Ayr v Queens

We played better without Dobbie and I don't think we could have been grudged a point from the game. Play the same way as the second half against Alloa and we should get something. Again we never looked in danger outwith crosses. We really need someone to step up now as I'll be happily gobsmacked if Dobbie isn't done for the season.

Would’ve been a shambles if you got a point from that.

It could’ve been 3-0 at half time and the only real chance you had was a glancing header in the second half.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Horrible nervous second half, no one putting a foot on the ball. A win and I think that’s the playoff secured
That's my worry.

When one nil up against opponents who are out of form we really should be strangling the f**k out the game.

We either go hard for goals, or secure control of the game.

We seem to do neither, and end up hanging on.

Queens grabbing a point from  that would  have been a travesty, okay they played  better second half but they were absolutely turgid the first.

So many pointless high balls were played down the middle tonight to no one.

Crawford and Harvie were very good, and as usual  Doohan puts in an assured performance in the last few minutes.

Great result which pretty much all but confims our play off status.

Desipte the result, we need to improve, we can't score right now, we should've been out of sight in the first half and it was only a penalty which got us a goal. In the second half we looked nervy with the ball, hoofing it up a lot of the time. I would still drop Shankland and put Moffat and Miller (who was great again) up front against Dundee United.

Overall, good result but we need to take our chances if we're to beat Dundee United on Friday.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I'll clear it up, we should have been in easy street after the 1st half, Shankland missed one that I'd score most times carrying my pie and bovril.

Don’t know what to say about that. If Ayr has a half decent striker they could easily have been 3-0 up in the first half and that’s disregarding a penalty that looked 50:50 at best. Leighfield must have punched or flapped at least 3 back into the danger zone. Doyle doing some decent last ditch stuff again.
Why we can’t play like we did at the start of the second half more often I don’t know- some nice football with the usual giveaways.

Apparently Stevie Bell has 5 or 6 stitches in his ankle which got infected and made it almost impossible for him to walk this morning yet he still played 90 minutes tonight and absolutely dominated Dykes.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Apparently Stevie Bell has 5 or 6 stitches in his ankle which got infected and made it almost impossible for him to walk this morning yet he still played 90 minutes tonight and absolutely dominated Dykes.

I would encourage more of this considering he has been v shaky recently but solid tonight. 

I would encourage more of this considering he has been v shaky recently but solid tonight. 

Absolutely

He’s played well in all 3 games vs Dundee United as well so if he’s fit I’d start him again on Friday.

Let's hope we get another penalty Friday.

Sure that one tonight went in off the bar, keeper seemed to have it figured out but too much power in the shot. Diddy Queen's player walking slowly  in front of the ball to high five the keeper  just before it. Poor form.

We were awful for the first half hour and lucky not to be at least three down. Every corner caused chaos and Shankland missed a sitter of the sort I'd expect my 9 year old to knock in. And we lost Dobbie to what was clearly a hamstring and we'll be lucky to see him again this season (unless we are in the playoffs maybe?).

Ironically the goal came after we'd more or less weathered the storm and Ayr had run out of ideas. It's probably a penalty. It's one of those where the defender goes to clear the ball and the attacker runs across him just as he goes to clear it and he probably hits player before ball. I didn't think it was a free kick for handball in the build up to the penalty incident though. That looked incredibly harsh on a live viewing.

First 15 - 20 mins 2nd half we were much better and seemed to have Ayr at sixes and sevens at the back. We didn't massively threaten goals though. McGrath should have scored with a point blank header from Dykes cross, though it came at him very quickly. In the end though Ayr saw out the last 10 or 15 mins relatively comfortably without threatening to add to their goal.

The main worry isn't so much losing the game, it's losing Dobbie and wondering who is going to score the goals without him there. And if he doesn't make it back this season what a shame that he'll come up one short of the single season scoring record. :(

Given the importance of the match for us that first half performance was absolutely dreadful. Yet again sitting deep, inviting trouble, ball constantly in our danger area. How we weren’t at least 3-0 down at HT was a complete mystery. Why he constantly devises a system that sees Messrs Todd, Dykes and Stirling spend most of their time deep in their own half with no “out ball” is way beyond my comprehension.

Admittedly we were better in second half but we created next to nothing with only one tame shot on target to show for our efforts.

Really felt for Dobbie tonight - if as suspected he is out for season that is a very undeserved way for his season to end.

29 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Really felt for Dobbie tonight - if as suspected he is out for season that is a very undeserved way for his season to end.

i-cri-evrytiem.jpg.6f53d97dcc55335755a04509d9d9b40d.jpg

Spoiler

I don't. 

Archived