Was Gordon Strachan always... has he lost his...

GordonS

5 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Didn't see this, who was he talking about???

Adam Johnson, just out of prison after serving half of a six year sentence for grooming and sexual activity with a 15 year old.

Apparently any fan calling him a paedo for being a convicted paedo would be like racist abuse.

21 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'm waiting on his mea culpa interview to clear this whole mess up.

"Look don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are paedophiles."

Gordon Strachan is Philpy?!

Strachan's view is he's done the crime, been sentenced, and served the time.    Suggesting that he should be allowed to progress with his life isn't that controversial.   

The analogy is crass and isn't comparable but isn't a reason to fire the guy.   

I wonder if sky spoke to him first, before making this decision.

Surely Strachan regrets the way he worded that. It makes no sense.

If he is choosing that hill to die on (to steal bairnardo's suggestion), that would be very strange indeed.

But surely he needs to clarify what he meant.

Guest Moomintroll
Strachan's view is he's done the crime, been sentenced, and served the time.    Suggesting that he should be allowed to progress with his life isn't that controversial.   

F**k, I agree with you. Strachan was correct in what he said but he phrased it somewhat clumsily. I am sure Johnson will get a gig in the Middle East or China at some point soon, the US will be a closed book for obvious reasons. What he did was utterly reprehensible but in the eyes of the law he has been rehabilitated so should be free to gain employment where there is no risk of re offending.

He was fucked as soon as he mentioned Johnson in that context tbh, regardless if he had somehow, against all form, eloquently made some perfectly constructed point.

He didnt though, he brought up a paedo in the context of comparing abuse of him for the crime of being a paedo to abuse of someone for being born a different colour.

His wording didnt help either. Probably what annoyed me most about it. Typical auld goat rambling in the pub style "THE WHOLE RACISM THING!"

The 'racism thing" being young sportspeople being openly racially abused in football stadiums and over social media etc.

Strachan maybe didnt say anything racist, but he showed where he places the importance (or not) of racism.

18 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
33 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

Strachan was correct in what he said but he phrased it somewhat clumsily

No he wasn't, not even close.

21 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
36 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

but in the eyes of the law he has been rehabilitated

No, no he hasn't. 

He could have simply argued this point. As you say it isn’t something massively controversial to state that Johnston should be allowed to play again and discuss the thinking that clubs, managers and potential team mates when considering signing him. See ched Evans, David goodwillie , Alan Lithgow, Craig Thomson etc,

Absolutely none of this has anything to do with the current debate over dealing with the racism issues, bringing it up and suggesting if we’re going to deal with racism that we should be talking about protecting players from being abused for their criminality is bonkers and clearly unacceptable.

Archived