The Battle for 2nd - Edinburgh City vs Clyde

The resilience of this Clyde team is incredible. At 1-0 down and playing shite didn't see us coming back to win.

The first half was an absolute snooze with very few clear cut chances for either side.

We started the second half in a shocking manner and had two chances to clear the ball before giving away the pen. Masterstroke from Lennon two bring on the two subs.

We weren't at the races today but still won against a poor Edinburgh side. Such a pity we fluffed it last week in drawing with Peterhead. Never know what could happen over the last 3 games but this team deserves to at the very least get promoted.

Didn't know Edinburgh City offered a creche service now [emoji1]

How can anyone criticize DGW, must need their head read. 
Goodwillie, like any other player, should not be above criticism. I posted at half time that he was having a nightmare. He didn't improve much after the break either.

However, he had important roles in both goals and I grateful he plays for us and no one else.

I really hope he recaptures the form we know he is capable off before the playoffs. He's obviously lacking confidence.

The resilience of this Clyde team is incredible. At 1-0 down and playing shite didn't see us coming back to win.

The first half was an absolute snooze with very few clear cut chances for either side.

We started the second half in a shocking manner and had two chances to clear the ball before giving away the pen. Masterstroke from Lennon two bring on the two subs.

We weren't at the races today but still won against a poor Edinburgh side. Such a pity we fluffed it last week in drawing with Peterhead. Never know what could happen over the last 3 games but this team deserves to at the very least get promoted.

Didn't know Edinburgh City offered a creche service now [emoji1]
The creche is obviously an inducement to retain their right back at this club[emoji8].

Goodwillie, like any other player, should not be above criticism. I posted at half time that he was having a nightmare. He didn't improve much after the break either.

However, he had important roles in both goals and I grateful he plays for us and no one else.

I really hope he recaptures the form we know he is capable off before the playoffs. He's obviously lacking confidence.
so he was the only one not playing well ?

no he is above critism the guy has earned that saved us from the lowland league and scored or set up vital goals right through his time at the club

return to form? scored twice last week sets up the winner today

wasn't there today but what a fantastic result don't expect anything from the appeal but a bit ironic the gap is now 4 pts as far as I concerned we lost 7 pts that sat we were 16 unbeaten no Way would Elgin have won that match the form they were in if Clyde had been in right frame of mind mind also don't understand why Berwick not thrown their weight behind our appeal as it looks like it will do for them as well and they are completely innocent. also totally agree with cfcuk we have had plenty big names on the way down over the yrs who were not interested but DGW gives his all every game we're lucky to have him if he was scoring 3 every week he wouldn't be with Clyde but his class tells in making openings for others 

Goodwillie hasn’t been at his best for a few weeks but he’s still head and shoulders above just about every other player in the league. From what was reported last week, I think he might have had some things preying on his mind so we should cut the guy some slack. 

Wasn't at the game but sounds (yet again) DL made the right changes at the right time to turn the game.  Not sure how he will address  these "flat starts" but certainly having guys that can come on from the bench to change the game is a luxury we have not had for many a year. 

100%... the very fact we are able to be in the position we are in today is down to David Goodwillie and his contribution since he arrived.

Not to put to fine a point on it.. he saved us from the oblivion of the Lowland league and ultimate disappearance from the game, which I’ve no doubt would have been our ultimate fate.

return to form? scored twice last week sets up the winner today
Do you genuinely believe that Goodwillie is on form?

I agree he's a fantastic player but to deny he's not playing well (in comparison to what he can do) is sycophantic.

Today, he was as poor as I've seen him but he set up two goals. That's why he should always play and why he's so important to us but he is not playing well.

Pretty much a non-event in the first half, the only real highlight being Goodwillie taking a throw-in to himself off the Edinburgh player's back and then nearly setting up a goal. I didn't think they bothered us at all but we didn't take advantage of the control that we had.

The second half started in a comical (i.e. not funny) fashion with both Grant and Lamont giving the ball away and Cuddihy falling over Galbraith for a certain penalty which was converted by a player who will probably get PotY, without ever looking like a footballer. Credit to the Edinburgh manager for sitting a player on top of Grant as that took away a huge part of what we were doing first half.

We struggled to have any real impact trying to get back into the match and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was amazed that Rankin/Lamont survived the cull when we introduced Love/Syvertsen, a fact compounded when Lamont missed an open goal soon after. No doubt that going all out attack against such a dour side worked though and with Balatoni unable to babysit his partner due to Syvertsen's presence, Goodwillie started to find more space. He ended up firing in a shot that was deflected onto the post, and whilst Love messed up the first rebound, he converted the second. Throwing on a fresh Boyle just tipped things further in our favour and the winner came from great selflessness by Goodwillie to set up Syvertsen, albeit I'd not have been surprised if the referee had blown for a foul in the build-up (I'm not saying it was a foul).

Currie didn't react at all well to last week's shambles. The centre halves were generally okay. Grant, bar his role in the goal, had a great game. I actually thought McStay was playing well. Banks, like Love, should only be a substitute. Lamont started well but got worse as the game went on. Rankin had probably his worst game since early in the season, spent the whole game trying ridiculous long balls towards Goodwillie. Goodwillie didn't have a good game but we didn't get players as close to him playing with Banks and Lamont wider; we're much better not playing a winger and having Lamont/Boyle in the space behind. Much improved after the subs.

I have absolutely no fear over playing them in the play-offs. The league table, performances and results all lean in our favour. There's little doubt in my mind that we're the best team in the division and have been for months.