Ayr v Queens

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Ironically the goal came after we'd more or less weathered the storm and Ayr had run out of ideas. It's probably a penalty. It's one of those where the defender goes to clear the ball and the attacker runs across him just as he goes to clear it and he probably hits player before ball. I didn't think it was a free kick for handball in the build up to the penalty incident though. That looked incredibly harsh on a live viewing.

Yep, stand by all of that from Ayr's highlights. It's never a handball free kick. It's hit at Todd from about a yard or so away and he doesn't move his arm. The assistant is standing about 4 yards away on the side of the arm and gives nothing. Greg Aitken from the "wrong side" of the incident gives the free kick.

It IS however a penalty. Todd doesn't see Crawford coming and swings his boot through him. It's "won" by Crawford who isn't doing anything other than making sure he gets there first knowing he'll be kicked. He's not trying to do anything with the ball. It's still a penalty though.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolute state of the goalkeeping in that first clip, palmed the shot straight out in front of him right into the danger zone :lol:

We deserved the win last night, so well done to the players for getting it over the line. Particular praise to Doohan for coming and collecting the ball twice in the closing minutes to completely relieve the pressure. 

I just wish I knew what happened to the free-flowing, absolutely sexual stuff we were playing earlier in the season. The hoofball in the second half was horrific to watch and if QOTS had nicked an equaliser, it would have been brought on by ourselves.  

Another strange sort of performance from us last night, 1st half we could have been 3 or 4 goals up, however we ended up hanging on for the three points with the 2nd half all Queens.

Shankland missed a couple of sitters but his build up play when he dropped deep was still very good, even if he doesn't look anything like the player from a few months back.

I've come to the conclusion that we have 2 styles we can play but we need certain players to do so, for me the fast ball on the deck possession game needs Crawford, Kerr, Moffat, Forrest & Shankland all to be firing and it also needs us to be taking chances at the back by playing the ball out of defence. Unfortunately this style will cause us to lose daft goals on occasion and I'm not sure how the fans will handle this, despite most demanding this sort of football. It's great when it works but it comes with setbacks just by the very nature of the game.

The other option is to play with Cadden & Miller as wide men and even the likes of a Moore through the middle where we get the ball forward quickly and try to catch teams with our pace up front. We seemed to try that style last night in the 2nd half in particular, however it just didn't work, the ball kept coming back at us and the frustration levels were growing by the minute.

Personally I don't buy this theory that "teams have sussed us", as I still firmly believe that with a fully functioning Moffat, Shankland, Forrest et all, playing fast one touch pass and move football, that teams in this league simply can't cope, irrespective of whether they know what's coming or not.

I think we need to get back to basics, some of our key players have had a good rest and the playing surfaces are improving by the week which also plays into our hands, so all in all I'm looking forward to our remaining matches including the play offs, and I do honestly believe that we should be approaching them with real confidence.

I also hope Queens stay up as I believe they try and play the game in the right way and obviously have a complete class act in Dobbie (good to see him cheered off by Ayr fans as well) and their fans were also quite entertaining, especially the fat boy with the drum !!

A final thought on last night would be that Doohan was again excellent and so assured with his handling and Robbie Crawford had one of his best games in an Ayr shirt in a long time and hopefully silenced his many critics with an assured performance in the centre of the park, where we all know he should always be played.

Anyway, it's on to Friday now where we should just go out enjoy ourselves and play some football, as we certainly have nothing to fear and nothing to lose either...........

The sexual football was on display once in the second half highlights, as Crawford and Kerr played one touch stuff, leading to a beautiful through ball that shankland really should've scored with. That would've been a cracking goal.

It just shows you though, goals change games. The Queens header early in the second half really should've been in. That would've really fucked us over.

Kudos to Nicky Cadden btw. I wasn’t sure if he was going to be if any use but in the last two games he’s been great to watch. Goes by players with ease and has a decent cross on him.

Only thing is he’s not exactly busting a gut to track back but Harvie has really stepped up in recent weeks so it’s not too big an issue yet.

8 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

Pretty sure i saw them support Neds Atomic Dustbin at the piv in 91!

That's a blast from the past !!

17 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

How has Miller been playing ?

17 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

He’s looked the part when coming on, but not started much. Had heard a rumour it was down to his attitude, still sees himself as a Celtic player in contrast to Doohan who is only focussed on Ayr.

It certainly doesn't look like that on the pitch, he's shown total commitment and probably been our best player in the last few games.

The only fault with Millar at the moment  is he seems to have been taking shooting and heading lessons from McGuffie.

He doesn’t look like a striker if that makes. He looks awkward trying to hold the ball up or when he tries to shoot. He’s done well there as he puts a lot of effort in (Shanklands sitter came from Miller chasing the defender down and winning it back).

I think Moffat will come back in for him on Friday though.

Last night was frustrating. If we scored early we’d have probably been comfortable, but we got nervous and shitfested our way to a 1-0 win.

Why do we always start to panic and melt the ball up the park? Sometimes there’s a time and a place for it but the last few games I’ve been to, we always look far slicker playing 1-touch football and we usually create some decent chances.

Shanks definitely cut a frustrated figure last night. Nothings seemed to go his way and his head dropped a bit. I think he is the archetype confidence player; when he’s on form there’s no stopping him but as soon as it doesn’t quite work he gets frustrated at himself. Thought he grafted well and had some great link up play too, but missed a couple chances he would have buried before Christmas.

Moore and McDaid didn’t have a lot to work with when they came on - would like to see us playing the ball to Moore’s feet in the box, but that requires Moff I think.

Last night was frustrating. If we scored early we’d have probably been comfortable, but we got nervous and shitfested our way to a 1-0 win.

Why do we always start to panic and melt the ball up the park? Sometimes there’s a time and a place for it but the last few games I’ve been to, we always look far slicker playing 1-touch football and we usually create some decent chances.

Shanks definitely cut a frustrated figure last night. Nothings seemed to go his way and his head dropped a bit. I think he is the archetype confidence player; when he’s on form there’s no stopping him but as soon as it doesn’t quite work he gets frustrated at himself. Thought he grafted well and had some great link up play too, but missed a couple chances he would have buried before Christmas.

Moore and McDaid didn’t have a lot to work with when they came on - would like to see us playing the ball to Moore’s feet in the box, but that requires Moff I think.

Imo the heads went down after Shankland missed that sitter. The more good chances we waste the more nervous the defence get and the more they simply try and get rid of it any chance they get.

On a completely different note. I was standing for food at HT (in a massive queue) and an Ayr fan approached me and said there was another shop. I thought he was at it and my face must have showed as he told me to follow him. Went to the home end where there was a shop and no one there. Good guy. I was standing waiting for my pal at the bottom of the steps and 3 stewards were eyeballing me. I expected the usual pish from them but one came up and actually had a blether about how long the journey was. Good to see stewards with common sense as well. Maybe Ayrshire isn't as bad as everyone makes out [emoji14]

5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Kudos to Nicky Cadden btw. I wasn’t sure if he was going to be if any use but in the last two games he’s been great to watch. Goes by players with ease and has a decent cross on him.

Only thing is he’s not exactly busting a gut to track back but Harvie has really stepped up in recent weeks so it’s not too big an issue yet.

Is he out of contract with Livingston? Wouldn’t be against us taking a punt on him if so. 

Archived