Partick Thistle vs Alloa Athletic - Part IV

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Genuinely don't know where you're coming from with this pish.
Today's team is better and stronger than the one he inherited.       Given that I don't see where the criticism comes from.
So you're happy to watch a Thistle side, who are fighting for their lives, being absolutely bossed by a part time team at home? This is not the first time our 'tactical genius' of a manager has got the starting line up and tactics horribly wrong. Reminder.....the remit was promotion. Reality.....three games to avoid back to back relegation.

13 minutes ago, NotAFan said:
54 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:
FFS We won a must win game. We should leave the sniping until we're safe or down.

Yes, but we won it by not playing very well.

Good user name. Every win matters. Never be ashamed of the team you support!

10 minutes ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Terrible starting eleven and terrible first half. We'll stay up by a bawhair but we need to tell Caldwell to GTF in the summer. Clueless fanny.

That's the paradox. He turned it round at half time. Again we need to leave the sniping (in general) to the summer.

7 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

That's the paradox. He turned it round at half time. Again we need to leave the sniping (in general) to the summer.

Not really, it was his own shite and baffling first team selection that got changed to what anyone with half a brain wound have done at half time. He shouldn't be applauded for cleaning up his own shite.

Not really, it was his own shite and baffling first team selection that got changed to what anyone with half a brain wound have done at half time. He shouldn't be applauded for cleaning up his own shite.
I only applaud the victory but then again should we not give him credit for two half time subs?
Especially with Harkins decent performance stopping utter meltdowns?

I only applaud the victory but then again should we not give him credit for two half time subs?
Jesus, I admire your patience but I've lost count now of the amount of times this absolute tactical genius has failed to to get our starting eleven and tactics correct. I no nothing about football but surely v Alloa you play lots of width and pull them about all over the place but we insisted on trying to play through the middle which Alloa lapped up. Constantly correcting your mistakes doesn't make you a great manager.

51 minutes ago, NotAFan said:
1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Jesus, I admire your patience but I've lost count now of the amount of times this absolute tactical genius has failed to to get our starting eleven and tactics correct. I no nothing about football but surely v Alloa you play lots of width and pull them about all over the place but we insisted on trying to play through the middle which Alloa lapped up. Constantly correcting your mistakes doesn't make you a great manager.

Just out of curiosity if your team is Cowdenbeath why would you have went to Firhill today?

It seems clear to be a tactical ploy of Caldwell's in itself to bring on a bit of pace and wing play as a bit of a curve ball in the second half. It's had mixed results: clearly failing at home to ICT; almost/just about working out against Dunfermline; and clearly contributing to a marked diffence in the second half today.

The downside is first halfs like today where we had an anonymous midfield and static attack, with Sean McGinty advancing as our main playmaker and not even having an option for the defence splitting pass required (that he's never likely to make in a million years anyway).  I'd personally rather see our best 11 on the pitch from the start, especially in midweek, but bringing on credible attacking options from the bench is at least a welcome enough reverse from Archibald where we were too often clinging onto a lead with no out ball at all. 

2 hours ago, professor challenger said:

Genuinely don't know where you're coming from with this pish.

Today's team is better and stronger than the one he inherited.       Given that I don't see where the criticism comes from.

No, you’re right. He’s done a splendid job since taking over. Ignoring obviously the fact that we’re not safe from relegation with 3 games to go.

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Caldwell gets credit when he leaves the team in credit.

He leaves the team in credit when it’s in a better league position than the one he inherited.

On that remit he is still failing.

Caldwell gets credit when he leaves the team in credit.
He leaves the team in credit when it’s in a better league position than the one he inherited.
On that remit he is still failing.
How did Erskine get on today? [emoji848]

Caldwell clearly has some glaring deficiencies as a manager, but he does some things well. He certainly deserves credit for realising his mistake (and it was his mistake) with the starting lineup and fixing it at half time. I don’t think Archibald would have done that.

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

The two half time subs that he had to make because his starting 11 and formation were abysmal? Yes, well done Gary. 

Good result today in the end, and thank god for McDonald. Hopefully this gives us the final wee push we need to survive.

But this ‘save the sniping for the end of the season’ patter is bollocks. Caldwell has taken us into a relegation dogfight - our plight is almost entirely his doing and his consistently poor team selections, formations and endless supply of bullshit can’t be blamed on anyone else. I’ll snipe at him if I wish, cheers. 

Archived