Fife vs Mo - 4th Place Fracas

So no doubt about it we enter this one in stinking form but I still believe we have the players 1) get us out of this run and 2) get us into fourth. 

I'd far rather us go back to 4-4-2 but we can't really do that till Craigo is back, I think Darren will stick with 3-5-2 and most likely the same as last week:

lineup.png.7fa471a4f1ee7b1bc1a58589dedbdd4e.png

So no doubt about it we enter this one in stinking form but I still believe we have the players 1) get us out of this run and 2) get us into fourth. 
I'd far rather us go back to 4-4-2 but we can't really do that till Craigo is back, I think Darren will stick with 3-5-2 and most likely the same as last week:

As you say we are in stinking form at the moment- our stats show that we are better away from home than home this season!-but I have to say I thought we played well last week- and the week before( except for the last 3 minutes!)

We seem to have a settled team now that helps and would be great if RC is back fit as he is so dangerous coming on as a sub and he may well knick a late goal!

Big Tonks made 2 outstanding passes at the weekend from midfield that shows he could also play attacking midfield if we need to bring on Currie and Court up front to get the winning goal. All ifs and buts- hope we make the top 4( it has been the best season for years and would be the icing on the cake to make the playoffs). Everything crossed for Saturday!

Also as an aside, it was brought up on A View from the Terrace on Friday - is Stewart Petrie the best pound for pound manager in Scotland right now?

There was a bit of humming and hawing from the guys on the sofa, but for me he absolutely is. What a bloody fine job that man has done for Montrose. 

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

I'm sure we played 4-4-2 at Airdrie. Dunsmore RB, Meggatt LB, Watt and Pat wide midfield.

Watson is a big miss. Not only do we miss him on the park but it feels like there's no option but to pull a few more players into positions that aren't neccesarily their strongest to cover for it. I'd probably stick with the same line up as last week. Thought we were the better side and got to give credit to Airdrie for defending well to keep decent chances created at an absolute minimum. Took us a while to get into the game but I'm confident that team can go and win on Saturday. It'll be a tough game. Montrose are a stuffy side and I get the feeling it could well be a 'first goal wins' type of game. Purely what I've seen on them, it feels like Montrose are probably a bit of a nightmare to break down when they're protecting a lead but struggle when they're having to chase the game.

5 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Also as an aside, it was brought up on A View from the Terrace on Friday - is Stewart Petrie the best pound for pound manager in Scotland right now?

There was a bit of humming and hawing from the guys on the sofa, but for me he absolutely is. What a bloody fine job that man has done for Montrose. 

Aye. Very hard to argue with that. I doubt anyone thought Montrose were going to win L2 at the start of last season with the squad they had on paper. They've come up after arguably being weakened and are right in the hunt for the play-offs. Absolutely cracking job Petrie's done and I'd defeinitely be keeping serious tabs on him if I was a bigger club.

Aye. Very hard to argue with that. I doubt anyone thought Montrose were going to win L2 at the start of last season with the squad they had on paper. They've come up after arguably being weakened and are right in the hunt for the play-offs. Absolutely cracking job Petrie's done and I'd defeinitely be keeping serious tabs on him if I was a bigger club.

Think they might have a bigger budget than EF though....

1 minute ago, Its not only a game said:

Think they might have a bigger budget than EF though....

Obhviously got no idea what the budgets of each team in the league is but I'd be seriously, seriously surprised if that was the case.

It's great to see SP getting the praise he deserves. When he took over at Montrose in December 2016 we were rock bottom of league 2. By May 2017 we were in the play offs for promotion losing out to Peterhead.  Last season we obviously won the league and now here we are in touching distance of the play offs again.

It's been an incredible journey since he took over and the supporters are loving it, every step of the way.

If SP is lured away from Links Park he will go with everyones best wishes and gratitude but we hope that's a long way in the future. The journey isn't over yet  

Obhviously got no idea what the budgets of each team in the league is but I'd be seriously, seriously surprised if that was the case.

By the way neither do I. All i know is look at the programme- much more adverts , feels more income coming in,etc. One or two of their directors are successful business people- feels like healthy corporate hospitality done and all credit to them.( and by the way I am not criticising EF board and management who have done a truly excellent job)
Both teams have done exceptionally well, both managers done an excellent job. All i know if Darren gets us into the playoffs after last year , after our start this year - it will be the greatest conversion since Lazarus!

16 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

By the way neither do I. All i know is look at the programme- much more adverts , feels more income coming in,etc. One or two of their directors are successful business people- feels like healthy corporate hospitality done and all credit to them.( and by the way I am not criticising EF board and management who have done a truly excellent job)
Both teams have done exceptionally well, both managers done an excellent job. All i know if Darren gets us into the playoffs after last year , after our start this year - it will be the greatest conversion since Lazarus!

I think what you may also have overlooked is the outstanding work of Montrose Community Trust in making the club feel like a part of the community. 

18 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

I would suspect we have a bigger budget than Montrose. A side doesn't spend more and end up in the bottom league for so long. At least one or two of our directors are successful business people also. At least one posts on this forum! Our hospitality is fantastic also and as far as I can see is sold out most of the time or close to it, although I think Montrose will certainly have benefited this season from the #AngusPound with the amount of derbies they've had, who knows if that money will be used for the playing squad next year. 

I think both clubs run their clubs fantastically well.  No doubt about it.

Right time to stop this love-in, f**k the Mo, 5-0 Fife! 

Edited by Big Fifer

3 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

I would suspect we have a bigger budget than Montrose. A side doesn't spend more and end up in the bottom league for so long. At least one or two of our directors are successful business people also. At least one posts on this forum! Our hospitality is fantastic also and as far as I can see is sold out most of the time or close to it, although I think Montrose will certainly have benefited this season from the #AngusPound with the amount of derbies they've had, who knows if that money will be used for the playing squad next year. 

I think both clubs run their clubs fantastically well.  No doubt about it.

Right time to stop this love-in, f**k the Mo, 5-0 Fife! 

Jees if you mean me don't tell my wife or my fellow directors, they think I'm skint!!! :whistle

Edited by LiamA

1 minute ago, LiamA said:

Jees if you mean me don't tell my wife or my fellow directors, they think I'm skint!!! :whistle

Name of your company on the front of a fitba team shirt? More money than sense in my opinion :P

Great reading comments from other fans appreciating the phenomenal job that SP has done at Links Park. Only a matter of time until he gets knighted Sir Stewart Petrie.
Thinking of a crowd funding page to get the ball rolling,statue in the park at end of the road at Links park would be a fitting tribute to Sp.

4 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Name of your company on the front of a fitba team shirt? More money than sense in my opinion :P

I know someone who spotted the said Director in Broughty Ferry recently, laden with designer bags!!

That qualifies as being loaded to me. 

Edited by Pee Gee