The Battle for 2nd - Edinburgh City vs Clyde

4 hours ago, Jeremy Fisher said:

Clyde go marching on....but just a question, you know, in case we ever go into a penalty shoot out. Has Blair actually ever saved a penalty in a competitive match? 

If you want an answer, then no. 13 penalties (and 4 in a shoot-out this season), no saves.

Edited by David W

Do you genuinely believe that Goodwillie is on form?

I agree he's a fantastic player but to deny he's not playing well (in comparison to what he can do) is sycophantic.

Today, he was as poor as I've seen him but he set up two goals. That's why he should always play and why he's so important to us but he is not playing well.
call me a sycophant if you like , you choose to critise not one other player today
what do you expect the guy to do ? score 4 goals every game tell you what take him out the team see how we get on

call me a sycophant if you like , you choose to critise not one other player today

what do you expect the guy to do ? score 4 goals every game tell you what take him out the team see how we get on

I was responding to a post about Goodwillie. If Goodwillie has a poor game is more noticeable because of his quality and the position he plays.

As for dropping him, I specifically said I wouldn't.

You said Goodwillie should never be criticised. That's sycophancy.

Only a total numpty would claim he is beyond criticism. Absolutely no player is, ever. Even Goodwillie himself knows that he hasn’t been performing to the best of his abilities lately, epitomised today when he very nearly annihilated the corner flag after another mistake.

Fortunately, such is his sheer ability that even when he is below par he still has a deciding influence on games. Nobody is suggesting he should be dropped or released, but a few people need to take the blinkers off and appreciate that he isn’t immune to critique.

The way DGW has played since he has came has came to the club in my opiion had made him immune from critism that was my point. If he came on to the pitch and didn't try a leg yes if he didn't score goals yes by all means have a go

the guy saved the club from oblivion

Steady the f**k on here.

How can we be the moral arbiters of goodwill amd chivalry for self-sacrifice on one hand, and on the other, chastise for a lack of lamb-slaughtering from our international-class striker? There's a fair degree of cake purchasing and then munching going on. 

These millennials. 

Steady the f**k on here.

How can we be the moral arbiters of goodwill amd chivalry for self-sacrifice on one hand, and on the other, chastise for a lack of lamb-slaughtering from our international-class striker? There's a fair degree of cake purchasing and then munching going on. 

These millennials. 

depends on who your pals are [emoji23]

2 hours ago, David W said:

I see the Clyde goals are up on Twitter, think we got our bit of refereeing luck this week :lol:

Slight ‘nudge’ by Goodwillie at the winner ! I said the other day that I didn’t believe for a minute that any refs had it in for us or any other club and that we were due an ‘honest mistake’ or two. Looks like we just got one of them there. 

- rhetorical question
- noun
- a question asked in order to make a point rather than to get an answer
....but you actually know that. Case closed. 

To be honest I was trying to make a wee joke about him fielding the question, little word play, simply that.

13 hours ago, sydney said:

Goodwillie hasn’t been at his best for a few weeks but he’s still head and shoulders above just about every other player in the league. From what was reported last week, I think he might have had some things preying on his mind so we should cut the guy some slack. 

This, this a thousand times Brian.

There are a good few among us who still have their head wedged up an arse, be it their own or that of another. The human condition is the most important thing Danny Lennon, and indeed Norrie Innes in bringing him here, has brought and instilled into the club as much anything tactical or technical. This includes from not berating the keeper for howlers here and there (i've been at the front of that queue myself) nor DG for patchy form to the enormous smiles and attitude displayed by every single person in the team and backroom staff- it looks a terrific thing to be a part of. 

As an aside, when was our last supersub of Ally Love's standing, especially away from home? I make that seven goals on the road- he rarely starts, yet clearly utterly adores playing for us and how DL uses him. He's wur Ally Gunnar-Solksjaer.

12 hours ago, Clyde_1977 said:

Wasn't at the game but sounds (yet again) DL made the right changes at the right time to turn the game.  Not sure how he will address  these "flat starts" but certainly having guys that can come on from the bench to change the game is a luxury we have not had for many a year. 

His game-management frankly is fucking awesome. The flat starts frustrate me like hell too, but i've rarely seen a Clyde manager understand exactly where the opponents gap exists with such precision. There are some managers who are 'lucky'- Lennon is most definitely not in that category, as we're normally steamrolling teams into submission rather than lucky breakaways, which from other teams have been our undoing for the last 10 years. I don't think anything needs addressed at all!