Partick Thistle vs Alloa Athletic - Part IV

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I'm not sure what Caldwell could have done more in the last few games. If results elsewhere go our way then we're 6th. 

We started with the wrong formation in both the Dunfermline and Alloa games. Playing so narrow (especially yesterday) were poor choices, and put us in a hole twice.

I agree with most the rest of what you said, though. He’s signed well and he adjusts the tactics correctly, which are both things that Archibald was stinking at, especially later on in his tenure.

I’m not so much looking forward to a full summer and next season with him in charge, as I do think there are some flaws in his management, but I am willing to give him a chance to recruit again and sort out some more of the dross/imbalance in the squad, and see where it goes from there.

Edited by Nightmare

Caldwell’s starting selection has been questionable at times. However, I’m interested to see him utilities his contacts and have a summer transfer window with us. The only dud i can think of is Mansell so it’s a decent track record - definitely jinxed it now :whistle

Caldwell’s starting selection has been questionable at times. However, I’m interested to see him utilities his contacts and have a summer transfer window with us. The only dud i can think of is Mansell so it’s a decent track record - definitely jinxed it now :whistle

Ally Roy is absolutely pish too, but Caldwell seems to have worked that out quickly enough to never actually play him.

Can't recall, had Cardle played a full 90 minutes since his hamstring injury? Potentially the reason he's not on from the start, but would agree 100% he should be starting. We're a far better team when we're going forward and attacking, we've got the players to do it and we look really difficult to play against in those circumstances. 

Regardless of the comments about Caldwell, I think down or not he'll be getting a chance next season. Happy enough with that, posted this elsewhere on P&B but since the January window we've averaged about 1.42 points a game, in this league, that's good enough for me to merit him some more time. I'd definitely be looking for a big season from him next season. 

Pleasantly surprised with McGinty yesterday, hope this continues. More or less think I love McDonald now, hoping he signs for another year, seems to be enjoying his football right now so it could happen.

15 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I am concerned that a few of the players are only loan players -Anderson and Saunders, I think. Will Skippy sign on for next season ? We also have Bell, Lennox, Keown coming back.

Pretty sure Keown and Lennox are out of contract but Ding Dong will be back. Saunders signed an 18 month deal in January.  Cant see Ando getting game time at Perth so he might be open to a move but the main one we want is Skippy signing for another deal. Saw Tam O’Ware at POTY last night. Looked fit and no sign of a limp or any injury. A fully fit O’Ware will be a big bonus next season. If we get Ando signed up we will have him as well as McGinty, O’Ware and Saunders so central defence is sorted.

Edited by Sting777

7 hours ago, velo army said:

I'm not sure what Caldwell could have done more in the last few games. If results elsewhere go our way then we're 6th. 

This league is such that, truly, everyone can beat everyone. I do think that we'll be safe, as it appears that Ayr are running out of steam (famous last words etc). Caldwell has made mistakes with team selection, but he has been quick to rectify them. He is a young manager still learning the ropes, and a certain amount of patience is required. As has been mentioned above he has a couple of key things in his favour. He got rid of a lot of shite very quickly. He replaced said shite very well. McDonald and Cardle have been excellent signings (Skippy has been utterly invaluable). Ando has been good for us too. There haven't been any (or many I can think of) who have been utter huddies. This was definitely not the case with Archie. 

His willingness to change to a more attacking shape when we need a goal has been exciting. He has changed the mentality in that we no longer seem to be hanging on at the end of games. In fact, we have scored a few late winners iirc. Archie couldn't solve this problem. Caldwell has.

So all in all I'm happy with what he has brought, and I look forward to a full season under him. I'm actually looking forward to the summer transfer window. Archie couldn't be trusted with a transfer window, as for every Connor Sammon there were umpteen clown-shoe no-marks from the English lower leagues who, at best, stunk out the first team and, at worst, stunk out the reserves. 

I'm fine with folk sniping at Caldwell, but there needs to be some context applied.

Not sure if Connor Sammon was that much of a success 

On 21/04/2019 at 08:31, VictorOnopko said:

Baffled as to why debates about the team selection or criticism of Caldwell's overall tactical approach (which do not equal "sniping") should be silenced "until the summer" just because we won yesterday.  We were losing at half time to part-timers and staring down the seaside barrel.  It's great to have turned that around on this occasion and got the points (after an extremely unlikely, form-defying game from McGinty and 45 from Harkins), but we're still 9th and looking at three vital games to avoid disaster.  Lots of folk are concerned about Caldwell's starting selections - this one certainly didn't work and could easily have cost us dear - and although I give him huge credit for a fantastic transfer window, we've failed several times to take good chances in winnable games to climb up the table. 

Should we still leave criticism to the summer if we fail to win away at Ayr, and are 9th with two games left?

As said sniping or criticism in context is perfectly understandable. It's more the yer da negativity that abounds elsewhere that grates at the moment.

Lose at Ayr and I will be criticising to f**k :lol:

16 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

He scored 10 goals last season in a dreadful team. Why aren't you sure if he was much of a success?

16 hours ago, third lanark said:

Point taken When you put it like that 

From memory he started the season poorly although he was getting shunted out wide left for a few games by Archie which didn't work, then had a very good purple patch with a run of goals as a forward (a lot of which were rendered pointless by a lot of collective bed-shitting such as Firhill against Dundee and Accies away which, tbf, he can't be singled out for) before reverting to type for the last 1/3rd of the season, summed up with that penalty miss in the playoff. Certainly remember a few calls on here to get him dropped around the start of the split because his form had declined so badly.

He was at least a mixed bag, unlike say Danny Devine or Adam Barton, who were just consistently awful. The latter was particularly frustrating given he could have contributed a lot more, he just stopped giving a shit.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 4/21/2019 at 13:34, velo army said:

This league is such that, truly, everyone can beat everyone. I do think that we'll be safe, as it appears that Ayr are running out of steam (famous last words etc). Caldwell has made mistakes with team selection, but he has been quick to rectify them. He is a young manager still learning the ropes, and a certain amount of patience is required. As has been mentioned above he has a couple of key things in his favour. He got rid of a lot of shite very quickly. He replaced said shite very well. McDonald and Cardle have been excellent signings (Skippy has been utterly invaluable). Ando has been good for us too. There haven't been any (or many I can think of) who have been utter huddies. This was definitely not the case with Archie. 

His willingness to change to a more attacking shape when we need a goal has been exciting. He has changed the mentality in that we no longer seem to be hanging on at the end of games. In fact, we have scored a few late winners iirc. Archie couldn't solve this problem. Caldwell has.

So all in all I'm happy with what he has brought, and I look forward to a full season under him. I'm actually looking forward to the summer transfer window. Archie couldn't be trusted with a transfer window, as for every Connor Sammon there were umpteen clown-shoe no-marks from the English lower leagues who, at best, stunk out the first team and, at worst, stunk out the reserves. 

I'm fine with folk sniping at Caldwell, but there needs to be some context applied.

Good post.  I said back at the turn of the year that he had some very important games coming up, and obviously the transfer window.  He then went on the best run of form we've had since we got into the top half (what seems like decades ago), got us forward in the cup, and had a very, very good transfer window.  It looked like he was well on his way to turning it around.

I'm not totally convinced, but it's looking far better than it seemed like it would.  Interesting to see what a full pre-season and summer window does for us.  He's earned another season anyway.

18 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

He scored 10 goals last season in a dreadful team. Why aren't you sure if he was much of a success?

That penalty in the playoff final doe'......ooft.

But aye, I'd say he was a success for us.  Certainly considering some of the dross we've had up front.