County vs Partick 13/04/2019

The final game of the season between the two relegated sides. This season has been successful for one and not for the other.

We've won every game against Partick this season and despite us being hit with another defensive injury, I don't see Partick beating us. 2-1 to County which would leave us either as champions (if Ayr beat United) or on the verge of it.

Fox

Fraser Boyle Grivosti Kelly

Mullin Cowie Lindsay Gardyne

Stewart Graham

Is how we will probably line up, but I'd prefer:

Fox

Lindsay Paton Spence

Mullin                      Midge            

Stewart

I'd like to see Gardyne more central and given a free role similar to the second half on Tuesday, with Armstrong and Mullin on the wings, dropping Graham to make the space for that with Stewart up top.

Edit: Go out to attack and get a goal early to settle the nerves.

Edited by Spain

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

So, if United fail to win tomorrow and County beat Thistle then that's it all wrapped up?

Yes. I think even a County draw and a Yinited defeat leaves it down to GD.

Conscious that Partick are battling for survival - as arguably are half the league - so they will be working hard to win this.

So:

Fox  

Cowie Lindsay  

Mullin Gardyne McManus

Graham  

would do me for a start.

Use all subs, starting from 60 minutes or so as fatigue is telling at times.  Stewart, Armstrong and Spence.

Carry on.

I’m worried about Bannigan missing out for the next two games. He took an injury early in the second half of Thistle’s collapse in the last meeting of the teams. Not sure how we adequately fill that gap? Slater or Harkins will probably come back in. Also defence could be an issue with Elliott, Saunders and McMillan apparently picking up knocks.

County have stuttered at times recently but are a hard nut to crack at home. I’d probably take a draw if offered but that might not be enough to keep us off bottom spot. 

We might as well setup more like the second half against Dunfermline and just attack, as we're absolutely pish at defending right now. If we go up there with the aim of keeping it tight and stealing a goal it's got 2-0 County written all over it.

Would take a point here and now. 

Although County are clearly the best side in the division in many respects there isn't a baw hair between all the teams in the league as witnessed when Alloa beat County a couple of weeks ago. As such it would surprise me a little if any team won all 4 league matches against another across the season. So I'm clinging to that hope for tomorrow, and for our remaining matches with Ayr. 

Of the remaining games tomorrow's match is the one that most Thistle fans probably have marked down as a defeat. I don't think a loss tomorrow, which could send us back to the bottom, is a season ending disaster although it would add that bit extra pressure on to the Alloa game. It's the Alloa game, I think, more than tomorrow that will define where we finish the season. A win though would be a massive boost. 

I like Spain's idea of a 3 behind Ross Stewart (#TashhagStewartMania). I've been advocating a return of Gardyne to the #10 position for months... months, you hear me!

I would also like to retract every statement I've made concerning Sean Kelly and how he's "fine" at this level. However, Grivosti is a better defender than VDW so that somewhat balances out the "Kelly factor".

Last time out against Thistle County didn't turn up until after half-time. It sounds like the exact same thing happened on Tuesday night versus Dunfermline too.  So there's hope for Thistle there, and County usually seem to try their best to chuck at least one goal in each game with hilarious (<_<) defending.

Still, hopefully the team can sign off this season with a late flurry of three goal wins.

The bigger game for Partick this weekend is tonight. The double header V Ayr could be massive for them in the last week so in all reality, Ayr playing for nothing is exactly what Partick need.

Wouldn't be surpised if tomorrow finishes in a poor draw after Ayr beat DU tonight. 0-0 or 1-1. Hope I'm wrong and we romp our way to the title but we haven't put in a convincing performance since the second half at Firhill in all honesty.

1 hour ago, MarkPockets said:

The bigger game for Partick this weekend is tonight. The double header V Ayr could be massive for them in the last week so in all reality, Ayr playing for nothing is exactly what Partick need.

Wouldn't be surpised if tomorrow finishes in a poor draw after Ayr beat DU tonight. 0-0 or 1-1. Hope I'm wrong and we romp our way to the title but we haven't put in a convincing performance since the second half at Firhill in all honesty.

There was about twenty minutes against Dunfermline in the second half where we looked really pretty decent but once again, we've 80% rubbish 20% decent at best.

That's the title decider cancelled after tonight's result.

County, Please bear in mind that by losing to us tomorrow you increase the chance of winning the league at home rather than at Somerset park next week.

Thanks