The Battle for 2nd - Edinburgh City vs Clyde

10 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

So much for nothing to play for. Move up a couple of places and it's 4 or 5 thousand pounds. A fair amount for clubs in this division.

Yeah, but do you think the players give it that much (or any) thought. In many cases, at this time of the season, it's only usually the teams with a title to win or relegation to avoid who put maximum effort in. The exceptions would be maybe a younger player getting a rare opportunity to play or a player who has missed lots of games with injury etc.

1 minute ago, PELE said:

Yeah, but do you think the players give it that much (or any) thought. In many cases, at this time of the season, it's only usually the teams with a title to win or relegation to avoid who put maximum effort in. The exceptions would be maybe a younger player getting a rare opportunity to play or a player who has missed lots of games with injury etc.

I wonder how many players actually know about this, or even give it a thought. Maybe something the board should be saying to the players to help with funds. 

3 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

Regardless of Friday, get them gubbed*, finish 2nd (at least) and keep the momentum going for the playoffs.

*I would absolutely accept a scrappy 90th minute o.g. off of Henderson’s backside to win 1-0.

Or the usual 0-3

There are loads of reasons for Edinburgh City to really push for second place, the figures above are certainly a factor but clearly the biggest motivation should be that I get back from Mexico on the Friday night before the 2nd leg and I’m grumpy enough when jet lagged without having to drag myself to Broadwood to watch our promotion dream die.

Anyway, we’ve been poor since the turn of the year, a mixture of injuries, players losing form and a general regression to the mean. With that in mind and considering Clyde’s excellent run I’d expect Clyde to finish 2nd but as per what I’ve already stated I’d love it to be us.

7 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

There are loads of reasons for Edinburgh City to really push for second place, the figures above are certainly a factor but clearly the biggest motivation should be that I get back from Mexico on the Friday night before the 2nd leg and I’m grumpy enough when jet lagged without having to drag myself to Broadwood to watch our promotion dream die.

Anyway, we’ve been poor since the turn of the year, a mixture of injuries, players losing form and a general regression to the mean. With that in mind and considering Clyde’s excellent run I’d expect Clyde to finish 2nd but as per what I’ve already stated I’d love it to be us.

Last season think Stenny finished miles behind us 22 points over the season but saw us off in the play offs with ease.

Edited by peternapper

3 hours ago, peternapper said:

Last season think Stenny finished miles behind us 22 points over the season but saw us off in the play offs with ease.

It's momentum which gets you through. In 2014, Stirling were honking until March, then went up beating Least Fife. In 2016, QP sneaked in on the final day, gubbed Cowdung then us in the final- that being after we had secured our spot two weeks before. Stenny fitting the narrative last year also.

In the unlikely event of a compromise on Friday, i think we will go on to win the title. Not with ease, but the fixtures we have will command 100% concentration and effort.

Even if not, i think Lennon and his team will be focused on winning every match they play, even if you win your next two to clinch your title. A couple of faces will be worth seeing when hearig the results from Peterhead's meaningless match (or two), thats for sure. 

With the deducted points possibly not coming back to us, a win for us should be enough to consolidate second place given both teams’ run of form. Our attitude of not knowing when we’re beaten will be tough to break down, and last week aside, we don’t often concede many goals. Hopefully we’re more clinical in the final third and make it a comfortable three points.

What’s the best pubs around the ground to catch the Cup Semi Final? Or are we better off doing as said above and drinking in the city centre before getting a bus?

On the game, I think it will be a very scrappy affair, hoping that after his stunning goal at the weekend wee Banks starts. On his day he looks like a good wee player and hopefully we can utilise his qualities.

1-2 Clyde with Goody and Rankin the Clyde Scorers.

What are the potential for both these clubs. 
Id say Clyde easily have the fan base for championship footie. 
What about Edinburgh City ? How far could they go ? 
May as well shut the thread now [emoji23]

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Edinburgh City could work away at it for a few years, then realise that Edinburgh isn't really a football city and already has two big teams suffering in Glasgow's shadow. They could then relocate to somewhere like Livingston...........oh, wait a minute

Or somewhere like Cumbernauld...........oh, wait a minute.