The Battle for 2nd - Edinburgh City vs Clyde

I'm in two minds whether or not to go to this. Our game v Stranraer isn't particularly enticing and will likely be shite, and this game is only 15 minutes on the bus from the house. Would've preferred if Edinburgh hadn't completely fucked it against Cowden last week and they were still within touching distance of the top. Anybody wanting to have a pint a bit closer to the ground should have a look at The Village hotel. Only 10 mins walk from the ground and if you download their app and show them it at the bar you get 3 for 2 on pints. 

Peterhead throwing it away from here would be funny, and City in League 1 would be ideal for me for next season, so come on City.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

2 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Edinburgh City could work away at it for a few years, then realise that Edinburgh isn't really a football city and already has two big teams suffering in Glasgow's shadow. They could then relocate to somewhere like Livingston...........oh, wait a minute

Lose your traditional ground, play at the home of your bitter city rivals, before moving to a new town to general apathy- that's the history of Clyde for the last 30 years surely?

Personally I'd quite like to see Clyde back at Shawfield, greyhound racing is dying on its arse but I don't think it's going to happen- keep buying those Euromillions tickets though Clyde boys.

What about Edinburgh City ? How far could they go ? 

They are currently homeless with a move back to meadowbank now in question.

They have no real fan base and turned many of their own supporters away by signing a paedophile.

They are clearly being funded beyond their means by a sugar daddy this season.

They could go up a few levels then die when the money runs out like Gr£tna or they could just disappear back to the lowland league as looked likely in their first few seasons.

They have shown more ambition in their short SPFL lifespan than an Annan or Elgin but that’s not saying much really and both those clubs are better run and better supported.

What are the potential for both these clubs. 
Id say Clyde easily have the fan base for championship footie. 
What about Edinburgh City ? How far could they go ? 

Clyde are clearly the bigger club but for me as things stand all part time clubs basically have the same ceiling, relegation favourites in the Championship.

City’s stated ambition is to be the best part time team in the country. I’m sure Clyde’s is the same.

Reasonable chance that either or both sides could bankrupt themselves trying to meet that ambition but hey ho, that’s been done before and will be done again I’m sure.

Someone mentioned there’s not room in Edinburgh for a 3rd team but I’m not so sure that’s true now, the population growth here is incredible and you don’t need a massive fan base to sustain a part time side.

30 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Clyde are clearly the bigger club but for me as things stand all part time clubs basically have the same ceiling, relegation favourites in the Championship.

City’s stated ambition is to be the best part time team in the country. I’m sure Clyde’s is the same.

Reasonable chance that either or both sides could bankrupt themselves trying to meet that ambition but hey ho, that’s been done before and will be done again I’m sure.

Someone mentioned there’s not room in Edinburgh for a 3rd team but I’m not so sure that’s true now, the population growth here is incredible and you don’t need a massive fan base to sustain a part time side.

Go Hipster; it's worked in England.  Real ale in the club, vegan crap and barista-standard coffee at the pie stall, lost of guys with beards and top knots, rainbow flags.  Edinburgh, more than anywhere in Scotland, is gagging for a  hipster side.

Edinburgh have done well support wise this season alone especially on social media, I think there is room for an Edinburgh club in the respected lower leagues, getting out this league and having a few good runs in the league or leagues above would be needed but I don’t see why they couldn’t attract more fans, would take time

Go Hipster; it's worked in England.  Real ale in the club, vegan crap and barista-standard coffee at the pie stall, lost of guys with beards and top knots, rainbow flags.  Edinburgh, more than anywhere in Scotland, is gagging for a  hipster side.

There is actually something in this I reckon, not necessarily hipster but definitely *different* to what Hearts and Hibs offer. All for a bit of rainbow flags and decent coffee but it’s sensible haircuts and Tennent’s lager for me.

Edinburgh have done well support wise this season alone especially on social media, I think there is room for an Edinburgh club in the respected lower leagues, getting out this league and having a few good runs in the league or leagues above would be needed but I don’t see why they couldn’t attract more fans, would take time

Fans on social media don’t pay to get in, buy a programme and, even if “hipster”, a skinny latte with a Quorn burger. If a 100 Facebook Friends turned up to do the above? Well that’s a totally different prospect at perhaps £25 a time.

Should caveat everything I’ve said about where City can get to with the pretty obvious point that we need a settled home we can call our own (or at least ours + Edinburgh City Council and the surrounding community).

Lovely day through here with bright blue skies but it’s pretty breezy so expect it to be absolutely f**king gale force down Pilton way, bring your sunglasses and a warm jacket.

3 hours ago, SJP79 said:

I think Cove Rangers can do it if they can make it out of the highland league. Some Aberdeen FC fans pissed off with the stadium move might switch allegiance which would increase the gate. 

Can you discuss this in the Highland League thread, please?

Nobody in here cares about Cove Rangers or Aberdeen.

Thanks for coming.