Best Place to Live in Scotland

Sooky

I think I'm lucky to have be brought up in Aberdour, pretty much down hill from there. We are pretty luckily in general in Scotland I've spent the last week in London and it's an utter hole once you leave the center 

Fuckin’ right you are, brother! While I wasn’t raised in Aberdour I spent a few years there. Teckle wee place. Bought my first pint legally in Aberdour, it was £2.55 at the time.

4 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Fuckin’ right you are, brother! While I wasn’t raised in Aberdour I spent a few years there. Teckle wee place. Bought my first pint legally in Aberdour, it was £2.55 at the time.

good place to be as a kid but making the most of it because I doubt I could afford to move back, sadly.

good place to be as a kid but making the most of it because I doubt I could afford to move back, sadly.

No, I know I certainly couldn’t unless I was to get a better paying job back down the road, unlikely, and had a few years of just saving and doing nothing, even less likely!

• 2 weeks later...
Port Appin??? There's about 5 houses there. This sounds like some bullshitting journo has stayed in one of the posh hotels and decided it was a great place to live.

It’s great - cycled there and taken the wee ferry to Lismore a couple of times - and at least it has a shop and a pub/restaurant.

North-east not getting a look in on this thread, but very glad I moved out Deeside way in recent times as quality of life much better than Aberdeen and suburbs where I spent most of my years, especially in the summer months when you can add 5 deg on to average temperatures.

Dundee is ok nowadays, but there are still a lot of brutal parts for a relatively small city e.g anywhere near the Kingsway.

South Queensferry, Inverness, North Berwick, Stirling and Dunfermline all seem ok.

28 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

North-east not getting a look in on this thread, but very glad I moved out Deeside way in recent times as quality of life much better than Aberdeen and suburbs where I spent most of my years, especially in the summer months when you can add 5 deg on to average temperatures.

Simply because I could in the ace weather, I travelled from Keith to Aberdeen yesterday evening via Rhynie, Dinnet, Aboyne & Bunkry (just in case a new Name That Toon thread started or something).  Only encountered a single car (and a tractor) between Huntly and Dinnet with the sunset turning the whole place from Mount Keen down to Clachnaben 'Colin Baxter red'.  Superb.  Considered a brief leg-stretch up Scolty but knew I'd probably carry on to the Cairn o' Mount if I did.

I don't think people appreciate how relatively dry and warm the area is until they properly move in/away.  I get the impression most people from the Central Belt get to Glenshee for the skiing and then turn back.  Not that you'll be complaining. ;)

Edited by Hedgecutter

Dundee waterfront is pretty impressive these days. I loved the old Olympia but the new one is decent enough, glad they kept the Cannonball!! 

The gardens look cracking and it’s a cracking space for holding outdoor summer concerts. 

With Dundee sitting on a hill and a lot of areas looking out to the Tay, it should be a cracking place to live. 

I love Inverness, if I had to move to another Scottish City I would quite fancy there. People are down to earth, centre is nice enough with nice walks along the River Ness. Also with a 20 minute drive to some cracking beauty spots. 

If i had to chose anywhere in Scotland to move to, it’d probably be one of the wee towns or villages on the west coast along the A78, obviously not Saltcoats! Troon or Barrassie or something maybe. Would happily move to my Mums hometown of Prestwick.

Perth & Kinross is nice I'll give you that.

The right blend of Highland scenery, nice wee towns, but relative proximity to the larger centres of population, transport hubs etc....

It's similar to S.W. Aberdeenshire, which of course borders it.........

Guest Moomintroll
Bizarre thread!   The best place to live is, of course......

image.jpeg.7cccc6a03062867881cc12019216a23c.jpeg

image.jpeg.db6fdf20a1d0297a71bb6e0c53194c6f.jpeg

gardens_to_visit_perthshire.jpg&key=f62234ec355112103bcee3c0824a89ab060a034e5b68af11fac2a706adc96a8a

welcome-to-perthshire.jpg&key=02e922862b0e3056cd950601c61610a4f041cd804d3edf224fb4410487c919cf
Great place to have a Music Festival, can someone tell the wankers at the HSE this please. If they are not too busy watching massive planes landing on a pipeline that is far too fragile for people to walk across of course.

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Aberdeen being above Prague is utterly, utterly bonkers.

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Aberdeen being above Prague is utterly, utterly bonkers.

Probably two reasons......

(i) Drive a mile or two any way out of the centre of Prague, and you're into very grim Stalinist looking buildings   (in ABZ you can probably still get that in Tillydrone or Torry, but there are nice parts too)

(ii)  Low-cost airlines have turned a beautiful city into a place where lads from Rotherham go on staggers to get smashed up and visit t1tty bars................wait, that can be either city too

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't really get why Edinburgh's on there either tbh. 5 years ago maybe but it's Harry Potter World with 10000 airbnbs these days.

Edinburgh is a nice city to visit. If it was a shitehole the tourists would stop coming. Probably why it’s on the list.

7 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Or Glasgow above Rome!!

Rome is massively over crowded, has terrible traffic jams and pollution, is full of homeless African refugees, is generally pretty grubby and run down, almost everything is covered in graffiti and they empty the bins about twice a year.  Oh and it's built on a humid, muggy swamp.

Obviously Glasgow doesn't have the history or culture that Rome has but as a place to live Glasgow might actually be better.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!