Best Place to Live in Scotland

Sooky

7 hours ago, Sooky said:

The Sunday Times have compiled a list of the best places to live in Scotland, with Dundee taking the top spot. Dundee appears to have been given top spot due to its “transformation from run-down industrial relic to vibrant creative hub” and its low house prices. West End and Broughty Ferry get much praise, but the Sunday Times do appear to be concerned by the lack of John Lewis in the city...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dundee-best-places-to-live-r2lwq7tkx

Honourable mentions have gone to:

Leith, Edinburgh

Stockbridge, Edinburgh

Finnieston, Glasgow

Killearn, Stirling

Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire

Mull, Argyll and Bute

North Berwick, East Lothian

Port Appin, Argyll and Bute

St Boswells, Scottish Borders

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/best-places-to-live-scotland-sunday-times-033c9cwxz

Is Dundee a rightful winner?

Where is the best place to live in Scotland?

Do any P&Bers hail from the 10 best places to live?

Can a place truly be a good place to live if there is no John Lewis?

Leith is ok if you like wanky pubs selling craft beers, coffee joints and student flats

This resurgence of Dundee thing seems to be a overgrown media hype job consisting of the V and A and load of plastic buildings thrown up by the Riverside plus a Malmaison. Haven't been on Perth Rd for a while so assuming that's still decent. West Port has one decent bar now and Broughty Ferry is probably the most overrated area in the country. Looks alright but populated by rednecks who really think they've made it in life. 

Stockbridge is good but only has the one gear, Leith should've been a clear winner. 

After moving to Dundee last year, I can confirm that it is a great place to live. Having lived in Fife, Argyll, Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire, Dundee is top of my list. The kids love it, great parks and plenty to do. Close enough to most other cities. 

More down to earth people than Aberdeen.

Not as overpriced as Edinburgh.

Not as deluded as Glasgow.

Not Perth.

Pitty the football on show is absolute dug shite.

1 hour ago, ecto said:

They have transformed the waterfront, torn down many of the multis, so improved yes, best place to live, not sure

Aye I know, I lived there and it was decent. Glasgow and Edinburgh are much better cities, however.  Then if you prefer country living, it obviously doesn’t tick that box either. That’s why in my opinion it should be nowhere near the best.

Salaries in Dundee are low, a lot of the accommodation is gash, there aren’t many jobs, loads of junkies/poverty still, a bit out the way geographically. It is much improved though and I do hope it continues.

Reading that £1 billion has been/is being spent rejuvenating Dundee. Now I won’t ever discourage investment to revitalise somewhere, but having so much being focused in one area while there’s countless towns and villages across the country dying on their arses with next to no investment doesn’t add up.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

After moving to Dundee last year, I can confirm that it is a great place to live. Having lived in Fife, Argyll, Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire, Dundee is top of my list. 

Dictionary definition of being damned by faint praise.

26 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Reading that £1 billion has been/is being spent rejuvenating Dundee. Now I won’t ever discourage investment to revitalise somewhere, but having so much being focused in one area while there’s countless towns and villages across the country dying on their arses with next to no investment doesn’t add up.

That volume of cash suddenly being put into a small city to "regenerate"  will probably mean a load of shit flats and hotels at inflated prices that will put more pressure on somewhere like Reading Rooms which seems to be the only decent club Dundee has left to shut down.  It's a decent media story though, a once notoriously struggling city starting to find it's feet etc.....

29 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Leith has too many hipsters IMO

Dundee is going that way too, rapidly. 

10 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

That volume of cash suddenly being put into a small city to "regenerate"  will probably mean a load of shit flats and hotels at inflated prices that will put more pressure on somewhere like Reading Rooms which seems to be the only decent club Dundee has left to shut down.  It's a decent media story though, a once notoriously struggling city starting to find it's feet etc.....

The Rooms is fucked. 

10 minutes ago, Dele said:

Dundee is going that way too, rapidly. 

The Rooms is fucked. 

Been hearing quite a lot about it. It's brutal what seems to be happening to the place, if true. Thought things were bad through here for good music venues.

The small towns directly across the tay from Dundee are the best places to stay. Go to Dundee when we need to easily for the good facilities but not have to actually live their.

Dont know where they live these days but the centre is still full of onion bhajis

59 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Should have picked Rigside on condition that the community council got full control of the funds, just to see what the 'Mickey Carroll of places' would look like. 

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

but having so much being focused in one area while there’s countless towns and villages across the country dying on their arses with next to no investment doesn’t add up.

Because there's a lot more profit to made from puting the cash there compared to other places that aren't suddenly getting listed as a cool place to be and it'll still be pretty cheap and easy to develop upon.

Edited by Boostin' Kev