Morton v. Alloa, Tues. 9th April

9 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

All the best to our hillfits conquerors. 

Hands across the Forth Valley :wub:

Not sure if this counts as 'bargaining' or 'acceptance' tbh. 

Either way, get fucking doon. 

IMG_1553366276.483723.thumb.jpg.2f753b3cc4e08673e19c5b870deb6d3f.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

How would the rest of the team line up if we're going with a back four? 

I would be tempted to play 4-3-3 with the young lad O'Connell out wide. Alloa will sit in and we could stretch them at the back.

Don't see it happening though, and we won't change from previous formations. 

12 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I think JJ is loathe to play a back four as he doesn't trust Tumilty and Iredale as fullbacks in a four man defence, so I'd imagine we will see the usual formation again.

Whichever formation we play I have no confidence that we will have the shape in midfield or ability to stop Alloa's counter attacking style.

He also doesn't trust our centre backs in a back 4. 

It's been a big issue for us. We're essentially playing a man down in the rest of the pitch because we use 5 players to do the job of 4. But on the other hand it's got to the point that I don't actually know how we would effectively organise the rest of the team if we were to play with a back 4. Maybe 4-1-3-2 would work best. We've struggled to make a front 3 work. 

1 minute ago, Colkitto said:

I would be tempted to play 4-3-3 with the young lad O'Connell out wide. Alloa will sit in and we could stretch them at the back.

Don't see it happening though, and we won't change from previous formations. 

My concern is that Kiltie is usually ineffective out wide, and he's probably the most likely to make something happen up there. So I think a front 2 is the best option. Maybe a 4-4-2 with O'Connell and Telfer in the wide positions could work. 

Just now, SpoonTon said:

My concern is that Kiltie is usually ineffective out wide, and he's probably the most likely to make something happen up there. So I think a front 2 is the best option. Maybe a 4-4-2 with O'Connell and Telfer in the wide positions could work. 

Yip, would go with that too.

Telfer isn't a wide midfielder and won't even have the legs to perform that role after the recent run of games. I don't think the issue here is a lack of trust in individual players as much as TTGJ being fixated with his new favourite formation. While 3-5-2 is our best option when we have everyone available to play, it is causing its own problems right now because we don't have all the key players required to make that system function.

We also need to think about freshening up the side anyway as fitness levels were visibly flagging in the closing stages of Saturday's game. Contrary to the myth about  part timers struggling off the back of their day jobs down a coal mine or wherever, I can see Alloa looking fitter than us this evening unless we rotate our starting line-up for a change. Millar for example cannot be expected to play four full games in ten days at this stage in his career. With us having a free Saturday coming up I can see TTGJ taking the risk but we are practically asking for a tired display and further injuries right now.

21 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Yip, would go with that too.

I'd rather have a midfield diamond, with Kiltie playing behind two assorted jobbers up front, McAlister at its base with Lyon and Dykes (yes, really) starting in the centre. There's no logic to playing a system with two wide midfielders when you barely have one credible option there in the entire squad. 

Millar and Telfer look absolutely knackered. but you could maybe bring one of them on for Dykes if the game is still tight in the final half hour. 

55 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'd rather have a midfield diamond, with Kiltie playing behind two assorted jobbers up front, McAlister at its base with Lyon and Dykes (yes, really) starting in the centre. There's no logic to playing a system with two wide midfielders when you barely have one credible option there in the entire squad. 

Millar and Telfer look absolutely knackered. but you could maybe bring one of them on for Dykes if the game is still tight in the final half hour. 

Wouldn't be adverse to that either. Good point on Millar as he has had quite a few games recently. Maybe rest him tonight and bring in Dykes 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Agree. Either that or a straightforward 4-5-1 with the boy O’Connell getting a start wide. McAlister should start in the middle along with Lyon and maybe Dykes; Millar should start on the bench and maybe give us a half hour at the sharp end.

Not getting this whole aversion to a back four thing. It’s one of the most straightforward things at any level of football to ask both full-backs to start the game conservatively, then get one or other forward as the opportunity presents itself. I think both Iredale and Tumility can and should actually be more effective doing that with a midfield player in front of them, rather than having to do it all wide by themselves.

Anyway, if we can’t step up and win this... well, God help us.

Archived