Refs

Shouldn't be young boys refereeing games at Amatuer,  Southern counties or junior football if they've never played the game before and can't take a bit of stick, some of them would get football stopped, utter dross, they waste more games than anything else

Refs get stick every game just about and dont start a thread on p and b to moan about it. Your team get spoken to badly by a ref on Sunday and u start two threads in 24 hours to moan about it. Maybe it's you that " cant take abit of stick"

1 hour ago, Garfield The Great said:

Shouldn't be young boys refereeing games at Amatuer,  Southern counties or junior football if they've never played the game before and can't take a bit of stick, some of them would get football stopped, utter dross, they waste more games than anything else

Maybe you should take up the whistle.  Don’t knock it until you try it. Nothing wrong with a wee bit of banter Garfield the Great

Was your last thread not getting the response you wanted? You have made 2 posts in your P&B career both to start a new post about the same thing. I suggest you have a look at your team before coming on and slating refs. As above said, take up the whistle yourself, see how easy it is.

Refs have got to start somewhere. If they show promise then they are watched. Once the supervisors are onto them then they have no leeway. Clubs and their players must be prepared to keep their own behaviour in check. Up yo four officials in SPFL and they make mistakes.

One young man going solo in games between teams who may hold grudges against each other. They should be certified!

The fact I'm 50+ yrs old I don't play anymore, I've played previously at professional level and worked with professional teams in sports science prior I've seen the change in officiating and it's quite frankly rotten at the minute and at all levels. 
Take it up then see how u go?

The fact I'm 50+ yrs old I don't play anymore, I've played previously at professional level and worked with professional teams in sports science prior I've seen the change in officiating and it's quite frankly rotten at the minute and at all levels. 
I have a background in applied sports science also and someone from our field should be promoting young referees. Fact of the matter is that refereeing along with football is progressing, you make mistakes to learn from them, not to be ridiculed.

I for one am 100% behind young referees, older refs can't / struggle to keep up with play which leads to frustration from players and managers. These young lads are the future of the game so maybe cut them some slack as this is a learning curve for them but if they are getting slated week in week out and Jack where does this leave amateur football???

1 hour ago, quickoverayard said:

I have a background in applied sports science also and someone from our field should be promoting young referees. Fact of the matter is that refereeing along with football is progressing, you make mistakes to learn from them, not to be ridiculed.

I for one am 100% behind young referees, older refs can't / struggle to keep up with play which leads to frustration from players and managers. These young lads are the future of the game so maybe cut them some slack as this is a learning curve for them but if they are getting slated week in week out and Jack where does this leave amateur football???

Excellent post m8. 

Back the younger guys. The game will be better in the long run if more younger guys take to the whistle. Totally agree that they will make mistakes but they will learn. The game is played at a frenetic pace at times so as a minimum they must be able to keep up with play.

Excellent post m8. 
Back the younger guys. The game will be better in the long run if more younger guys take to the whistle. Totally agree that they will make mistakes but they will learn. The game is played at a frenetic pace at times so as a minimum they must be able to keep up with play.
Exactly mate, ive had some horrible refs young and old but what annoyed me personally were they older ones who stood at the halfway line and guessed. Good bad or indifferent the fact is football needs young refs if football is to be sustainable.

3 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

Exactly mate, ive had some horrible refs young and old but what annoyed me personally were they older ones who stood at the halfway line and guessed. Good bad or indifferent the fact is football needs young refs if football is to be sustainable.

Im my experience the older ones have the worst attitudes aswell.

Tbh, I dont think the overall standard of refs in the amateur game is that bad. Yeah you get some real howlers but id say the majority are not bad and there are some really good ones out there.

Treat them with respect and how u would expect to be treated and usually theyll do a decent job.

Good points on attitude and ability of some refs. Some of them are not great.

Some players are not great either. We should remember that. 

I honestly think that some of the players resent a young guy telling them what to do. It cannot be easy for one young official to control 22 players and God knows how many on the sideline.

Respect has to be earned but it is key. 

Edited by justagoalie

10 hours ago, Redondo said:

Im my experience the older ones have the worst attitudes aswell.

Tbh, I dont think the overall standard of refs in the amateur game is that bad. Yeah you get some real howlers but id say the majority are not bad and there are some really good ones out there.

Treat them with respect and how u would expect to be treated and usually theyll do a decent job.

I would agree overall standard is ok i  amateur game, some good some bad and i dont know how they take it for 40 quid.

I think however some of the more well known refs fail to stand up to the bigger teams and also sook up the arse of players from certain teams on social media.

Cringey as f***! Grow a set.

4 minutes ago, AL75 said:

I would agree overall standard is ok i  amateur game, some good some bad and i dont know how they take it for 40 quid.

I think however some of the more well known refs fail to stand up to the bigger teams and also sook up the arse of players from certain teams on social media.

Cringey as f***! Grow a set.

Cant say I have  ever noticed this tbh.

They may have the occassional bit of banter with teams/player. Personally dont think thats a bad thing as I would think as a ref you want to build good relations with the Clubs & players.

Ur not going to be everyones favourite but if you make yourself approachable its surely gonna be beneficial for you as a ref.

What's embarrassing is the abuse that gets thrown about in amateur football. Guys in their 30s with jobs, mortgages and kids of their own having a go and trying to intimidate young refs. Then there's the guys who don't even play and are abusive from the sidelines.