Refs

5 hours ago, AL75 said:

I would agree overall standard is ok i  amateur game, some good some bad and i dont know how they take it for 40 quid.

I think however some of the more well known refs fail to stand up to the bigger teams and also sook up the arse of players from certain teams on social media.

Cringey as f***! Grow a set.

Agreed! It goes both ways, the same teams sook straight back the other way.

21 minutes ago, RPHG said:

Agreed! It goes both ways, the same teams sook straight back the other way.

Definetely missing something here, again can't say I have ever seen this. 

Maybe you could give us some examples of this? Sure your no mis-interpretating a bit if mutual respect here? 

9 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Maybe you could give us some examples of this? Sure your no mis-interpretating a bit if mutual respect here? 

The word is RESPECT for each other. Manager/players need to earn it and same for us Referees we have to earn it from teams/Managers.   

The word is RESPECT for each other. Manager/players need to earn it and same for us Referees we have to earn it from teams/Managers.   
Imo it should be there from the beginning and then its either lost or it grows.

36 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Nah, I can't provide specific examples, I don't believe it serves a massive purpose to bad mouth individuals.

But I can say that a referee who is very well thought of by some on here (and I'm sure he's on keeping his eye on proceedings, which will be lost on no one) I have saw speaking to other teams with anything but respect.

Younger refs should be the way forward. The refereeing standard isnt great but what do we expect? They are on their own with no assistance and get pelters when they maybe miss an offside of a yard or 2. Ive had a go at numerous refs over the years but on reflection its maybe been more a disappointment at my own or my teams performance at that particular time. To make a post slagging off young referees who make it possible for us to play on a saturday for a shabby £40 is a disgrace. I wouldnt do it for treble that amount!

Younger refs should be the way forward. The refereeing standard isnt great but what do we expect? They are on their own with no assistance and get pelters when they maybe miss an offside of a yard or 2. Ive had a go at numerous refs over the years but on reflection its maybe been more a disappointment at my own or my teams performance at that particular time. To make a post slagging off young referees who make it possible for us to play on a saturday for a shabby £40 is a disgrace. I wouldnt do it for treble that amount!
[emoji119][emoji119][emoji119][emoji119]

I play Sundays and see these refs get irrational abuse and threats most games, most the time for following the laws. The problem is idiots running their mouth when they don't actually know the laws of the game, hats off to these guys who turn up during weekends for crap money.

Younger refs, in my experience, are far better in all aspects. They keep up with the play which is key, they genuinely are far more respectable and approachable than the older more experienced ones. I think all us non-refs unanimously agree we would not do it for 40 quid so that speaks volumes. We wouldn't have a game without them and without a doubt there are some howlers out there who make the rules up as they go along! On the whole though the majority try their best 

Maybe you should take up the whistle.  Don’t knock it until you try it. Nothing wrong with a wee bit of banter Garfield the Great

Absolutely Raymond...too many criticise but more than don’t understand the laws (Not rules Garfield) encase you get confused. Sadly refs at amateur for majority are learning their trade, don’t see many apprentices building houses on their own. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Chryston AFC said:

Absolutely Raymond...too many criticise but more than don’t understand the laws (Not rules Garfield) encase you get confused. Sadly refs at amateur for majority are learning their trade, don’t see many apprentices building houses on their own.

Lol..  miss my wee visits to see Sam, John and Billy. Great bunch of guys.  Just fell of my seat.  After all the years I’ve know you guys you finally agree with me.  Knew it would happen one day lol.  So I’m off to my bed.  Need a wee lie down. 

• 4 weeks later...

Younger refs are needed not just for the amateur game, but the junior game and the senior game too. In order to get better referee's into senior football they need to start young, maybe with the youth leagues before going into juniors maybe as an AR or the amateurs to get a taste of reffing adults. The experience, good and bad will shape some and help the ones that stick it out with game management. All refs know the laws, for me the difference in a good/bad ref might be how a game is managed and how they interact with teams.

