Raith Rovers v Stranraer

Rank Rotten -an unacceptable performance. We want players who are motivated for every game. There is no divine right to win but sheer effort will do it most times . There are not enough

winners in our squad. We need much better for the rest of the season.

12 hours ago, Roath Raver said:

Here are this week's highlights

Lots of very loud booing from the home fans here, every time Stranraer scored.  Sour grapes  or frustration with home team ?

Just saying..., seemed ultra noticable on these highlights.

Rank Rotten -an unacceptable performance. We want players who are motivated for every game. There is no divine right to win but sheer effort will do it most times . There are not enough
winners in our squad. We need much better for the rest of the season.

Unfortunately this lot gave up the ghost long ago. The sensitive wee souls can’t take a bollocking from the manager. We must be the most progressive squad in the league. I’ll assume they went to their safe spaces after the game. The boo’s must have been deafening. The club mantra must be “winning isn’t everything”

Thirty five year old league monkey off our back. Raith looked dangerous going forward but defending was poor like ourselves! I got the impression in the second half they were quite happy to get the single point when they should have been running Stranraer ragged with their full time training advantage. 

A well known hefty loss, increased medical bills, we’ll probably see a reduction in season ticket sales, continued shite away crowds...I’m actually a bit concerned exactly what kind of team McGlynn can put together on a budget of 50p and a Mars bar.

A well known hefty loss, increased medical bills, we’ll probably see a reduction in season ticket sales, continued shite away crowds...I’m actually a bit concerned exactly what kind of team McGlynn can put together on a budget of 50p and a Mars bar.

You think you get poor away supports. Sometimes at Stranraer home games we get about 5 away fans. Must say I was impressed with the pies yesterday at Starks park thought both the steak pies and normal scotch pies were cracking.

Not read the thread since the game finished, but I can probably guess how it’s gone. I’ve not been at a game since February but the apathy now in the stand is palpable. I’d say more than 50% of the fans didn’t even get up when we scored our goals.

Our issues are mostly down to having so many players out injured, and you can say that’s an excuse as much as you want but it’s an absolute fact. The guys who are back up simply aren’t good enough, and we’ve got too many wee shyster arseholes on loan who looks like they could not give a f**k. How many times do we get young players on loan who have come through a large youth system who have undoubted talent but cannot and will not show an ounce of desire? Genuinely almost every one. How many of those who finished the game yesterday would get in this season’s best XI? 3 or 4?

Lyness looks a real worry. Kicking was terrible and completely at fault for the equaliser. Crane has been shite for months. Murray very obviously carrying an injury. Flanagan and Barjonas both starting to push towards Jordan Thompson levels of pea-heartedness. Taking Buchanan off was the wrong move, he was having a good game holding the ball up and linking up. Could see how frustrated he was coming off, with good reason.

End of the season now in sight, I think we all know how the play offs will go. For next year I’d be binning almost everyone. I’d be looking to keep Nisbet, Vaughan, Gilliespie and Murray. I know Flanagan is under contract but I’d happily pay his bus fare to whichever League 2 club fancies him.

This league is really sapping the enjoyment of going to the football. No away fans, far less home fans, no atmosphere - as much as the young boys give it a good go. Used to really look forward to Saturday’s but if my mate had said to me, “let’s just stay in the Penny” before the game I’d have been hard pushed to say no.

31 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Not read the thread since the game finished, but I can probably guess how it’s gone. I’ve not been at a game since February but the apathy now in the stand is palpable. I’d say more than 50% of the fans didn’t even get up when we scored our goals.

Our issues are mostly down to having so many players out injured, and you can say that’s an excuse as much as you want but it’s an absolute fact. The guys who are back up simply aren’t good enough, and we’ve got too many wee shyster arseholes on loan who looks like they could not give a f**k. How many times do we get young players on loan who have come through a large youth system who have undoubted talent but cannot and will not show an ounce of desire? Genuinely almost every one. How many of those who finished the game yesterday would get in this season’s best XI? 3 or 4?

Lyness looks a real worry. Kicking was terrible and completely at fault for the equaliser. Crane has been shite for months. Murray very obviously carrying an injury. Flanagan and Barjonas both starting to push towards Jordan Thompson levels of pea-heartedness. Taking Buchanan off was the wrong move, he was having a good game holding the ball up and linking up. Could see how frustrated he was coming off, with good reason.

End of the season now in sight, I think we all know how the play offs will go. For next year I’d be binning almost everyone. I’d be looking to keep Nisbet, Vaughan, Gilliespie and Murray. I know Flanagan is under contract but I’d happily pay his bus fare to whichever League 2 club fancies him.

This league is really sapping the enjoyment of going to the football. No away fans, far less home fans, no atmosphere - as much as the young boys give it a good go. Used to really look forward to Saturday’s but if my mate had said to me, “let’s just stay in the Penny” before the game I’d have been hard pushed to say no.

Injuries is a excuse, Stranraer have lost 25% of their players since start of season, Three first team starters out for rest of season, plus others on recovery list with probably smallest pool in league, have had a lot of defeats but never moaned about injuries when beaten.

Edited by thomas 62

It’s too easy to point the finger at John Mcglynn he may have got some decisions wrong but no one knows the constraints he’s had to work under but he isn’t totally to blame for the situation we find ourselves in. We have a board who have made one bad decision after another.

