• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Sign in to follow this  
philpy

Local shops

I tend to go to the supermercados (Mexican grocery stores) for produce, because it's usually better than the stuff in the mainstream supermarkets, and also can get stuff like frozen croquetas, Colombiana etc. Go to independent beer stores (Bottles & Cans, Bitter Pops, Capone's) for beer because they've got a ton of shit in from local brewers who don't produce in enough scale to even think about supermarket listings.  Sometimes go to a local chain called Mariano's - when we moved up here, the guy who put us up took us there, basically to show off - most of them have a bar, and you can get a pint and take it round with you doing your shopping and give em the glass back at the end - and the novelty of that hasn't quite worn off yet. 

you can get a pint and take it round with you doing your shopping and give em the glass back at the end - and the novelty of that hasn't quite worn off yet. 

Genius. Absolute genius.

When I first moved to Phoenix, Arizona there was a wee ironmonger type shop just round the corner from where I lived. As someone who firmly believes in supporting independent retailers, I resolved to go there for all my future ironmongery needs. Before long I had occasion to need a doomaflodgy (or maybe it was ane a them thingmies; I forget) so off I went. The first thing you saw on approaching the door was a big handwritten sign slagging off the big box hardware stores and the people who shopped there. Okeydokey then, the owner is obviously passionate about his business so in I went. Unfortunately it turned out the place was run by an wee rat of a man. Rude from the off, too lazy to get off his arse and help me find what I was looking for and in summary, couldn't have been less helpful if he tried. I drove over to the big box, found what I needed and never went back to the first place. He went out of business about 6 months later but not before posting up another handwritten rant about people who didn't value the "personal service that only small shops like his could provide."

In contrast, in the little town where I live in the wilds of Colorado, there's a family run hardware store who are thriving because they go out of their way to provide good service. Not only do they stock pretty much everything, if you want to buy a washer, you can buy a washer - you don't need a pack of 12. I was in there last week looking for a screw to replace one which had dropped out of the trim inside my car door. I was able to simply pick up one screw, walk outside to the car, determine it wasn't the right size, and go back in for the right one. Total cost - about 5p.

Use the local shops a lot. In most of the butchers in Dundee and the deli in the city centre is really good for hams and homemade fish cakes etc.

2 hours ago, Ylf said:

Use the local shops a lot. In most of the butchers in Dundee and the deli in the city centre is really good for hams and homemade fish cakes etc.

Gazelley's? 

17 hours ago, philpy said:

Instead of buying things like 3 packs of meat from Asda for a Tenner, we've been using butchers shops in the area instead, and starting from Tuesday we are getting milk delivered twice a week. It just got me thinking, do any other people on here still support local businesses as much as they can, or do you take the cheaper and convenient supermarket option??

Always use the butcher over supermarket for meat where possible, there is a clear difference in quality. The problem, as others have mentioned, is convenience. Butchers only being open at the same time as most folk work makes it difficult to get stuff as often as you'd like. 

Couldn't tell you where my nearest butchers is, or the nearest ironmongers,...
You mean you don't have weekly ironmongery needs?

2 hours ago, Ylf said:

That’s it forgot the name cheers emoji106.png

Try the chilli sauce! 

I cycled to Newport last week and went in the local butchers. Have some really good stuff. IMG_1102.jpgIMG_1100.jpg

I cycled to Newport last week and went in the local butchers. Have some really good stuff. IMG_1102.thumb.jpg.726b39820560256fcd2134430e701b88.jpgIMG_1100.thumb.jpg.87e1eab5833b494b77a0562c58dc01a0.jpg
Is there any "special" stuff there??
78291_67387.jpg

They are actually shutting my local centre next year in Blackburn.  It’s been on its arse for ages and unless you need a hit of methadone before munching a bacon roll before deciding which bookie to throw your cash in, there’s very little need to use it as the only shop is the local cooperative which charges Waitrose prices as it’s the only real option.

I buy my beer (craft w****r) in Edinburgh.  I used to use Cornelius on Easter road.  Be a routine after a match, go in there and get some decent ales.  But the store had a staff member that would sigh and huff when you asked him to ring stuff up as it disturbed his routine of sitting on his arse.  I now use top cellar down the road from it.  

I’m lucky enough to live in a part of Edinburgh that has maintained all the smaller shops, great butchers, several cheese mongers, etc. Plenty of independent retailers. The downside is, such is the level for pretentiousness from people in the general area, is the costs are higher than they should be. Don’t get me wrong, the quality of the produce is superb, but for half the price, the supermarkets aren’t half the quality. Always a delight to walk past the butchers and see a whole pig or reel of pheasants hanging up however.

Milk and eggs delivered each week from a local farm.

All other shopping done at Aldi as local butcher shut down a few months ago ( was ace)

Will say there have been a few local shops/takeaways that’s still don’t take card need shutting down.

I’m lucky enough to live in a part of Edinburgh that has maintained all the smaller shops, great butchers, several cheese mongers, etc. Plenty of independent retailers. The downside is, such is the level for pretentiousness from people in the general area, is the costs are higher than they should be. Don’t get me wrong, the quality of the produce is superb, but for half the price, the supermarkets aren’t half the quality. Always a delight to walk past the butchers and see a whole pig or reel of pheasants hanging up however.
This is surely Morningside or Stockbridge

8 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:
1 hour ago, Widge said:
I’m lucky enough to live in a part of Edinburgh that has maintained all the smaller shops, great butchers, several cheese mongers, etc. Plenty of independent retailers. The downside is, such is the level for pretentiousness from people in the general area, is the costs are higher than they should be. Don’t get me wrong, the quality of the produce is superb, but for half the price, the supermarkets aren’t half the quality. Always a delight to walk past the butchers and see a whole pig or reel of pheasants hanging up however. emoji23.png

This is surely Morningside or Stockbridge

Nah must be Drylaw.

They are actually shutting my local centre next year in Blackburn.  It’s been on its arse for ages and unless you need a hit of methadone before munching a bacon roll before deciding which bookie to throw your cash in, there’s very little need to use it as the only shop is the local cooperative which charges Waitrose prices as it’s the only real option.
I buy my beer (craft w****r) in Edinburgh.  I used to use Cornelius on Easter road.  Be a routine after a match, go in there and get some decent ales.  But the store had a staff member that would sigh and huff when you asked him to ring stuff up as it disturbed his routine of sitting on his arse.  I now use top cellar down the road from it.  
I've encountered the same issue with Cornelius. Guy isn't very helpful.

2 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Does Villeneuve on Broughton street not do beers too? Not too far from Easter Road.