Have just booked a few nights away to Spain through TUI.  Picked the dates and hotel and decided to upgrade the room and full payment made.  Paperwork all comes through and you think everything is fine. 

Received an email 2 days ago stating there has been a problem and they have had to change my room.  Then discover that we have been downgraded from what we booked and as far as TUI is concerned everything is hunky.

Contacted them by phone and got put through to the hotel changes department. Waited for 20 minutes before the phone was answered and was told "sorry we are really busy"  and my reply was that there must be a lot of people getting their rooms and hotels changed then.  Explained the problem to the girl and asked if I had been upgraded or downgraded and why.  Was told that all the room style that I had booked were sold and we had been given a lower class of room. Told her I was not happy and I would be considering a 100% refund.  She then stated terms and conditions state that that will not be possible!  I explained that they had breached the contract but again was told terms and conditions apply.

I then asked if I could speak to a supervisor but was told the supervisor may not want to speak to me! I asked what kind of outfit were they and I wanted to speak to supervisor.  Left on hold for 10 minutes and supervisor comes on the phone and explains that they has changed my room and I am still getting to go on holiday and what is the problem.  Go through the scenaro again and told that there will be no 100% refund.  She was then told not to worry about it that we would deal with the matter in court and at this point she stated she would speak to head office.  A short time later she phoned back with offer of compenstion and matter eventually resolved.

These companies seem to think that once they have your money you will accept any shit they throuw at you.  Imagine going into a garage and paying for a BMW and then discovering that there were none left and they were going to give you a Mini and if you didn't like it there would be no refund.

Anyone else had issues and how did you resolve it?

They have the worst customer service I have ever encountered. We went to the Dominican last year and there were 6 errors in their description of the hotel but the worst bit was, the drinks during the day were non alcoholic and if you wanted a real beer or wine you had to pay extra. We were "all inclusive !! Never heard of this before or since.

When we got back, after I complained, they changed the description of the hotel and said there was nothing else they could do !

They still dont advertise you have to pay extra for alcohol.

The told me it was my responsibility to check all the details before booking - not sure how I do it when there were so many errors/lies on their website

I thought going to ABTA would help but they are worse - maybe because the chairman of Tui Is on the board of ABTA.  They basically said that as the advert has now been changed what more could Tui do. Nothing about compensating customers that booked under false pretences

Check out the Tui holiday complaints group on FB. Some of the stories are outrageous. We used Thomson for years but since the Tui takeover they have gone massively downhill and I would not use them again if you paid me.

On 11/04/2019 at 07:08, Moonglum25 said:

Have just booked a few nights away to Spain through TUI.  Picked the dates and hotel and decided to upgrade the room and full payment made.  Paperwork all comes through and you think everything is fine. 

Received an email 2 days ago stating there has been a problem and they have had to change my room.  Then discover that we have been downgraded from what we booked and as far as TUI is concerned everything is hunky.

Out of interest did they at least offer to pay you back what you paid for the upgrade?

On 11/04/2019 at 08:03, FuzzyBear said:

They have the worst customer service I have ever encountered. We went to the Dominican last year and there were 6 errors in their description of the hotel but the worst bit was, the drinks during the day were non alcoholic and if you wanted a real beer or wine you had to pay extra. We were "all inclusive !! Never heard of this before or since.

When we got back, after I complained, they changed the description of the hotel and said there was nothing else they could do !

They still dont advertise you have to pay extra for alcohol.

The told me it was my responsibility to check all the details before booking - not sure how I do it when there were so many errors/lies on their website

I thought going to ABTA would help but they are worse - maybe because the chairman of Tui Is on the board of ABTA.  They basically said that as the advert has now been changed what more could Tui do. Nothing about compensating customers that booked under false pretences

Check out the Tui holiday complaints group on FB. Some of the stories are outrageous. We used Thomson for years but since the Tui takeover they have gone massively downhill and I would not use them again if you paid me.

From the FB site it sounds like the only way to get them to settle quickly is taking them to a Small Claims court, "simple procedure" in Scotland. Costs £19 if the claim is for less than £300, which Tui would have to pay if they lose or settle, £104 for a claim between £300 and £5000.

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Out of interest did they at least offer to pay you back what you paid for the upgrade?

Yes they paid back the difference in the upgrade but it was not much.  They seem to think they can ride roughshod once they have your money.  First time I have done a package holiday in years and reminded me why I don't. 

It was only the threat of going to court that changed their minds. Was for cancelling and seeing what they would do but could not really be bothered looking for another break and going through the process again.  As the break is only for 4 nights will put up with it but will not use them again. 

2 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Yes they paid back the difference in the upgrade but it was not much.  They seem to think they can ride roughshod once they have your money.  First time I have done a package holiday in years and reminded me why I don't. 

It was only the threat of going to court that changed their minds. Was for cancelling and seeing what they would do but could not really be bothered looking for another break and going through the process again.  As the break is only for 4 nights will put up with it but will not use them again. 

Haven't done a package for years, prefer to book an apartment for the same price or less, though I can understand why people would like the hassle free, transfers arranged all in option.  Tui sound really shite, too big to look after their customers or care.

Archived