Scotland Select v Ireland

RogerDodger

I think a lot of things need to be taken into consideration. The manager is as involved in the previous set up so would already have a good idea of players from that. They also have training days and matches and you’re always hearing about boys pulling out. Boys have families or get injured playing for there clubs or work maybe. Then boys just might not be interested. It’s a big commitment. I’m not saying that’s the only reasons but I would think that would come into it. Can’t be easy getting a squad to gel so you’d want boys to be together as much as possible. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mick Kennedy
7 hours ago, JBAFC said:

I see that the replacement player was Serge Makofo from Giffnock North, he’s obviously played his way into the reckoning. The manager etc know their stuff.

i looked at the stand by list and didnt see any wingers there, so Johnny Black for Makofo looks a straight swap

i say that as a big fan of Black, the boy is a real talented player

Johny Black not a winger 

1 hour ago, Bawsoot said:

What I have seen of the squads  he has picked my opinion is he is influenced by the csafl yes I agree it's probably the best amatuer league there is but let's be honest he hasn't really done all that well since he took over from Bruce there is defiantly better players out there than what is in the squad it looks like an old pals act to me !!

If u agree that the csafl is the best league then why do u call it a joke?? 

2 hours ago, LoveFitbaw said:

I think a lot of things need to be taken into consideration. The manager is as involved in the previous set up so would already have a good idea of players from that. They also have training days and matches and you’re always hearing about boys pulling out. Boys have families or get injured playing for there clubs or work maybe. Then boys just might not be interested. It’s a big commitment. I’m not saying that’s the only reasons but I would think that would come into it. Can’t be easy getting a squad to gel so you’d want boys to be together as much as possible. 

People forget that commitment when discussing players who are in or not , it’s a big ask with family and work commitments to play Saturday and then train Sunday with midweek games and International fixtures thrown into mix.

3 hours ago, Redondo said:

If u agree that the csafl is the best league then why do u call it a joke?? 

Because the people who run it think they run the full amatuer game !! Do you have any players in the Scotland set up ?? 

15 minutes ago, Bawsoot said:

Because the people who run it think they run the full amatuer game !! Do you have any players in the Scotland set up ?? 

Nonsense m8. 

Bannockburn west final.

Colville Scottish semi.

Eastfield Scottish semi.

Oban Saints West semi, leaving SAFL to join CSAFL.

Its not rocket science that the Select team had 9 players from the CSAFL in it. 

Its the best league m8 and thats not being disrespectfull to the other leagues who also have some very good teams. 

Guest Mick Kennedy

I don’t think that would influence Colin’s decisions he obv picked what he thinks is his strongest group of player. As I’m sure we would have maybe picked different players but Colin’s the manager 

24 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Nonsense m8. 

Bannockburn west final.

Colville Scottish semi.

Eastfield Scottish semi.

Oban Saints West semi, leaving SAFL to join CSAFL.

Its not rocket science that the Select team had 9 players from the CSAFL in it. 

Its the best league m8 and thats not being disrespectfull to the other leagues who also have some very good teams. 

Nonsense in your opinion because your involved in csafl  it's what teams out with csafl see and that's a fact 

3 hours ago, Des18 said:

Don't think that there are any players from Colville or Bannockburn in the squad  and only one from St Pats from what I saw?

The point i was making that its the strongest league so why wouldnt u pick the majority of players from it.

There were good players who were not involved from these teams also but there could be a number of reason why they were not there.

There were a few from Eastfield and there in Scottish semi so obviously a good side.

Iv realised very quickly in my spell as LEAFA select manager that some players you may want in just aren’t available or cannot commit and I’d imagine the Scotland select would be the same albeit on a different scale. 

Everybody always has a different opinion on who they would have for these things but it’s not as easy as it may seem. 

37 minutes ago, Dinsey said:

Iv realised very quickly in my spell as LEAFA select manager that some players you may want in just aren’t available or cannot commit and I’d imagine the Scotland select would be the same albeit on a different scale. 

Everybody always has a different opinion on who they would have for these things but it’s not as easy as it may seem. 

So in your opinion m8 do u think only 1 player from tollcross is suffice for leafa a think there is other players who just get over looked because they just watch mostly csafl games then take 1 player from the other leagues just to make it look good 

Guest Mick Kennedy

Mate I would have thought more of my boys would have got called up even tho a couple pulled out for one reason or another. Knowing Colin as I do he’s an honest guy he would have picked what he thought is the best squad possible 

13 minutes ago, Bawsoot said:

So in your opinion m8 do u think only 1 player from tollcross is suffice for leafa a think there is other players who just get over looked because they just watch mostly csafl games then take 1 player from the other leagues just to make it look good 

Honestly couldn’t tell you mate because Iv not seen the majority of the boys that are involved to compare with the ones I know. 

I took in Sandys v Pennies a few months ago and the Scotland coach was through for that so they do make the effort. Interestingly none of the players from that game made the squad or even training. Big boy for Pennies was absolutely outstanding and I reckoned he would have had a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Dinsey said:

Honestly couldn’t tell you mate because Iv not seen the majority of the boys that are involved to compare with the ones I know. 

I took in Sandys v Pennies a few months ago and the Scotland coach was through for that so they do make the effort. Interestingly none of the players from that game made the squad or even training. Big boy for Pennies was absolutely outstanding and I reckoned he would have had a chance. 

That's my point though he doesn't play with a team in csafl if he did am sure he would have had a better chance of making the squad even if like you said just to train and have a closer look 

Sure the boy ur talking about has been involved in the past guys. 

Maybe he has been asked or maybe he hasnt, u cant just assume he hasnt though and to say its because he doesnt play in the Central is ludacris.

As Mick says the gaffer is a honest guy and will pick the best players (in his opinion) who are available. 

Not everyones circumstances can allow them to commit to it.

7 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Sure the boy ur talking about has been involved in the past guys. 

Maybe he has been asked or maybe he hasnt, u cant just assume he hasnt though and to say its because he doesnt play in the Central is ludacris.

As Mick says the gaffer is a honest guy and will pick the best players (in his opinion) who are available. 

Not everyones circumstances can allow them to commit to it.

Do you know the gaffer or are you just agreeing with Mick 

Dinsey am sure with you being select manager and going round the grounds every weekend the Scotland managers has been in contact with you at some point to ask your opinion on some players ?? As clearly he can’t get to every game so makes sense that he speaks to all select managers as there doing a lot of scouting aswel and see a vast amount of players even if u put some forward and he at least invited them to a session to run his eye over them ?

Archived