Ian Blackford MP

RubixPubes

3 hours ago, LordHawHaw said:

Not sure he did anything illegal but against "the rules" I would suggest that although he is a poster child for tightening the rules by right of his chronic stupidity ( one of the worse attenders at house of commons , but highest expense claims £250 k) he is by no means the worse.

There is too much gray area around MPs and being paid for "work" outside parliament,  I have no idea what Ian Blackford does that merits 3k a month,  or Tories like Na***** Zahawi earning £30 k a month from a oil company for 8 to 21 hours a week, shame he "lost" that job when he failed to get the department for energy.

"Cash for questions" without declaring an interest is straightforward corruption imo, and should be a criminal offense. I realise there would be lots of borderline cases that would be hard to prove and link directly, but Paisley was so fucking blatant.

4 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Ian '6 jobs' Blackford, that takes some juggling I bet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/politics/795358/scottish-mp-fifth-job-politics-london-parliament/amp

Employs his step son as well. Something he couldn't do in Hollyrood.

One of them is with a Think Tank which you could not in any way consider that a job considering he is not paid.

As for the others these are mainly limited hours in a year and it's hardly surprising that a man with his financial acumen would be invited onto boards.

I am 100% positive that because of his politics and his firm belief in Scottish Independence he is absolutely shunned by the vast majority of the London based financial institutions.

God luck to Ian Blackford, as for me along with many Scots I find he does a fine job in standing up for Scotland.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

"Cash for questions" without declaring an interest is straightforward corruption imo, and should be a criminal offense. I realise there would be lots of borderline cases that would be hard to prove and link directly, but Paisley was so fucking blatant.

Yet Paisley is still a honourable friend.

The principles used in public life were originated because of the cash for questions scandal in the mid 90's

I mention Cameron thought lobbying would be the next big scandal in politics said he was going to tackle it, has been told he'll need to wait until July this year before he can start lobbying on behalf of the various companies he has a commercial deal with

5 hours ago, LordHawHaw said:

Not sure he did anything illegal but against "the rules" I would suggest that although he is a poster child for tightening the rules by right of his chronic stupidity ( one of the worse attenders at house of commons , but highest expense claims £250 k) he is by no means the worse.

There is too much gray area around MPs and being paid for "work" outside parliament,  I have no idea what Ian Blackford does that merits 3k a month,  or Tories like Na***** Zahawi earning £30 k a month from a oil company for 8 to 21 hours a week, shame he "lost" that job when he failed to get the department for energy.

Head so deep in the trough, the world would never hear him say... "Oink..".

59 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

So basically the leader of the SNP in Westminster is just as money grabbing as the rest of those b*****ds. Different clothing same morals.

So you agree that Westminster is a parliament of money grabbers?

Geez, we should probably go our seperate ways in that case, before we're robbed blind.

I have no problems with MPs making extra money away from Westminster so long as it doesn't interfere with what their job as an MP. I don't really get bogged down in what anyone makes in any line of work.

If my MP was doing another job which was keeping them from doing their job, then aye, I'd have an issue with that. Outside of that, I don't see much reason to care.

59 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

I have no problems with MPs making extra money away from Westminster so long as it doesn't interfere with what their job as an MP. I don't really get bogged down in what anyone makes in any line of work.

If my MP was doing another job which was keeping them from doing their job, then aye, I'd have an issue with that. Outside of that, I don't see much reason to care.

There is evidence the highest earning MPs, outwith their wages,  in Westminster contribute less in debates and submit considerably less questions.  I dont know the quality of their participation.

If Douglas Ross was my MP and it looked like universal credit was heading my way I'd want him to be involved in that debate rather than being a linesman in Portugal or wherever it was. Did not even need to put in for a holiday or  unpaid leave of absence like most of us would need to. 

Edited by LordHawHaw

7 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Aye. That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. If another job is getting in the way of them serving their constituents then I see a problem there. If not, I don't.

I think it formed part of the  evidence in the current Proposed Restriction of Outside Remuneration etc. of MSPs Bill 

I should have put the study for you to make your own mind up, I cannot find the original data, and it's not that current, but in my opinion still valid,

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/10/mps-with-highest-outside-earnings-are-less-active-in-parliament-study-finds

23 minutes ago, LordHawHaw said:

There is evidence the highest earning MPs, outwith their wages,  in Westminster contribute less in debates and submit considerably less questions.  I dont know the quality of their participation.

If Douglas Ross was my MP and it looked like universal credit was heading my way I'd want him to be involved in that debate rather than being a linesman in Portugal or wherever it was. Did not even need to put in for a holiday or  unpaid leave of absence like most of us would need to. 

I wouldn't want him anywhere near a debate or a vote regarding UC tbh.

3 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

So basically the leader of the SNP in Westminster is just as money grabbing as the rest of those b*****ds. Different clothing same morals.

The fact that britnat rags and britnat roasters are even seeking to make political gain out of this shows pure desperation.

Ian Blackford has not broken any parlaimemtary rules or laws. He is in a minority of SNP mp's with subsidiary incomes. He has never sought to use his parlaimentary position to benefit himself.

Now lets put it in perspective.

The trougherdom that has went on /does go on within the British establishment tory/liebour parties is endemic. And....has been for decades!! 

People ain't daft. The majority will suss this out for the hypocrisy it is.

4 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

This is a nothing story and Blackford hasn't been nearly as bad a Westminster leader as I had feared he'd be, but financial capitalism is bad imo and in an ideal world a left wing party would not be led at Westminster by a former investment banker - second job or no second job.

There is no left wing party led by an investment banker so no need to worry.