Road Trip through Spain

Newbornbairn

I'm planning a holiday in Spain where me and my disabled wife go from Santandar to Benidorm and back, visiting my parents and family in Benidorm.  She's in a wheelchair and I'm trying to keep the driving to 4-5hrs a day max, leaving time for breaks and stopping to see stuff. At the moment the route is;

Santandar - Bilbao - Zaragoza - Valencia - Benidorm (4 days travelling)  then on the way back Benidorm - Madrid - Burgos - Santandar. (3 days travelling)

Of these I know Benidorm and Valencia. Has anyone been to the others? Any recommendations? Anything interesting on that route or a better suggestion?

Only that I wouldn't bother stopping in Santander, found it a bit dull. Not a great one for museums and art galleries, but worth dropping in on the Museo Reina Sofía next to the main railway station in Madrid to see Picasso's Guernica. Guernica's not far from Bilbao so you could get a bit of context enroute, I'm sure there will be an exhibition or something. 

I disagree with Welshy on Santander - I think it's well worth a day or two.  I agree with him on Museo Reina Sofía - even if it's too crowded to get close to La Guernica the museum itself is really nice and well worth a couple of hours.

I'd also be tempted to go to San Sebastian rather than Bilbao.

Sounds like a brilliant trip, though.  Spain is just such a civilised country.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I disagree with Welshy on Santander - I think it's well worth a day or two.  I agree with him on Museo Reina Sofía - even if it's too crowded to get close to La Guernica the museum itself is really nice and well worth a couple of hours.

I'd also be tempted to go to San Sebastian rather than Bilbao.

Sounds like a brilliant trip, though.  Spain is just such a civilised country.

The museum was pretty quiet when I was there and the painting is fucking massive. I liked the way they had preparatory sketches on the other walls so you could see how he built it up. Can't remember what time of day I went. 

Got to agree with Kincardine here - Santander is a fantastic city - so civilised and a refreshing absence of expats. Check out this guide :

https://www.thecommonwanderer.com/blog/visit-santander-spain-48-hour-travel-guide

San Sebastian is also well worth a visit, and again I agree is much more interesting than Bilbao.

Pity you weren't going further west. Extremadura is fantastic for driving as the roads are deserted. Wall to wall storks and vultures. Also west of Santander - Asturias and Cantabria, Picos de Europa, although a bit more touristy. Maybe another time :lol: Thought Bilbao was OK too, the Guggenheim obviously, and the unique gondola bridge at Getxo, which is sort of Bilbao's version of Portobello :lol:

Edited by The Mantis

A lot of praise for Santander here, maybe I was in the wrong bits. I just prefer the more medieval towns like Santiago de Compostella, the old parts of Santander were burnt down in 1941. La Coruna (re Deportivo) is similar.

On 4/5/2019 at 10:32, The Mantis said:

Pity you weren't going further west. Extremadura is fantastic for driving as the roads are deserted. Wall to wall storks and vultures. Also west of Santander - Asturias and Cantabria, Picos de Europa, although a bit more touristy. Maybe another time :lol: Thought Bilbao was OK too, the Guggenheim obviously, and the unique gondola bridge at Getxo, which is sort of Bilbao's version of Portobello :lol:

Good shout about the Guggenheim, thanks.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

@Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo did a Spanish tour last summer - might be of some use to you

Aye, I loved that thread last year but it covers quite a different route. Still want to go to Granada because of it but not this time.

Heard about a performance of Wagner's The Flying Dutchman at Bilbao's opera house where they lifted the entire back wall during the storm scene to expose a real Bay of Biscay storm. Not sure what the electricians or musos thought about it.

I’ve stopped off in Burgos when a I was going from Pamplona to Madrid just to break my journey up a bit. I didn’t get around much of it but seem to remember it had a nice cathedral and a few nice places to eat.

I remember saying to my mate who I was with - “this is somewhere my mum & dad would go on holiday to”.

12 hours ago, Nick_BCFC said:

I’ve stopped off in Burgos when a I was going from Pamplona to Madrid just to break my journey up a bit. I didn’t get around much of it but seem to remember it had a nice cathedral and a few nice places to eat.

I remember saying to my mate who I was with - “this is somewhere my mum & dad would go on holiday to”.

Ummm, thanks.

I think :lol:

• 5 months later...
On 03/10/2019 at 21:46, NewBornBairn said:

Halfway through this. Zaragoza was amazing and I'd thoroughly recommend it. Great architecture and a fantastic cafe scene. Ranks alongside Savannah, Georgia as one of my favourite places now. 

Might go in the Spring, I see it's about half way between Barcelona and Madrid by fast train, few football opportunities too with Huesca just up the road.

On 05/04/2019 at 04:30, NewBornBairn said:

I'm planning a holiday in Spain where me and my disabled wife go from Santandar to Benidorm and back, visiting my parents and family in Benidorm.  She's in a wheelchair and I'm trying to keep the driving to 4-5hrs a day max, leaving time for breaks and stopping to see stuff. At the moment the route is;

Santandar - Bilbao - Zaragoza - Valencia - Benidorm (4 days travelling)  then on the way back Benidorm - Madrid - Burgos - Santandar. (3 days travelling)

Of these I know Benidorm and Valencia. Has anyone been to the others? Any recommendations? Anything interesting on that route or a better suggestion?

If you're interested in the relatively recent history of Spain, this documentary is worth a watch. Might give some of the places you visit more relevance...

Edited by sjc

While you're in Benidorm, you might want to head slightly south.  My brother lives in Algorfa, which is stunningly beautiful and a typical small town in the region.  It is used for rest stops for cyclists touring through the area.  It would suit the fact your wife requires a wheelchair too, as it is very flat and all roads and pavements are all-user friendly.  Just a wee suggestion.

Wherever you end up, enjoy.

See the source image