Partick Thistle vs Alloa Athletic - Part IV

Too many times this season have we seen Caldwell take half a match to see things are not working. 

Anybody worth there salt would have started with the correct team. 

Kudos to young hardnut (Fitzpatrick) and Jo Cardle for changing things. And to upside down heed Harkins for doing what he should have been tasked with from the start seeing as Bannigan was out. 

Well done to the 200 Alloa fans. 

2 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

But this ‘save the sniping for the end of the season’ patter is bollocks. Caldwell has taken us into a relegation dogfight - our plight is almost entirely his doing and his consistently poor team selections, formations and endless supply of bullshit can’t be blamed on anyone else. I’ll snipe at him if I wish, cheers. 

This is just the paradox in my mind for the season. In one mind I say with Archie would we be any better off, but also Caldwell has obviously improved he squad on his hapless bunch and we’re still where we are. There’s no comparisons as it’s all ifs or buts, and regardless of appointment ideals, Caldwell keeping us in this league is an achievement given how things have looked at various points in the season. However we also have the squad where many believe we should be nowhere near where we are. Just doesn’t make sense but nothing much has since the Motherwell game to stay up. 

Mcdonald and cardle will be the reason we stay up if it happens, a joint fate of Archie’s shite start and caldwells shite takeover will be the reason we go down if that happens. We stay up then definitely give him a summer I’d be happy, I’ve enjoyed his teams playing when he’s got it right, if we go down he has to take responsibility but I could also argue that this team is better and just started from a terrible place to build on. Just don’t know til it happens, Tuesday is huge. 

Edited by ptptptfc

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

If he keeps us up then I’d keep Caldwell and give him a crack at next season.

His signings especially McDonald and Cardle have been decent. Flush away Archie tolleys like Storey and Keown and see what he can do.

They way he got rid of the dross (and there was plenty) in January, gives him credit with me. He has made a few dodgy signings himself but the signings of Ando, Cardo and Skippy (especially) has changed our season. If we stay up, keep a few of these guys, especially Skippy, add a few decent players and get Tam O’Ware back, fully fit I think things will be a lot better next season. Jacqui Lowe at POTY last night made it pretty clear that Caldwell and Kerr have the full backing of the board and they expect the club to kick on next season IF we stay up!

Edited by Sting777

11 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

That's the paradox. He turned it round at half time. Again we need to leave the sniping (in general) to the summer.

Baffled as to why debates about the team selection or criticism of Caldwell's overall tactical approach (which do not equal "sniping") should be silenced "until the summer" just because we won yesterday.  We were losing at half time to part-timers and staring down the seaside barrel.  It's great to have turned that around on this occasion and got the points (after an extremely unlikely, form-defying game from McGinty and 45 from Harkins), but we're still 9th and looking at three vital games to avoid disaster.  Lots of folk are concerned about Caldwell's starting selections - this one certainly didn't work and could easily have cost us dear - and although I give him huge credit for a fantastic transfer window, we've failed several times to take good chances in winnable games to climb up the table. 

Should we still leave criticism to the summer if we fail to win away at Ayr, and are 9th with two games left?

GC starts with a more robust formation/line up is because the last time we started 433 with Cardell etc we got beat 4.2. Starting well, going two up but then getting run all over in the second half and losing 4 goals. That team lacked 'legs'. Yesterday we hoped to be more solid and hope Alloa would tire in the second half and then take advantage of this, which we did. Am I right in thinking that the wasps had the best run of form of all in the league going into this game?  Well done Gary Caldwell. 

9 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Caldwell clearly has some glaring deficiencies as a manager, but he does some things well. He certainly deserves credit for realising his mistake (and it was his mistake) with the starting lineup and fixing it at half time. I don’t think Archibald would have done that.

This is Spot on. Archie rarely made successful substitutions and normally his first sub would be with 15 to go. Caldwell got the starting 11 wrong but changed it positively so I’m not sure why all of the negative fannies are on here bleating.. we came from behind to win a game ffs

57 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Baffled as to why debates about the team selection or criticism of Caldwell's overall tactical approach (which do not equal "sniping") should be silenced "until the summer" just because we won yesterday.  We were losing at half time to part-timers and staring down the seaside barrel.  It's great to have turned that around on this occasion and got the points (after an extremely unlikely, form-defying game from McGinty and 45 from Harkins), but we're still 9th and looking at three vital games to avoid disaster.  Lots of folk are concerned about Caldwell's starting selections - this one certainly didn't work and could easily have cost us dear - and although I give him huge credit for a fantastic transfer window, we've failed several times to take good chances in winnable games to climb up the table. 

Should we still leave criticism to the summer if we fail to win away at Ayr, and are 9th with two games left?

To be fair those part timers as you call Alloa have beaten most teams in the league including the top 2

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

Losing at home to part timers?          They were the league's form team at kick off.       That's desperate stuff

1 minute ago, professor challenger said:

Losing at home to part timers?          They were the league's form team at kick off.       That's desperate stuff

Fair enough.  The main point I was making is that I don't agree that all criticism of the team should be suspended until summer. 

13 hours ago, Sting777 said:

Dont know if anyone else noted Goodwin going round all  the Thistle players at the end and shaking their hands. Hated him as a player but he appears a class act!

He does that every game win lose or draw he is class

6 minutes ago, waspie13 said:

He does that every game win lose or draw he is class

I was in early yesterday and was beside where Goodwin was supervising the goalie training. He saw two really young jags fans watching. He grabbed a ball and ran over to them to let them have a touch. The two wee boys  tried to run away with the ball until their dad stopped them and sent them back to give it to Goodwin, who was knotting himself.  Yip, he appears to be a class act. With the unbelievable job he has done at Alloa, a big job beckons in the not too distant future methinks!!

I'm not sure what Caldwell could have done more in the last few games. If results elsewhere go our way then we're 6th. 

This league is such that, truly, everyone can beat everyone. I do think that we'll be safe, as it appears that Ayr are running out of steam (famous last words etc). Caldwell has made mistakes with team selection, but he has been quick to rectify them. He is a young manager still learning the ropes, and a certain amount of patience is required. As has been mentioned above he has a couple of key things in his favour. He got rid of a lot of shite very quickly. He replaced said shite very well. McDonald and Cardle have been excellent signings (Skippy has been utterly invaluable). Ando has been good for us too. There haven't been any (or many I can think of) who have been utter huddies. This was definitely not the case with Archie. 

His willingness to change to a more attacking shape when we need a goal has been exciting. He has changed the mentality in that we no longer seem to be hanging on at the end of games. In fact, we have scored a few late winners iirc. Archie couldn't solve this problem. Caldwell has.

So all in all I'm happy with what he has brought, and I look forward to a full season under him. I'm actually looking forward to the summer transfer window. Archie couldn't be trusted with a transfer window, as for every Connor Sammon there were umpteen clown-shoe no-marks from the English lower leagues who, at best, stunk out the first team and, at worst, stunk out the reserves. 

I'm fine with folk sniping at Caldwell, but there needs to be some context applied.