Best Place to Live in Scotland

Sooky

34 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Rome is massively over crowded, has terrible traffic jams and pollution, is full of homeless African refugees, is generally pretty grubby and run down, almost everything is covered in graffiti and they empty the bins about twice a year.  Oh and it's built on a humid, muggy swamp.

Obviously Glasgow doesn't have the history or culture that Rome has but as a place to live Glasgow might actually be better.

Less chance of being run over by a bin lorry at least.

Guest Moomintroll
Rome is massively over crowded, has terrible traffic jams and pollution, is full of homeless African refugees, is generally pretty grubby and run down, almost everything is covered in graffiti and they empty the bins about twice a year.  Oh and it's built on a humid, muggy swamp.
Obviously Glasgow doesn't have the history or culture that Rome has but as a place to live Glasgow might actually be better.
I may have been lucky when I visited Rome, but thought it was a fantastic city & the public water fountains were great. The only issue is that massive sodding museum that turns up every time you turn a corner. Barcelona has a bigger issue with refugees , I only interacted with one guy when I was there and gave him 20 Euros after talking to him, he was a good guy in a desperate situation.

Maybe not the best place for this, but I realised recently how much I detest Aberdeen despite having been there very rarely. I regularly deal with Aberdeen City Council, NHS Grampian and Aberdeen Sheriff Court and they are all 100 times worse than any other equivalent body in another part of Scotland for making up pointless rules or being pedantic abrasive b*****ds. I imagine it must be awful to live there.

54 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I may have been lucky when I visited Rome, but thought it was a fantastic city & the public water fountains were great. The only issue is that massive sodding museum that turns up every time you turn a corner. Barcelona has a bigger issue with refugees , I only interacted with one guy when I was there and gave him 20 Euros after talking to him, he was a good guy in a desperate situation.

The public water fountains are great when they don't have giant dead beetles floating in them! :lol:

I like Rome, I probably know it better than any other city other than Glasgow but people tend to idealise foreign cities and Scots love to denigrate their own country for some reason. 

Anyway, for no other reason Glasgow is better as they don't ring church bells at 3.00am in the morning here!

Maybe not the best place for this, but I realised recently how much I detest Aberdeen despite having been there very rarely. I regularly deal with Aberdeen City Council, NHS Grampian and Aberdeen Sheriff Court and they are all 100 times worse than any other equivalent body in another part of Scotland for making up pointless rules or being pedantic abrasive b*****ds. I imagine it must be awful to live there.

Well you’ll need to start imagining it’s the 32nd best place to live in Europe.

1 minute ago, tarapoa said:

Well you’ll need to start imagining it’s the 32nd best place to live in Europe.

Europe in “only having 32 places” shocker.

Edited by The OP

Guest Moomintroll
The public water fountains are great when they don't have giant dead beetles floating in them! [emoji38]
I like Rome, I probably know it better than any other city other than Glasgow but people tend to idealise foreign cities and Scots love to denigrate their own country for some reason. 
Anyway, for no other reason Glasgow is better as they don't ring church bells at 3.00am in the morning here!
Didn't hear the bells ringing at 3 AM, was probably still melted at that time tbf. I properly freaked out the first time I went to Sharm el Shiekh when the Mosques started the call to prayer around 5 in the morning, sounded very martial.

For students in Dundee compared to places like Edinburgh and Glasgow, the rent tends to be incredibly cheaper. However, there is obviously less properties, so you need to get sorted well in advance. Or you risk resorting to somewhere like Perth or Arbroath *shudder*

• 2 years later...

I realise this is an old thread but I am really hoping someone can help with some advice.

We are an English born family who have lived in Scotland for the last 5 years (fulfilling a life-long dream). Problem is we now realise that the area we moved to in rural Dumfries & Galloway is incredibly racist and anti-English and not at all what we had hoped for. We have 2 primary school aged kids and I have had enough of asking them 'Which kid in your class hit/punched/spat at their teacher today?'

In short, I just need advice about nice, friendly places to live in Scotland - somewhere as interesting and as beautiful as where we currently live, just simply somewhere with less racism and litter.

I have fallen in love with Irvine and I'd love to know if anyone has any experience living there? Any advice would be much welcomed. We are looking for a 3 or 4 bed house for under £700 pcm, close to a good primary school.

27 minutes ago, Anna Higgins said:

I realise this is an old thread but I am really hoping someone can help with some advice.

We are an English born family who have lived in Scotland for the last 5 years (fulfilling a life-long dream). Problem is we now realise that the area we moved to in rural Dumfries & Galloway is incredibly racist and anti-English and not at all what we had hoped for. We have 2 primary school aged kids and I have had enough of asking them 'Which kid in your class hit/punched/spat at their teacher today?'

In short, I just need advice about nice, friendly places to live in Scotland - somewhere as interesting and as beautiful as where we currently live, just simply somewhere with less racism and litter.

I have fallen in love with Irvine and I'd love to know if anyone has any experience living there? Any advice would be much welcomed. We are looking for a 3 or 4 bed house for under £700 pcm, close to a good primary school.

Lochee ticks all these boxes. 

Also no "Rangers pubs". 

1 hour ago, Anna Higgins said:

I used to work with a girl who came from Irvine. She spoke very highly of it and, after a bit of time in Cardiff and elsewhere, moved back there. 

Don't think I have set foot there myself before. 

1 hour ago, Anna Higgins said:

I have fallen in love with Irvine

This has to be a joke.

Eta: that said, the bit with the cobbled streets around the castle is superficially quite nice, but still.

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, Anna Higgins said:

On the off chance you’re not a Bot, Fife is cracking. We have an advert and everything.