Best Place to Live in Scotland

Sooky

3 hours ago, Anna Higgins said:

I realise this is an old thread but I am really hoping someone can help with some advice.

We are an English born family who have lived in Scotland for the last 5 years (fulfilling a life-long dream). Problem is we now realise that the area we moved to in rural Dumfries & Galloway is incredibly racist and anti-English and not at all what we had hoped for. We have 2 primary school aged kids and I have had enough of asking them 'Which kid in your class hit/punched/spat at their teacher today?'

In short, I just need advice about nice, friendly places to live in Scotland - somewhere as interesting and as beautiful as where we currently live, just simply somewhere with less racism and litter.

I have fallen in love with Irvine and I'd love to know if anyone has any experience living there? Any advice would be much welcomed. We are looking for a 3 or 4 bed house for under £700 pcm, close to a good primary school.

Dundee is accepting of all backgrounds, even a doric accent like mine.

You won't go wrong up in Oban either, although it could be a bit pricey.

Big thanks to those of you who have given me useful suggestions - I'll be spending the next few weeks glued to rightmove and hope we find something suitable. It was my dream to live in Scotland since I was a kid and was proud to be able to vote SNP and lend my voice towards Scottish Independence but sometimes I wonder whether life might just be easier if we went back to England and just forgot about the last 5 years. I think I put a bit too much faith in a daft dream. I really really should've listened when someone told me that Sanquhar was a shithole. They were right.

Anyway - I'll be off now to do whatever it is that bots with feelings do.

I used to work with a girl who came from Irvine. She spoke very highly of it and, after a bit of time in Cardiff and elsewhere, moved back there. 
Don't think I have set foot there myself before. 
I lived in Irvine in my "formative" years and loved it. Still got loads of mates there. It's exactly like everywhere else in so much as it has some really nice areas and some really dodgy areas but as always all you ever here about is the bad.

Main issue today is just like every other provincial town, it's main street gives an awful 1st impression with the usual mix of empty shops or vape/bookies/cash converter type outlets. Still some decent pubs and a nice harbour side area too.

It's certainly no worse than Ayr, Kilmarnock etc

44 minutes ago, Anna Higgins said:

I am absolutely not a bot!!! Not if bots sit at their kitchen table smoking rollies and sobbing whilst trying to figure out their life.

Fife - Check us out!

To be fair, Fife is reasonably cheap and it’s an okay place to live. Loads of nice beaches and parks. Haven’t noticed any anti-English racism but then I’m not English. I work with various folk from England though and a couple of them live in Fife - Dalgety Bay and Dunfermline. 

Edited by Scary Bear

59 minutes ago, Anna Higgins said:

Why is anti-English attitudes a good thing? 

I apologise I thought you were a troll who had signed up to an account on a Scottish football website to ask question about where in Scotland to live but greeting plus smoking rollies in the kitchen rings true as I'm sure @Melanius Mullarkey can testify.

Have you thought about Edinburgh New Town?

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I apologise I thought you were a troll who had signed up to an account on a Scottish football website to ask question about where in Scotland to live but greeting plus smoking rollies in the kitchen rings true as I'm sure @Melanius Mullarkey can testify.

not a troll or a bot. just a young(ish) mother trying to do right by my kids. Left England cos I hate B**** J****** so much and had more faith in the intelligence of Scottish folk but I now find myself surrounded by Scottish Brexit voters who discuss who their favourite member of the royal family is. But I still have faith that not everywhere in Scotland is like Sanquhar.

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Might want to read her opening post again She can only pay £700 a month Think that will rule out Edinburgh

1 hour ago, Anna Higgins said:

I am absolutely not a bot!!! Not if bots sit at their kitchen table smoking rollies and sobbing whilst trying to figure out their life.

Do we need milk? Can you check the fridge to see if we need Lurpak. Just heading into Tesco now.

29 minutes ago, Anna Higgins said:

not a troll or a bot. just a young(ish) mother trying to do right by my kids. Left England cos I hate B**** J****** so much and had more faith in the intelligence of Scottish folk but I now find myself surrounded by Scottish Brexit voters who discuss who their favourite member of the royal family is. But I still have faith that not everywhere in Scotland is like Sanquhar.

Dundee it is then.

30 minutes ago, Anna Higgins said:

But I still have faith that not everywhere in Scotland is like Sanquhar.

wp_20150328_09_00_07_pro.thumb.jpg.7061bec42605e1aa3f052aafa980dcb2.jpg

Come on in, al show yi aboot. 

8 minutes ago, throbber said:

The next time I have a weekend to myself I’m going to take a drive to Dumfries and or Galloway as I’ve never been.

Don't. 

On 14/04/2019 at 10:07, Sooky said:

The Sunday Times have compiled a list of the best places to live in Scotland, with Dundee taking the top spot. Dundee appears to have been given top spot due to its “transformation from run-down industrial relic to vibrant creative hub” and its low house prices. West End and Broughty Ferry get much praise, but the Sunday Times do appear to be concerned by the lack of John Lewis in the city...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dundee-best-places-to-live-r2lwq7tkx

Honourable mentions have gone to:

Leith, Edinburgh

Stockbridge, Edinburgh

Finnieston, Glasgow

Killearn, Stirling

Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire

Mull, Argyll and Bute

North Berwick, East Lothian

Port Appin, Argyll and Bute

St Boswells, Scottish Borders

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/best-places-to-live-scotland-sunday-times-033c9cwxz

Is Dundee a rightful winner?

Where is the best place to live in Scotland?

Do any P&Bers hail from the 10 best places to live?

Can a place truly be a good place to live if there is no John Lewis?

Can remember about 30 year before that article i think it was the 10 best towns in Britain to live in Beith was at number 7 Not sure why Kilbirnie did not get a mention :)