The progression to senior football is geared heavily toward younger refs. They are moved into junior football to get the experience needed before getting a chance of senior games. If you start reffing at 35, chances you will even get to Junior football is slim (unless you know someone). The assessors wont come watch unless you have a chance of moving through the ranks and starting later means time is against you... the pathway can take years to get an AR run on a SPFL game - so understandably they prioritise younger refs who have the opportunity to get experience.

As many have said before, those who slate refs - pick a whistle up and see how you get on. I seen someone earlier commenting on guessing decisions, well - the truth is that some decisions have to be (to a degree guessed). For example, if the balls punted - well no ref is beating that ball. The ref has to make an offside call from a distance, he has no linesmen to use - to uses best judgement to make a decision on either on or offside. Whichever he goes with, will have an element of guesswork. That is plainly - the long and short of it.

If I can get a referee who can explain the odd decision, who is largely up with play and rather than being too close to the action is getting into positions to see things clearly to make the best call possible - than I would be happy (even if I disagree with some of the decisions). I'd say reffing at amateur level must be the hardest level to do it at... no linesmen, no second opinions, no security, nothing. On your own to any number of places any given weekend, trying to control 2 teams and their sidelines who will at almost every single opportunity try to gain every single small advantage (or cheat) possible. Refs at our level don't have lino's for off the ball stuff, or an AR to have a second look at something from maybe a better angle.

Best of luck to any young refs starting in our game, it isn't easy. 

First and foremost we should have full time referees in this country. The level of training that a top level referee gets is pathetic. Weekly runs round a running a track and the odd classroom lecture is pointless. 

We should be going in to pro youth football and finding players who are all but put on the scrap heap and offering apprenticeships as referees. 5 days a week which would include classroom work, studying games, incidents, the laws of the game etc. Fitness tests and reffing youth games during the week before going in to the big match on a saturday. They should be offered a generous salary and a decent career path with the potential after finishing, of moving in to training referees.  These would be young guys who have played the game and looking for a potential different pathway at 21/22/23 to forge a career for themselves. The young apprentices would start in the amateur, junior and youth games building up to the professional game. They don't need to be paid a huge wage to start and the potential for earning is their if they progress to the top level and become potentially Fifa listed. 

This country could surely employ around 30-40 minimum full time referees on varying salaries increasing like any normal job through service or grading etc.  The professional clubs in this country should burden part of the cost.

This would hopefully then drip feed down to the amateur and junior game with young apprentices learning their trade and also take a cost away from our clubs paying a referee week in week out. Ok there wouldn't be enough but you can still have the element of part time referees and linesman to supplement but it would be a step in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, ekfootball said:

The level of training that a top level referee gets is pathetic. Weekly runs round a running a track and the odd classroom lecture is pointless. 

You make some good points but I disagree with this particular statement. Top level referees are already subject to a hell of a lot of training, fitness or otherwise. From junior level and above referees are probably committing as much time to training and matches as a part time player.

On 08/05/2019 at 16:19, Northboy said:

You make some good points but I disagree with this particular statement. Top level referees are already subject to a hell of a lot of training, fitness or otherwise. From junior level and above referees are probably committing as much time to training and matches as a part time player.

Absolute nonsense. They have occasional fitness tests and go once a week to run round a track. I have seen the top referees in this country train and it is laughable. In regards to finances, you could pay less than we do now but have full time referees(FACT).

I know a top ref in Scotland and he passed the same test that one of his full time English (UEFA) counterparts failed at the start of the season. Full time or not its about application and giving everything you have to be the best at your chosen activity.

23 hours ago, Stucafu said:

I know a top ref in Scotland and he passed the same test that one of his full time English (UEFA) counterparts failed at the start of the season. Full time or not its about application and giving everything you have to be the best at your chosen activity.

I'm not talking about the tests they do every 3-6 months or whatever it is. I am talking about the education and training on a weekly basis that is very poor.