep.

Still higher than yours, then.