Times when you've excelled yourself.

I excel-led myself by making a spreadsheet of all the grounds I've visited. Sad but true. 
I don't suppose PB you attended the LA games and actually saw the black monolith that was later bought by Edinburgh Council to take pride of place at Meadowbank Stadium for 30 years before being knocked down recently.. 
5caa877c28340_themonoltih.jpg.789b6099d7f788bb83d836b6db716516.jpg

Remember going there as a very young raith fan and being mesmerised by the fact they had that.

"Give me one moment in time when I'm more than I thought I could be, When all of my dreams are a heartbeat away and the answers are all up to me"   Not my words P & B but the words of now dead singer Whitney Houston.    I remember the 1984 games in San Francisco more than any other games because I'd taken the whole summer off to decorate my first detached home, but I turned lazy, ended up drinking copious amounts of lager and employed a painter/decorator.   His name was Stephen and he drove a red Ford Orion with a wind-down sunroof.        
But there was something about this song which chimed to me.   It encapsulates qualities held dear to me:  Achievment; self-determination; and in particular one-upmanship.    With this in mind in the fall of 1984 I applied for a full membership of Gleneagles as I aspired to become a better golfer, a more wholesome member of society and a better person.     

Sadly for Whitney she's had all her moments and we can be absolutely certain she won't have any more, but I got me thinking about the times when I was chuffed to buggery with my conduct.    These are my top 3:

1:   1991:  I'm playing my first club championship final.   I'm 7 down after 22 holes; then I play the last 14  holes in eight under par ( -8 ) to win the club championship.    Other guy was a decent gent  so felt genuinely deflated for him but even more delight for myself.   

2.   2008:  I've received a parking ticket in a small vennel in Edinburgh called Hamilton Folly Mews.    I'd parked my Lexus on double yellow lines, walked through the electric gates to visit my mate David,  I clocked a cherubic parking attendant arrive on a motorised bike and walked back towards my car.     I was speaking to him face to face but I couldn't get buzzed back though the electric gates.    My mate David ( we're no longer friends) finally buzzed me out but I'd been ticketed.    But as a regular reciprocant of parking tickets ( can afford it: 5-figure income)  I knew he had to photograph the incident.    So I took the camera off him, entered the Lexus and drove away.    I carefully placed the camera down on the pavement a 100 yards down the street.    I knew there would be repercussions so when the ticket came through the post I concocted a story about how I'd tried to drive into the street and the electric gates failed, I'd tried to open them and got trapped inside.   I received a full apology from the company and the attendant even though I was absolutely in the wrong.    

3.   2016:   Some people chase paedophiles out of communities.    I live in salubrious rural dwellings which are statistically more likely to vote Tory yet bizarrely less likely to house paedophiles so my best work came in flushing out the jigsaw crunching enthusiast called 'StandFree03' from this webbing page.     The black sheep of Perthshire always claimed to have powers to ban others on request.    Even 3 years down the line I have a rye smile every time I log in.    I had the last laugh.    I won.   

As always I throw the thread ( catch ) to the fine residents of Pie and Bovril.    What do you describe as the moment where you absolutely excelled yourself?    Could be pulling a 40 year old stunner at the discotheque?   Could be your best sporting achievement?   Could be something work related?      

Not sure if this was intended but this post is laced with partridge.

As I know you’re a fan I hope you’ll take this as a compliment.

Best sporting one was two saves at 5s that i had absolutely no right to get to, dived and turned the 1st one over the bar and the second one i managed to dive across and stop it with one hand, right on the line and hold onto it.

7 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure if this was intended but this post is laced with partridge.

As I know you’re a fan I hope you’ll take this as a compliment.

Any post etched in the style of Alan Gordon Partridge is a good thing.    Trouble is AGP style postings means you can imply things that you don't actually mean.    I've been a member of P and Bov for 13 years and I've had 1 ban from @Cardinal Richelieu for a Partridge quote about the types of cars woman and homosexuals drive.     

Thanks for the compliment sir, and for your fine postings.  

Archived