The Victim - BBC1 9pm all this week

Anyone watching this?

BBC have been hitting it out the park with their dramas of late and this one is up there too in terms of quality.  Been a nice surprise as sometimes those set in Scotland look like budget, shortbread tin, pish but this is top notch stuff.

A story with similarities to the Jamie Bulger case, with a murderer, who at the age of 13, brutally murders a 9 year old, now out of prison with a new identity as an adult.  Grieving mother (MacDonald) looking to out the killers new identity, which results in a brutal attack on a guy (who we have no idea whether he is really the child murderer).  John Hannah is the detective in charge under pressure not to upset public opinion by charging the mother with incitement to murder.

4 parter all aired this week (Mon to Thurs).  Set in Edinburgh and Port Glasgow.

If you haven't seen it, def worth catching up with on the iplayer.

Full of red herrings as you say and has you changing your mind all the time.  Right now I'm hoping the guy isn't Eddie J Turner and the Kelly MacDonald's character gets the book thrown at her.

Clever writing making the mother so unlikable, hell, the whole family!  Loved the "I'm a policeman" response to the law student daughter in the first episode by John Hannah's character. 

6 hours ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

BBC have been hitting it out the park with their dramas of late

I totally agree.

Not seen The Victim yet but recording it to catch up later. 

The ending of episode 3 has us believing that

Spoiler

Craig Myers' pal Tom is maybe Eddie J Turner, after the private detective woman watches Tom meet his Social Worker in the cafe, after a tip-off.

There's more twists to come though I think, Eddie J Turner might not even be the murderer, or he had an accomplice ? 

It's easy to forget that the story is about whether or not Anna has incited someone to murder another person, it's very easy to just be concerned about unconcovering who Eddie is in this.

Great tv

Great wee series, just binged the first 3 this afternoon.

Lots of brilliant mysteries - who is Eddie, who battered Craig, why is Danny so fucking creepy (not just the character, the actual actor)? The only disappointment for me was how obvious the grave stuff was - saw that coming a mile off.

Looking forward to the conclusion!

Edited by Mark Connolly

On 11/04/2019 at 22:12, Alert Mongoose said:

That was an intense ending. Thought the acting of the main actors was exceptional. 

The last scene under the bridge was really intense.Brilliant acting and a brilliant programme.

On 12/04/2019 at 07:41, WullieBroonIsGod said:

Wow!!!

That last 20 minutes, Harkness and Macdonald were outstanding.  Awards incoming there.

Twists and mystery for 3 episodes, a big reveal and an intense finish.  Highest quality drama.

thought harkness was supurb in this