Alloa v Queens

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Alloa seem to have a habit of stealing points V Queens. According to Naismith anyway.....

Try reading/listening to what the Alloa Manager says too, he concedes that they were fortunate to get full points yesterday and said the same following the last game they won at Palmerston. We came back from 3 goals down to earn a draw in the first game V Alloa at Palmerston with a DOBBIE hat-trick and should have won that game in the end , according to the Alloa Manager then also. The only game we deservedly lost was our previous visit to The Recs when we went down by 2-0.  The Alloa keeper got MoM award yesterday which suggests in itself that we were a bit unfortunate not to get something from the game.   Hard luck stories and what ifs wont help us stay in this division though, turning near misses and half chances into goals and not conceding soft goals is the only thing to give us a chance to survive. 

A change of Manager might have helped but it's too late to go down that route now.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Try reading/listening to what the Alloa Manager says too, he concedes that they were fortunate to get full points yesterday and said the same following the last game they won at Palmerston. We came back from 3 goals down to earn a draw in the first game V Alloa at Palmerston with a DOBBIE hat-trick and should have won that game in the end , according to the Alloa Manager then also. The only game we deservedly lost was our previous visit to The Recs when we went down by 2-0.  The Alloa keeper got MoM award yesterday which suggests in itself that we were a bit unfortunate not to get something from the game.   Hard luck stories and what ifs wont help us stay in this division though, turning near misses and half chances into goals and not conceding soft goals is the only thing to give us a chance to survive. 

A change of Manager might have helped but it's too late to go down that route now.

The 'unlucky' line is wearing bloody thin.

Wisdom tells us the sign of a good side is one which can struggle in matches yet still grind out results.  The same logic must tell us that a side who can match its opponent, yet consistently lose out, must be poor.

I think that's essentially what we are.

36 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Has your board been using Dobbies goals as a way of avoiding investing in the team, or is that team the best you could realistically afford? 

I don't think we're hoarding a fortune away somewhere in the hope that Dobbie will save us from having to spend it.

Our budget will be small because our gates are pretty lousy.  Something similar can be said of Morton and certainly Alloa.  We have the immense advantage over those sides however, of employing Stephen Dobbie.  Yet, it's not enough.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Wisdom tells us the sign of a good side is one which can struggle in matches yet still grind out results.  The same logic must tell us that a side who can match its opponent, yet consistently lose out, must be poor.

I think we've already been through the phase of playing poorly but managing to pick up results, now the reality is setting in.

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Maybe seen more games than you to make a better judgement. 

I don't doubt you've seen more games.

My point was that your memory must be decent if you can go back to when we ground out good results.  Tannadice apart, it's been a long time. 

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There comes a point when missing chances at one end and conceding soft goals at the other ceases to become unlucky and is an indication that you’re not very good. We reached that point a while ago. Can’t remember if I said it on here, but I remember thinking after the first 2 league games that I hope we’re not still “playing well” and not winning in March. Here we are with 3 games to go and it is still happening and, if anything, it has got worse.

I don’t pay much attention to the GN post match podcasts. When we were coasting along in a comfortable mid table position there was some interest in analysing matches and determining what the positives and negatives were.

Sadly, the only thing that matters now is can we get wins. The fact that we have set up in so many games “ not to lose” has been a huge factor in our untimely collapse. Yesterday we were marginally the better side and probably created 5 good chances to Alloa’s 3 but it never felt at any time that we were ever going to be “out of sight” of the opposition. It was a game destined to be a draw or a 1 goal victory for either side based on what I saw.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Scoring a goal from a corner in most cases is a thing of beauty but that is horrific defending and by the looks of it, very much wind assisted

Well done Alloa, same again next week please

Most of last season we played with one striker - admittedly a class one. We had an abysmal home record but a more than decent away one. This season we have played with one striker, a class one, and he has hardly been injured, until now. Yesterday we played with no striker. We didn’t score despite creating more chances and 4 times the shots on target than the opposition (2).  If I were a betting man, I would say we are f***ed.

Just watched the goal again, six times, and  I still can’t fathom out what the three defenders on or around the line were doing. It’s like someone had nailed their feet to the grass.

I thought at the time Jack was culpable but I’m less sure now.  The ball just seemed to swirl about, apparently hypnotising the 11 Queens players who were all in the penalty area at the time.

2 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

Just watched the goal again, six times, and  I still can’t fathom out what the three defenders on or around the line were doing. It’s like someone had nailed their feet to the grass.

I thought at the time Jack was culpable but I’m less sure now.  The ball just seemed to swirl about, apparently hypnotising the 11 Queens players who were all in the penalty area at the time.

Is it Brownlie who actually ducks, just in time to allow the ball safe passage into the net?

23 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

We came back from 3 goals down to earn a draw in the first game V Alloa at Palmerston with a DOBBIE hat-trick and should have won that game in the end , according to the Alloa Manager then also. The only game we deservedly lost was our previous visit to The Recs when we went down by 2-0.  

I don't think that's the case, I recall Goodwin saying he felt we could have won that game even after it went to 3-3 with Flannigan hitting the post and also a penalty claim. Think we'd all feel that was very much 2 points that got away. Would agree that 10 points from QoS flatters us though, although at the same time we haven't taken the amount of points our play probably merited against some other teams. 

15 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

From behind the goals it looked like the ball was hanging in the air then very suddenly blew down towards the goal when the wind caught it. Tricky to defend. That said, hard to have much sympathy for the QoS defence when they had struggled so badly even with simple balls into the box previously. Every corner, free kick and long throw seemed to cause panic. 

26 minutes ago, Waspie said:

That said, hard to have much sympathy for the QoS defence when they had struggled so badly even with simple balls into the box previously. Every corner, free kick and long throw seemed to cause panic. 

This.

We had 3 centre halfs playing and the team doesn't lack height with the likes of Wilson and Dykes to add to that. 

We look frail every time a high ball comes into the box especially from set pieces but also from open play.

I remain convinced that our goalkeeping woes are a big factor in this but the outfield players carry some responsibility too.

20 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

This.

We had 3 centre halfs playing and the team doesn't lack height with the likes of Wilson and Dykes to add to that. 

We look frail every time a high ball comes into the box especially from set pieces but also from open play.

I remain convinced that our goalkeeping woes are a big factor in this but the outfield players carry some responsibility too.

Agree not having a dominant goalkeeper that is willing to come out and gather the ball or take a forward out is a Big problem... 

Archived