Russia

10 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I intend to do the whole thing independently, but the visa application form is asking for the name of the travel company that I'm using.  Watch this space.

I do this ive had to show them my confirmed booking from flight/hotel

You'll need to provide details of where you're staying on the application, although I don't recall having to show confirmation. Be safer to have it I guess, whilst simultaneously ignoring online advice not to book hotels until your visa is sorted. 

Your hotel might be able to provide you an invitation letter if you ask (some might charge, others won't) although if you're doing a multi-city you'll need one from each hotel. 

Visa stuff is a right pain in the arse (and expensive) but it's an amazing place to visit. 

12 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I intend to do the whole thing independently, but the visa application form is asking for the name of the travel company that I'm using.  Watch this space.

Interested to find out how you get on as myself and my missus are hoping to go to Moscow and St. Petersburg, but not until summer 2020.

You can do it independently, just need to show all your bookings and planning. Flights, hotels, etc. You do need to declare all the places you are going as the visa will actually be tied to those places. Not that you are restricted in travelling, but if you are stopped by the police in an oblast you shouldn’t be you could have some hassle.

One way to limit your outlay before the visa is to book hotels on booking.com or similar, that offer free cancellation. Use this, print the bookings and use them for the visa. You can cancel them if you don’t get the visa for free and and can cancel them and pick something that suits you better at a later date. There is no issue in changing hotels.

This leaves the flights the only issue.

Never had any of my Russian visas (all business) declined, but have had a few requests for more money (Russian embassy in Budapest many years ago).

Guest Pampered Adolescent

I worked in St Petersburg from November 2016 through to February 2017. Well, for the visa I was a 'consultant', not a 'worker'.

What @Tight John McVeigh is a tit states worked for myself, however, this was pre novachek, of course. And I wasn't aware of too many issues with UK passport holders/England fans last summer. 

In my view, you certainly do not need a travel country to visit Russia. And, I know @Tight John McVeigh is a tit has visited several times.

Cheers

PA

Hoping to go to Russia for a week next yea. Plan is to fly into Moscow Sapsan train to St Petersburg and fly back from there. 3/4 days in each city.  Anyone used the train? Any recommendations how I should split my time. Should I spent the extra day in Moscow or St P.

We used the sleeper train (Red Arrow). Was an excellent experience and is recommended. 

We were 2 days in each which wasn't really enough. I'd personally spend the extra day in St Petersburg; 3 should be enough for Moscow to see everything you want to. 

Peterhof Palace is highly recommended. 

52 minutes ago, thisal said:

Hoping to go to Russia for a week next yea. Plan is to fly into Moscow Sapsan train to St Petersburg and fly back from there. 3/4 days in each city.  Anyone used the train? Any recommendations how I should split my time. Should I spent the extra day in Moscow or St P.

This is my plan for next year too. A pal who went to Russia a couple of years ago said to spend an extra day in St. Petersburg as 3 days in Moscow is plenty.

1 hour ago, thisal said:

Was in St Petes for 2 days last year and used a company called TJ Travel for sightseeing purposes. I cannot recommend them highly enough and if you are looking for a tour I would give their website a look.  They also do Moscow.

Yes dont opt for 3rd class on the train because its cheap

The hotels I booked wouldn't supply a Tourist Voucher. I used a Russia travel agency (Fortuna Travel - visatoruss.com) to get one for £8.99 and I was specifically asked for this when I went to Edinburgh today to apply for the visa. 5 day turnaround for £103. Double if you need it in 3 days.

The visa asks for all sorts of details on your family and your work.

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

The hotels I booked wouldn't supply a Tourist Voucher. I used a Russia travel agency (Fortuna Travel - visatoruss.com) to get one for £8.99 and I was specifically asked for this when I went to Edinburgh today to apply for the visa. 5 day turnaround for £103. Double if you need it in 3 days.

The visa asks for all sorts of details on your family and your work.

Did the £8.99 cover all the hotel stays or per night?

Did the £8.99 cover all the hotel stays or per night?
You tell the agency your flight details and the hotels where you're staying and they send you what is essentially a spoof certificate for £8.99 all in. It seems to be the way it works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/17/2019 at 16:56, doulikefish said:
On 4/17/2019 at 11:30, thisal said:

Yes dont opt for 3rd class on the train because its cheap

Could you clarify for me please. My intention is to use the Sapsan bullet train and they  only have economy and business class.  The economy still looks good. I take it 3rd class refers to other train lines? 

Also my intention is to travel end of Sept beginning Oct next year weather at that time looks similar to ours would that be right.