Dumbarton v Brechin City 6/4/19

If we can cut out our defensive gifts surely we can prevail here :shutup

A must win for both teams, our spirit in midweek coming from behind v Airdrieonians was a bit more like it.

I'd like to see Boris Melingui start, he's lively, causes problems for defenders & with a bit more composure he could work well off Thomas & Forbes.

Edited by Silverton End

I'm a nervous wreck already for this. If the DFC who turned up for about 70 minutes against Airdrie can be bothered playing in this then we should have enough about us to get a result, if the DFC who turned up for 84 minutes against Stenhousemuir decide to make an appearance however then we're gubbed.

Looking at the team who played in the last game (Brechin's 1-0 win against ten man Sons back in January) both teams have, on paper at least, improved. That day we started with Chris Smith in goals (is he better than Grant Adam? Meh, he might be. Neither of them seem to save anything, and both are prone to clangers), Michael Paton at right-back (I mean, why?), Andy Dowie and Stuart Carswell at centre-half, Calum Gallagher wide on the right, a dynamic midfield duo of Forbes and Hutton, and strikeforce with a grand total of 0 DFC goals this season -  Ben Armour and Ryan Thomson.

If that wasn't good enough, Brad Spencer was our only fit outfield sub. 

That lineup really was a Willie Dyer away from being the worst of the worst this season and, given we went down to ten men with half an hour remaining, I'd like to think we can achieve a more positive outcome on Saturday.

As Silverton said Boris probably deserves a start: He got MOTM on Saturday (not a big ask mind you) and then set up two goals after coming off the bench the other night. His positioning is a bit mad, and I'm still not fully convinced, but he's like a wee puppy all full of energy and positivity, and has earned a place in the eleven.

I'm not really sure where we should put him though. Calum Gallagher had a good game the other night and doesn't deserve dropped, and DT should never be dropped. We could conceivably play Gallagher out wide (meh...), but that leaves Forbes without a position - unless we drop Hutton/Carswell and move him into CM (him and Carsy might work, but Hutton won't be dropped), or play Carsy at right-back, Forbes in CM and Gallagher on the wing as we finished the other night. I'd rather we didn't do that though, so here's my idea....

Grant Adam

David Ferguson Craig Barr Brian McLean Cammy Ballantyne

Ross Forbes Stuart Carswell Kyle Hutton Dom Thomas

Boris Melingui Calum Gallagher

I know, I know. Moving our best player out of position is a very Stevie Aitken thing to do...But, the reason we couldn't break down Stenny is that we couldn't get DT on the ball enough. Moving him into midfield should let him get on the ball more, whilst Gallagher and Melingui both have the pace to cover out wide for him if he drives forward and loses possession. Will it work? I've no idea. Is it worth doing to get Boris in? Meh, I'll let Jim Duffy decide, but it's an interesting option for him to have.

It's also a wee bit harsh to drop Bobby Barr, but he's had a quiet few games, so he was the natural one to drop out.

Please just win, Dumbarton.

37 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

As Silverton said Boris probably deserves a start: He got MOTM on Saturday (not a big ask mind you) and then set up two goals after coming off the bench the other night. His positioning is a bit mad, and I'm still not fully convinced, but he's like a wee puppy all full of energy and positivity, and has earned a place in the eleven.

The bit in bold is precisely why I'd keep him on the bench (that and I don't think moving Dom Thomas wide is the best way we can use him). I love his energy and he seems to pop up in crucial moments, but I think because he's so energetic he's an excellent player to bring on when players are tired.  You start Boris and he'll tire like everyone else and bringing on Bobby Barr or Calum Gallagher doesn't give you the same energy and positivity. I'd keep the team we started with in the second half (if HVS is back then I'd start him over McLean, really not impressed with McLean on Tuesday) and bring Boris on with 20 to go if we're bursting for a goal.

Dom Thomas doesn't track his man, we really can't afford that out wide IMO, Airdries full backs were having the freedom of the pitch in that first half on Tuesday.  

The bit in bold is precisely why I'd keep him on the bench (that and I don't think moving Dom Thomas wide is the best way we can use him). I love his energy and he seems to pop up in crucial moments, but I think because he's so energetic he's an excellent player to bring on when players are tired.  You start Boris and he'll tire like everyone else and bringing on Bobby Barr or Calum Gallagher doesn't give you the same energy and positivity. I'd keep the team we started with in the second half (if HVS is back then I'd start him over McLean, really not impressed with McLean on Tuesday) and bring Boris on with 20 to go if we're bursting for a goal.
Dom Thomas doesn't track his man, we really can't afford that out wide IMO, Airdries full backs were having the freedom of the pitch in that first half on Tuesday.  
Fair point re Boris, I was keen to see him start but deep down I don't think Duffy would drop any of the current starters for him.

I completely agree about McLean, I thought he looked like a big donkey at times. I was surprised to see a few praising him post match. I don't think he won a header until the 2nd half. I'm also not convinced playing in Brunei for so long will have done him any favours in being able to adapt to the standard of this league quickly. That being said, if Henk isn't fit I'd far rather McLean than a reshuffle, we just seem to fall to absolute pieces when we have to do that.

Was considering going to this but after the utter garbage we got on Tuesday and last Saturday and the cost of fuel and driving all that way then paying to get in to watch that shite I would be better off spending the money on some thing I'm going to enjoy so day in the pub it is. No chance were going to win this with dumbarton hitting abit of form and us being absolutely dire

4 minutes ago, hedgeman83 said:

Was considering going to this but after the utter garbage we got on Tuesday and last Saturday and the cost of fuel and driving all that way then paying to get in to watch that shite I would be better off spending the money on some thing I'm going to enjoy so day in the pub it is. No chance were going to win this with dumbarton hitting abit of form and us being absolutely dire

We're not exactly in scintillating form, 1 point from our last 3 and conceded 9 in the process, compared to Brechins 3 points from the last 3 with only 6 conceded.

7 minutes ago, hedgeman83 said:

At least you are upfront better than TOH  with his family friend wedding:whistle :thumsup2

25 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

At least you are upfront better than TOH  with his family friend wedding:whistle :thumsup2

Thankfully that is genuine.........................Otherwise I would probably have wasted a Saturday getting tanked in the Stag's Head , building up to another 90 mins of torture.