The battle for 2nd on Friday night football (Dundee United v Ayr)

2 hours ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Few comments about Sow on here I dont agree with. Thought he played well and showed some good hold up play and was a handful for them. Couple of squaffs however.

I thought Sow did pretty well. I think fully fit and given a run he'll get goals. His contribution pales alongside Safranko however.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sow did alright I thought, be a good option from the bench in the playoffs.  Safranko must start though.

Pressure off a bit next 3 games, hopefully Neilson uses the squad sensibly to have everyone ready for the first play off games

Thought we were utter dog shite till Safranko and Clark came on.

Both of them up front caused a tiring Ayr side to panic and we made them make mistakes.

Great finish from big Pav and i remember thinking "nae chance" when McMullan went to shoot. Good finish. 

Harkes was rotten.

Sow....hmmm...theres a player there but hes so off the pace. 

All in all, Neilson was bailed out by the subs but, on the other hand, he did make the substitution so he gets the credit for that. But he should never have dropped Safranko in the first place. 

Our keeper is crap but thankfully he didnt have to do too much but i shat myself when he slipped at that back pass...

I thought bringing on Kerr completely changed the game from our pov. He was a yard off the pace and gave the ball away three times in dangerous areas (including in the build up to the first goal). It was just never the game for Mark Kerr, a player who has been excellent for us at times.

Crawford and Murdoch were bossing the middle and if early season shankland was playing that game could've been done before the Dundee United cavalry arrived.

Shankland needs a rest, or some heroine. Miller looked bright when he came on, but f**k me the players looked dead on their feet in the last fifteen. The games definitely took their toll when United came alive and pressed high.

As for doohan, I'm kind of in the middle. I think he's a massive upgrade on last year, and he's young, so I'm happy to forgive a few errors. But for me nowhere near player of the year. He never really looks comfortable on the deck, and unfortunately that's exactly what Celtic want. Good, solid career ahead I reckon - and I hope he recovers well after last night. He was absolutely gutted.

And what's with the last minute price change?

£20 advertised on the website and £22 at the gate? I brought a neutral pal along and I'd told him it would be twenty. Pretty poor form, and I feel a wee letter to the club is needed.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

£20 advertised on the website and £22 at the gate? I brought a neutral pal along and I'd told him it would be twenty. Pretty poor form, and I feel a wee letter to the club is needed.

Yes 35 quid for a parent and child is beyond a joke .

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Is it £22 upstairs and £20 downstairs in that stand? 

A few opinions from me:

Great, not only to finally score against Ayr, but to beat them as well, effectively securing second place, and will allow us better squad preparation for the play offs.

First half we were fucking appalling, and even simple passes seemed too much for us. (Looking at Harkes in particular here).

Was surprised to see Sow start in such an important game, however given the final outcome and the impact that Pav and Clark had coming on against a tiring Ayr side, will give Robbie the benefit of the doubt. Had the result not been in our favour, people could quite rightly get ripped into Robbie fo an appalling tactical misjudgement. Goes to show how much everything depends not he final score.

You can see he danger Sowcan pose and it has been a long time since we have had a bully like him up top. He showed some great touches and won quite a bit with his physicality, but is a yard short on pace and touch, which perhaps Robbie is trying to hone for the playoffs. If we can keep him injury free, and get him fully fit and functional, he could be huge for us in the playoffs.

I though Mcmullan was immense again yesterday, and he drew bookings from 3 out of 4 of Ayrs backline with his pace and trickery. That being said, decision making and delay of the pass is still frustrating, and had he not scored when he did, he could quite justifiably be criticised for taking on the shot rather than squaring the ball. Again he didn’t stop running and harrying the whole game, and really feel he has flourished under Robbie, probable more than any other.

Agian, I was really impressed with Ayr’s energy and endeavour, particularly in the first half, but you could tell the toll that the their recent fixture pileup has taken on their squad. I am frustrated that having taken the lead against a team that were out on their feet, rather than go for the kill, we went back to shitfest mode to see out the game, and found ourselves defending a corner in injury time, when anything can happen (and usually does).

It’s funny (as always) reading all the different opinions post match, and their constant reminders from Honest Men on here that of your record against us this season, as if we need reminding. To them I say don’t be bitter having lost tonight: you can take solace from the fact that our inability to take anything from you other 3 games this season has been instrumental in our failure to secure automatic promotion.

5 hours ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Few comments about Sow on here I dont agree with. Thought he played well and showed some good hold up play and was a handful for them. Couple of squaffs however.

Sow didn’t play badly but in 60 minutes he didn’t do nearly as much as Safranko did in 30, even leaving the goal aside.

Was pretty much a game of two halves last night. First half was even until we scored and then it was mostly all us for the rest of the first half and the first 15 of the second half was pretty even too.

Game changed on the hour mark when we visibly started to tire leading to simple passes being a challenge plus Clark and Safranko coming on. Btw don't have a clue what Neilson was thinking not starting them because they won that game for Dundee United. McMullen aswell caused us all sorts of problems.

Having watched us play Inverness last week and then Dundee United last night I'm still favouring towards Inverness being a slightly better team. However the three of us all have our strengths and weaknesses which should make the play offs interesting (presuming we make them).

It wasn't just the unadvertised £22 entry - it included a bloke on take at the turnstile. Gave him £50 three notes and says loudly "Two please" and he give me some coins in change and then claims I had only paid for one. Only after a protracted argument and support from the queue behind me (thanks) he relented. 

For only the third  time on my Scottish football travels I refused to pay what they demanded with menaces for food or drink. A teabag and hot water - £2.40? You're having a laugh.... 

51 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

It wasn't just the unadvertised £22 entry - it included a bloke on take at the turnstile. Gave him £50 three notes and says loudly "Two please" and he give me some coins in change and then claims I had only paid for one. Only after a protracted argument and support from the queue behind me (thanks) he relented. 

For only the third  time on my Scottish football travels I refused to pay what they demanded with menaces for food or drink. A teabag and hot water - £2.40? You're having a laugh.... 

I asked for one pie and a bovril .I received two pies and one bovril ..round them 

Archived