Fife vs Mo - 4th Place Fracas

3 hours ago, mo83 said:
3 hours ago, GableEnder21 said:
Great reading comments from other fans appreciating the phenomenal job that SP has done at Links Park. Only a matter of time until he gets knighted Sir Stewart Petrie.

Thinking of a crowd funding page to get the ball rolling,statue in the park at end of the road at Links park would be a fitting tribute to Sp.

No ambition. I want a 100ft monstrosity straddling Wellington St at the entrance to Links Park like the fucking Titan of Bravos.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of a worry is that apart from the win at New Bayview earlier this season the Mo have a shocking recent record against East fife. That plus the trend that we often 'blow' situations like this makes me a bit uneasy. That said, bugger it - lets give it a right good go! If we win, great. If we don't then we gave it a go and anyway we Mo fans are happy with progress so far.

Just a point about SP mentioned earlier. Yes he's done a great job but an enormous amount of credit must go to new Chairman John Crawford and the rest of the Board none of whom chip in with financial support which would get the club into long term financial difficulty. The creation of the Montrose Community Trust who represent the whole of Scotland on the similar European scene (and are on the smaller steering group along with some of the heavyweights such as Barcelona)) was a master stroke with the excellent Links Park facilities including catering being used 7 days a week. Matchday hospitality often overflows into more than one lounge and sometimes to a hotel nearby. The club is buzzing at present but the Board will not over-step the financial aspect - Montrose is still a small town and the football club will 'cut its coat according to its cloth.' SP has done a great job though whereas many others would not have done.

"an enormous amount of credit must go to new Chairman John Crawford and the rest of the Board none of whom chip in with financial support which would get the club into long term financial difficulty. "

Err, shouldn't that read: 

"an enormous amount of credit must go to new Chairman John Crawford and the rest of the Board, all of whom chip in with financial support, without which the club would get into long term financial difficulty. "

Or maybe you meant something else? Are you suggesting that the Board is not contributing financially in a way that would be unsustainable, should that support be withdrawn? I'm thinking of the Gretna debacle following on from Brooks Mileson.

12 hours ago, Brummo said:

"an enormous amount of credit must go to new Chairman John Crawford and the rest of the Board none of whom chip in with financial support which would get the club into long term financial difficulty. "

Err, shouldn't that read: 

"an enormous amount of credit must go to new Chairman John Crawford and the rest of the Board, all of whom chip in with financial support, without which the club would get into long term financial difficulty. "

Or maybe you meant something else? Are you suggesting that the Board is not contributing financially in a way that would be unsustainable, should that support be withdrawn? I'm thinking of the Gretna debacle following on from Brooks Mileson.

What I'm saying is that the Directors won't throw money at it for the sake of it, and thus risk longer term financial instability - as you say, like a Gretna scenario. They will and do put money in the sustain the club I'm sure but only in a sensible way, not as sugar daddies. At present it's a thoroughly sensible set up I think we all agree.

3 minutes ago, MOFOREVER said:

What I'm saying is that the Directors won't throw money at it for the sake of it, and thus risk longer term financial instability - as you say, like a Gretna scenario. They will and do put money in the sustain the club I'm sure but only in a sensible way, not as sugar daddies. At present it's a thoroughly sensible set up I think we all agree.

Thanks for clarifying. I just wondered about your initial post because I do know that directors do put in some financial support. But as we saw with Gretna and more recently with East Stirlingshire, unsustainable investment is often more of a curse than a blessing. 

It is not about having limited ambition but it does mean having carefully managed sustainable growth. 

11 minutes ago, EFFC1938 said:

Any home win will do! Mon the Fife

Any away win will do*! 'Mon the Mo!

*Although a point would be better than nothing.

- coupled with Brechin and Raith wins would raise a smile, just to keep things interesting.

... and a Lamborghini for Christmas.

(Not too bothered about the Lamborghini, if I'm honest.)

6 hours ago, LiamA said:

Wrap up warm today theres a very cold easterly blowing over just now. Beautiful sunshine earlier but cold & overcast now. Typical Saturday weather this season then!

ARCHITECTURE & METEOROLOGY

for

Oriental

Fifers

In New Bayview Park

220px-OMD_-_Architecture_&_Morality.png

Managed to catch the game on EFtv.

Relatively even first half but completely forgettable. You could tell how bad the wind was but we can't ever seen to take advantage of the wind despite playing at one of the windiest stadiums in the country. Second half we had a few half chances but anytime Mo came forward they looked dangerous. Their goals were so easy. Every set piece had my heart in my stomach and they were through 1v1 at least twice and it could have been more, whereas we are completely toothless up front with a real disconnect between the forward(s) and midfield.

No complaints from me. No idea what has happened to this team. You can make the argument that we were playing above ourselves earlier in the season and were in a somewhat false position, but this team is better than what we're seeing. One win in 11 in the league, 13 overall? That's not acceptable. That's not "mid table" team form, that's relegation stuff!

Higgins has not been a good signing. He was very poor today. Aggy looks a shadow of the player he was before the injury. The rest of the lads look knackered and Brett looks short of confidence.

Thankfully, we know these players are better than this, and we have a good core for what looks to be a push for the playoffs...next year.

Wasn't there today, but Montrose mathematically safe now which was surely always our start of season main objective. Getting into a playoff position with 3 games to go is fantastic and SP has to receive huge plaudits for getting so much out of this squad who were not really strengthened all that much over summer (could argue we were weakened).
Excellent result.

Wasn't there today, but Montrose mathematically safe now which was surely always our start of season main objective. Getting into a playoff position with 3 games to go is fantastic and SP has to receive huge plaudits for getting so much out of this squad who were not really strengthened all that much over summer (could argue we were weakened).
Excellent result.
Well done to Montrose. Seeing as we don't want or just can't even be remotely arsed with 4th spot, I'd much rather see you guys take it than Airdrie.

No complaints from me! Another game where we have huffed and puffed and created very little! Thankfully we had that brilliant winning streak midway through the season or we would be looking good for relegation! I'm trying not to be too negative as it's been a decent season but what a dreadful run we're on and we've been poor for weeks! Well done Montrose, safe travels home and enjoy the win (said through gritted teeth) [emoji460]️[emoji482]

8 hours ago, LiamA said:

Wrap up warm today theres a very cold easterly blowing over just now. Beautiful sunshine earlier but cold & overcast now. Typical Saturday weather this season then!

I should have heeded this advice, absolutely Broadwood windtunnel-esque today. 

Another really good win in what is turning out to be an eye-rubbingly awesome season. Methil is a place I usually dread and expect a 3 nil pumping from, no danger of that today.  First half didn't really have much in it - one good save from a firecracker Henderson shot was the only thing the East Fife keeper had to look smart to deal with. The second half saw Montrose having by far the better of it and as much as EF can move the ball well when they want to, they looked like rabbits in the headlights against the aerial stuff as the wind played havoc. Two footballing equivalents of a slower-ball inswinging yorker from corner kicks just dribbled past the post - a third one went in, 1-0 the Mo. We wasted a couple more decent chances before icing the cake right at the death after EF gave the ball away cheaply, not for the first time.

Even if we miss the top 4 from here, this season has been pound for pound almost as impressive as last year. Stenny doing us a favour in the BBC Telefios game keeps Airdrie out of immediate striking distance next week - a game I had down as a must win is now one we might be okay taking a point from. All to play for, but the last three games are tricky and the margins this season have been very finite.

Great job by the players and management today. 

Archived