Ian Blackford MP

RubixPubes

2 hours ago, sophia said:

Is it not obvious to you?

Would you really expect someone who has life long investments to suddenly remove themselves from whatever arena they are in for a relatively brief period of time of public service that may last 5 years or perhaps even shorter?

What a strange thing to be fixated upon.

There's potentially multiple Tory MPs who are advancing the harshest possible Brexit so they can maximise their investments. That's probably why people are fixated upon people with a selfish monetary agenda entering politics and getting control of the levers of the economy.

I have no real problem with MPs retaining an interest in companies that they had worked for/built up prior to taking office.  (albeit I'd expect them to spend much less time there).  I do object to MPs taking on additional roles (NEDs, "consultancy" roles etc) simply because they've become an MP.  That, to me, smacks of potential conflicts of interest straight away. Plenty time after they've left office to do that kind of work.

12 hours ago, LordHawHaw said:

I  don't agree that our MPs should be allowed to be taking,  what ordinary people consider fortunes, 

A bill is going through the Scottish parliament currently, in fact the consultation period has just finished which puts much more controls in place as regards outside remuneration of MSPs.  My opinion is we should go further, the absurdity of nothing happening to the DUP MPs for jaunts to Israel and Sri Lanka shows up imo the corruption of Westminster

Who are these ordinary people and what would they regard as a fortune?

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Where they conflict, or give the appearance of conflicting, with their role as an MP, yes I do expect them to cease other employment.

I know you are making a general point, which i generally agree with the principle of, but in this particular case i don't think such a charge can be levelled at Blackford.

His members interest register has him working just over 30 hours a year for GC, which for me in no way inhibits his ability to be a full time MP. Any other conflict that is being alleged is completely politically motivated by the mail, and I hope as clearly a bright lad you would be able to see that.

Edited by Londonwell

I don't understand why Paisley isn't in jail after twice being caught lobbying for foreign governments in the Commons in exchange for undeclared luxury family holidays. Thought they'd tightened up the rules after the expenses scandal. I guess supply and confidence confers certain benefits.

Personally I'd make the role of MP a full time position (which it should be anyway) and where no other employment is permitted to be held while you are in office.

The standard MP salary is £80k p/a with expenses on top and of course additional remuneration for serving on select committees.

Would this "chase" people away ??

I don't think so, this is an excellent salary for about 95% of the population so this argument about "not being able to attract the best people" just doesn't hold any water.

Apart from that, these  so called "best people" have overseen, and in fact in many cases caused, the destruction of businesses up and down the country but yet somehow manage to keep popping up smelling of roses.

I think we can all do without them.............

25 minutes ago, sophia said:

Who are these ordinary people and what would they regard as a fortune?

Not sure you pointed out where I said MPs should cease other activities.

Ian Paisley took free family holidays worth certainly £50 k and likely up to £100k from the Sri Lankan government , I consider that a fortune for a couple of holidays. He later wrote to Cameron to lobby against a UN resolution against Sri Lanka. Ian Paisley is not only a current member of Parliament,  he's feted by our government 

Edited by LordHawHaw
I've not mentioned other holidays he took at no expense

8 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

He's raised the idea of having zero capital gains tax in Scotland. I would say that, regardless of his intentions there, it gives the appearance that his personal financial interests outside of his MP salary colour his politics.

Edit: Still voting SNP like, just think the mail story while not being particularly effective on its own does raise points of interest.

The last time I can remember Blackford calling for that was before IndyRef 1, i'm not sure he has since being an elected rep but perhaps you can correct me?

Anyway, Blackford believes or certainly believed that making Scotland a magnet for business interests with such measures would be of benefit to the country post independence. Now you can debate the rights and wrongs of that, but that is where he was politically. I'm not sure why he should drop those beliefs, it is his right to have them.  

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

The last time I can remember Blackford calling for that was before IndyRef 1, i'm not sure he has since being an elected rep but perhaps you can correct me?

Anyway, Blackford believes or certainly believed that making Scotland a magnet for business interests with such measures would be of benefit to the country post independence. Now you can debate the rights and wrongs of that, but that is where he was politically. I'm not sure why he should drop those beliefs, it is his right to have them.  

I'm not sure how having zero CGT would in any way benefit the population. It would certainly benefit the wealthy and sounds more like an idea straight out of the ERG book of screwing over the punter..........

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I'm not sure how having zero CGT would in any way benefit the population. It would certainly benefit the wealthy and sounds more like an idea straight out of the ERG book of screwing over the punter..........

You would need to point out to me at which point that I said it would?

5 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

You would need to point out to me at which point that I said it would?

I'm not saying you did, I was merely replying to the post on Blackford apparently raising the idea of zero CGT and why I, as an SNP member, think that would be a ludicrous idea.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'm not saying you did, I was merely replying to the post on Blackford apparently raising the idea of zero CGT and why I, as an SNP member, think that would be a ludicrous idea.

Without being an expert on such things, it wouldn't be my go to economic policy either. I suppose luckily enough for us there isn't very much (perhaps any) wider support for it in the SNP. That is if Blackford still believes such- there's been a hell of a lot of water under the bridge since i remember him ever mentioning such a thing.

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Without being an expert on such things, it wouldn't be my go to economic policy either. I suppose luckily enough for us there isn't very much (perhaps any) wider support for it in the SNP. That is if Blackford still believes such- there's been a hell of a lot of water under the bridge since i remember him ever mentioning such a thing.

Yes, totally agree. The SNP are obviously centre left in today's terms and have taken most of the traditional Labour vote and as you say the reduction / abolition of CGT wouldn't sit very well with the majority, especially with our public services and councils struggling.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I don't understand why Paisley isn't in jail after twice being caught lobbying for foreign governments in the Commons in exchange for undeclared luxury family holidays. Thought they'd tightened up the rules after the expenses scandal. I guess supply and confidence confers certain benefits.

Not sure he did anything illegal but against "the rules" I would suggest that although he is a poster child for tightening the rules by right of his chronic stupidity ( one of the worse attenders at house of commons , but highest expense claims £250 k) he is by no means the worse.

There is too much gray area around MPs and being paid for "work" outside parliament,  I have no idea what Ian Blackford does that merits 3k a month,  or Tories like Na***** Zahawi earning £30 k a month from a oil company for 8 to 21 hours a week, shame he "lost" that job when he failed to get the department for energy.

Edited by LordHawHaw
Lol D H I M not allowed

Are they "jobs" or figurehead positions for the company that employs MPs? Clearly they don't work 9-5 so their input is minimal. The amount paid, obscene as it usually is, must be worth it for the company or it wouldn't do it. Of course it is a "business deal" to open doors for the company. Is it illegal? No. Does it cast the politician in a poor light? Probably