Local shops

philpy

17 hours ago, philpy said:

Instead of buying things like 3 packs of meat from Asda for a Tenner, we've been using butchers shops in the area instead, and starting from Tuesday we are getting milk delivered twice a week. It just got me thinking, do any other people on here still support local businesses as much as they can, or do you take the cheaper and convenient supermarket option??

Always use the butcher over supermarket for meat where possible, there is a clear difference in quality. The problem, as others have mentioned, is convenience. Butchers only being open at the same time as most folk work makes it difficult to get stuff as often as you'd like. 

They are actually shutting my local centre next year in Blackburn.  It’s been on its arse for ages and unless you need a hit of methadone before munching a bacon roll before deciding which bookie to throw your cash in, there’s very little need to use it as the only shop is the local cooperative which charges Waitrose prices as it’s the only real option.

I buy my beer (craft w****r) in Edinburgh.  I used to use Cornelius on Easter road.  Be a routine after a match, go in there and get some decent ales.  But the store had a staff member that would sigh and huff when you asked him to ring stuff up as it disturbed his routine of sitting on his arse.  I now use top cellar down the road from it.  

I’m lucky enough to live in a part of Edinburgh that has maintained all the smaller shops, great butchers, several cheese mongers, etc. Plenty of independent retailers. The downside is, such is the level for pretentiousness from people in the general area, is the costs are higher than they should be. Don’t get me wrong, the quality of the produce is superb, but for half the price, the supermarkets aren’t half the quality. Always a delight to walk past the butchers and see a whole pig or reel of pheasants hanging up however. [emoji23]

Milk and eggs delivered each week from a local farm.

All other shopping done at Aldi as local butcher shut down a few months ago ( was ace)

Will say there have been a few local shops/takeaways that’s still don’t take card need shutting down.

I’m lucky enough to live in a part of Edinburgh that has maintained all the smaller shops, great butchers, several cheese mongers, etc. Plenty of independent retailers. The downside is, such is the level for pretentiousness from people in the general area, is the costs are higher than they should be. Don’t get me wrong, the quality of the produce is superb, but for half the price, the supermarkets aren’t half the quality. Always a delight to walk past the butchers and see a whole pig or reel of pheasants hanging up however. [emoji23]
This is surely Morningside or Stockbridge

They are actually shutting my local centre next year in Blackburn.  It’s been on its arse for ages and unless you need a hit of methadone before munching a bacon roll before deciding which bookie to throw your cash in, there’s very little need to use it as the only shop is the local cooperative which charges Waitrose prices as it’s the only real option.
I buy my beer (craft w****r) in Edinburgh.  I used to use Cornelius on Easter road.  Be a routine after a match, go in there and get some decent ales.  But the store had a staff member that would sigh and huff when you asked him to ring stuff up as it disturbed his routine of sitting on his arse.  I now use top cellar down the road from it.  
I've encountered the same issue with Cornelius. Guy isn't very helpful.

I've got Thai, Chinese and Indian grocery stores within walking distance of my flat as well as a decent eastern European one and a Spanish deli which sells stuff too. I use them all and try to get fish from Welch's down by my work. Decent green grocers are underrated and far too rare these days, don't have one anywhere close and the only ones I know of in Edinburgh are stupidly expensive.

Smiths on Glasgow Rd for meat and a blether with an old fashioned butcher and then next door to get my nasal hair waxed by the Turkish barbers.
Loss of wee shops as you describe are a shame but it’s the world we live in sadly. They just can’t compete.

Smiths venison burgers are absolutely exceptional. Also really rate their square sausage.

2 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Will say there have been a few local shops/takeaways that’s still don’t take card need shutting down.

In a world where free cashpoint machines exist, and shops choose to not divert profits to global conglomerates, I'm thinking you're an idiot.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In a world where free cashpoint machines exist, and shops choose to not divert profits to global conglomerates, I'm thinking you're an idiot.

Two of four cashpoints in my local town started charging 95 pence a transaction from last week. Will be interesting to see if the other two follow suit or if the two chargers get removed. That leaves 4 free ones elsewhere in the town by my reckoning.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Does Villeneuve on Broughton street not do beers too? Not too far from Easter Road.

In Broughton st I prefer Vino.  Bit pricey up there though.  A bottle of Augustiner  is 50p cheaper in top cellar.  I was in Vino today actually.  Decent selection of beers.  I’ve never been in Villeneuve, sounds like I’d be looked down upon for buying beer.