Appointing Gary Locke As manager

loaning Lewis Vaughan out to a rival

David Bates given to rangers in part exchange for 2 dud teenagers and no sell on clause on a future Scotland internationalist 

Allowing John Hughes to  publically slate the team week in week out to the detriment of team morale/confidence leading to relegation

appointing Barry Smith as manager then giving him another year even though Smith himself admitted the remit was promotion 

Replacing the grass pitch for an artificial surface financially is a good idea however this should have been installed if and only if we ended back in the championship as someone else has eluded to you must get the product right on the park first .

Last but not least Eric Drysdale who appeared to be the main man for nearly every bad decision made by the club and made no secret that it was all the fans fault interesting though he was CEO with the Rovers a team relegated now with Dundee a team verging on relegation a coincidence maybe?

This season has been a disaster for so many reasons  however I still believe John Mcglynn will turn 

52 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Really sums it up nicely. It's hard to see how we move forwards as a club. I try to make as many games as possible, but it's getting to a point where the quality is so poor. The players have sorely let down the manager a lot this season. We've seen it time and time again in games which we've needed to win. Forfar away twice, Brechin away last time out, Montrose away, East Fife away first time and yesterday were all days where we've meekly surrendered leads after showing plenty of chances.

We've nobody in the midfield who can take the ball and get things going. Everyone saw in January that we needed a right back but we've rotated between Gillespie and Murray, both decent players who look completely lost out wide. 

McGlynn's renowned for being stubborn, and yesterday there was a perfect example when he hooked Buchanan when Flanagan was having a shocker. At one point, we fired the ball out to the right wing four times in a row, and each time it went out for a throw in. Buchanan got hooked, everyone gets bemused, and then Flanagan got injured. Aside from that, Barjonas doesn't have the attitude or ability which Regan Hendry possesses. In a couple of years, he'll be descending down the leagues like others before him. Crane has been a disappointment, and you've got to wonder how much of his ability was helped by Goodwin last season (who looks to have a bit of a midas touch for getting the best out of players). 

A clear out is on the books for certain. I'd love for us to look through our league and league 2 and hope that we've got our eye on some talented players but it always seems to be the case they completely pass us by.  The likes of Turner for Stranraer would be someone I'd love to see us bring in, but he'll be off to a club at least one tier up next season. But we'll inevitably have another budget cut in the Summer with a poorer squad in a league where we're pretty much got to pray it's Queen of the South joining us and Dobbie deciding to call it a day. 

We've got too many players who'll turn up one week, and then go missing or have a shocker for the next three. It doesn't help we've had the most ridiculous injury crisis over the last two years. It's bad enough to have one player have something like an ACL injury or ruptured Achilles, but to get three is ridiculous, and the situation is made worse than we've had players out with wear and tear across the board. I'd be happy to see us keep Vaughan and Nisbet, and we've got some already tied up like Murray and Benedictus but we need to get the rest out. I'd expect Davidson will retire as he's consistently having issues with his back, which will likely be a bit of a blessing. You'd hope we've got release clauses in contracts in the event that we're not promoted. 

It's really hard to see the direction the board want us to go in. They'll offer up very little money for the playing squad while trying to balance the books but will continually look at ways we can improve the stadium. There's been a raft of great initiatives at the club recently which I've highlighted before (the matchday app, the roary club, better social media, Raith TV offering commentary at away days in their own time with video footage for those outside the UK, the lads up the back trying to create an atmosphere) but it's let down by the product being total dross.  

In all honesty, I'd be quite happy if they regionalised the leagues in Scotland moving forward. There was 37 away fans yesterday which hardly helps the situation but you can't blame Stranraer as a club (you'd be lucky if we take 100 down there) when they've got trips like this every other week.  Financially, we're in an utterly horrid situation and it's hard to see what we'll do to move forward. 

1 hour ago, thomas 62 said:

Injuries is a excuse, Stranraer have lost 25% of their players since start of season, Three first team starters out for rest of season, plus others on recovery list with probably smallest pool in league, have had a lot of defeats but never moaned about injuries when beaten.

Yes but the expectation of the Rovers is slightly different to Stranraer. No disrespect intended.

Our three best players this season have been Kevin Nisbet, Regan Hendry and Lewis Vaughan.

Of those, Hendry managed four appearances before having his season ended, and Vaughan 11.

Are you suggesting that Stranraer would have as many points as they currently do if Innes Cameron and Kyle Turner had only managed 15 appearances between them?

29 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Remember when Bates was on the verge of his move to Hamburg and Eric Drysdale was tweeting along the lines of the club benefitting? 

What was that about? Did he mistakenly assume that we'd get a pay-day? 

Pretty much my take on it. He tried to claim we'd be getting a payday as a result of that move even though we'd have got that money if he'd gone as part of any transfer or move for Bates.  It was completely separate to any sell on fee or deal with his move from us to Rangers, and is all down to UEFA's stance on how long a player has trained or been developed by clubs in the past. But then again, it's not surprising given he was an SPFL board member who didn't know the rules regarding goalkeepers. 

I don't think I've seen one person in lower league Scottish football manage to f**k up one club so horrendously with the decisions made.