Promotion Chasing Ayr United vs Promotion Chasing Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Two days until this one and still no match thread. A massive game for both teams, A win for the Super would put us 3 points ahead of ICT with two games in hand and we’d be in a very good position to make the Playoffs.

The last game against ICT was a weird one, we didn’t play particularly badly but  found ourselves 3-0 down after 18 minutes. We rallied a bit and could of got a draw but it wasn’t to be. 

Bring it on!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Two days until this one and still no match thread. A massive game for both teams, A win for the Super would put us 3 points ahead of ICT with two games in hand and we’d be in a very good position to make the Playoffs.

The last game against ICT was a weird one, we didn’t play particularly badly but  found ourselves 3-0 down after 18 minutes. We rallied a bit and could of got a draw but it wasn’t to be. 

Bring it on!

Aye that first half hour or so was one of those thankfully rare spells where every time the opponents crossed the halfway line our usually fairly reliable defence looked certain to concede - see also the first half away to QoS and the 2nd half at home to Ross County. 

Tough game based simply on the fact we've only managed 1 point off Inverness in 3 games and havent even led against them yet.  Should be a decent game, I predict a 1-1 draw with both sides immediately checking to see if Dunfermline have dropped points at Firhill. 

From the game at Somerset I saw and from what I’ve heard about the other 2 games there’s not been a great deal between the sides in those 3 games. We had 3 moments of madness in the last game and gave away 3 goals but really shouldn’t have lost it with the amount of chances we created.

I believe Sean Walsh is out for Caley Thistle and he appears to have been a big player for them this season as is Charlie Trafford after being sent off on Tuesday night.

I think we’ll see a few changes for this one due to our fixture list.

I’d go

Doohan

Smith
Muirhead
Rose
Harvie

Geggan
Murdoch
Crawford
Miller

Moffat
Shankland

1-0 Ayr win

57 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

From the game at Somerset I saw and from what I’ve heard about the other 2 games there’s not been a great deal between the sides in those 3 games. We had 3 moments of madness in the last game and gave away 3 goals but really shouldn’t have lost it with the amount of chances we created.

I believe Sean Walsh is out for Caley Thistle and he appears to have been a big player for them this season as is Charlie Trafford after being sent off on Tuesday night.

I think we’ll see a few changes for this one due to our fixture list.

I’d go

Doohan

Smith
Muirhead
Rose
Harvie

Geggan
Murdoch
Crawford
Miller

Moffat
Shankland

1-0 Ayr win

I'd go for that exact team, difficult to predict a score though because who knows what team will turn up.

I reckon 2-2.

When did Ayr last beat ICT?  Seem a bit of a bogey team, along with QOS.  Our home form has been dubious to say the least.  So having 5 of the last 7 at home is no advantage really.  That second half against Morton has drained the wee bit of optimism engendered by the win at Dunfermline. It was bad enough losing 2 points on Tuesday, but it was more the lacklustre performance that was worrying. We need to be really up for these last few games or a top 4  finish will be problematical. 

1 hour ago, jm86 said:

When did Ayr last beat ICT?  Seem a bit of a bogey team, along with QOS.  Our home form has been dubious to say the least.  So having 5 of the last 7 at home is no advantage really.  That second half against Morton has drained the wee bit of optimism engendered by the win at Dunfermline. It was bad enough losing 2 points on Tuesday, but it was more the lacklustre performance that was worrying. We need to be really up for these last few games or a top 4  finish will be problematical. 

This exactly.

I'm still not convinced that the stickiness of our pitch and the narrow dimensions help us in any way whatsoever, however we'll just need to get on with it, and as you say, we seriously need to lift ourselves and also lift the tempo of our play.

Apparently we have played each other 10 times in League/Cup. Caley have 5 wins, 4 draws and Ayr have just the one victory.

We have also scored 15 goals in our last 3 visits to Somerset. Another 5 would be lovely but it won’t be happening.

We look lost without Welsh and Trafford is also out so our holding midfield is going to be dodgy to say the least.

It’s a massive game but I also don’t see our players flying into tackles risking injuries etc with the Semi Final next weekend.

3-1 Ayr.

Comfortable away win, that first half against Dunfermline was just good luck.  Another game closer to this good but disappointing season being over. 

Hopefully we at least pretend to give a f**k and change it up a little. 

4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

A win for the Super would put us 3 points ahead of ICT with two games in hand 

You are short changing us. A win would put us four points clear

With Trafford and Welsh out, I wonder if we'll switch to a 4-4-2.  We played Austin and Oakley (still can't believe ur gone. Just want 2 run 2 u) up-front and it worked a treat.  Perhaps Doran and Walsh on the wings and Polworth and Chalmers in the middle with Austin and White up-front would be our best bet.  Wouldn't be at all surprised to see us stick to the 4-2-3-1 though with Chalmers and McHattie sitting.

Was sent to have a look at a Stranraer player when George burley was in charge think they were playing Alloa and Sheerin was playing for them outstanding, had been released by Celtic I think, told George about him but was out his price range. Went to Southampton for 100k

was an outstanding player

Id play this team

Doohan
Geggan muirhead rose smith
Forrest Kerr murdoch Miller
Moffat Shankland
No Crawford? Can't see him being dropped.

When McCall says he plans on making a few changes from the midweek I expect that to mean Crawford on the wing.

Archived