Joker

SweeperDee

Bloody hell. Didn’t think I’d read any reviews with as beige an opinion. I think if you need to give it a second watch and eliminate the word ‘superhero’ or any comic book notions from your mind completely.

That’s fair.

Honestly, it was perfectly fine. There was just something that was off-kilter. It was never boring, it was just never as violent or as sad or as complex or as frightening as it had the potential to be.

I'm just back from it, and I loved it.I'm sure it's all been said about how good Phoenix is and the Scorsese comparisons have already been made, but what makes this movie a cut above the rest is the lack of a super hero.

The Joker isn't a cartoon character here, the's a deranged, evil and twisted b*****d,  and doesn't need to have anyone (Batman) to bounce off here. Even Slater's Joker needed that.

Loved it

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

That’s fair.

Honestly, it was perfectly fine. There was just something that was off-kilter. It was never boring, it was just never as violent or as sad or as complex or as frightening as it had the potential to be.

Just seen the Joker, I can't imagine what films you've seen that does all of those things better. Joaquin Phoenix was superb, I honestly think that was an Oscar-winning performance.

Maybe it would seem more intense if it was 20 minutes shorter ,but that's a small gripe. I'd still give that 10/10.

Different folk like different movies, but if there's a better performance than that of Phoenix, I can't wait to see it.

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I thought it was a 6/10 movie with very little wrong with it but something not quite involving enough.

I’m not a superhero movie, but I had heard it was bleak and melancholy and violent enough to stand up as a non-superhero film.

I think the parts involving De Niro reprising King of Comedy were brilliant, but most of the other characters were too lightweight and underdeveloped. There could have been a cracking serial killer film if they had done away with the imaginary girlfriend nonsense.

I very rarely say this, but I think it was half an hour too short.

That's funny, I just responded to your later post (or was it quoted by somebody else?) stating that it was 20 mins. too long before I seen this.

Watched it yesterday and I thought it was outstanding, Pheonix should be the only person to play the joker now until he decides he's done with it. Better than Heath Ledgers performance IMO.

On the way out the cinema on Friday I heard someone say that apparently Phoenix has said he’s done with it unless there’s a decent plot for a Joker sequel, but he’s no desire to play a part in the Batman franchise.

6 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

On the way out the cinema on Friday I heard someone say that apparently Phoenix has said he’s done with it unless there’s a decent plot for a Joker sequel, but he’s no desire to play a part in the Batman franchise.

What could work is a Joker/Batman film from the viewpoint of the Joker throughout rather than from the Hero point of view that we're used to.

Spoiler

The scene at the end where he wipes the blood into a grin and turns to face his followers was phenomenal and there's so much they can build on from that. 

Watched it yesterday and I thought it was outstanding, Pheonix should be the only person to play the joker now until he decides he's done with it. Better than Heath Ledgers performance IMO.

He was outstanding but they were totally different characters they were playing. I just don't see how you can say he was better. We never saw Ledger spiral into madness, the same way we didn't see Phoenix in full madness mode. For me they are incomparable.

I hope he stays away from a sequel. We don't need it. A sequel for me is basically The Dark Knight!

Never added but the reason it's a 9 and not a 10 for me was the whole bit about who his father was. A specific part which you'll know what I mean but I don't know how to do tags. Found it pretty bizarre and unnecessary tbh.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He was outstanding but they were totally different characters they were playing. I just don't see how you can say he was better. We never saw Ledger spiral into madness, the same way we didn't see Phoenix in full madness mode. For me they are incomparable.

I hope he stays away from a sequel. We don't need it. A sequel for me is basically The Dark Knight!

Never added but the reason it's a 9 and not a 10 for me was the whole bit about who his father was. A specific part which you'll know what I mean but I don't know how to do tags. Found it pretty bizarre and unnecessary tbh.

When I say better, I mean a more accurate representation of what I feel the joker should be, it's all personal opinion and I understand why a lot of people (myself included) still hold Heath Ledgers Joker as one of the greatest  villain performances of all time. Maybe the writing helped Phoenix here but everything from the laugh to the gradual acceptance that he's a mad b*****d was just perfect a 10/10 performance IMO. It's all subjective though so I get why your views may differ to mine!

Thought this was fantastic, 9/10, would have been 10 but thought there was a wee bit of a lull in the middle.

Phoenix was phenomenal and should be winning any and all awards. 

Going to go and see it again. 

Agreed, I hope there’s no sequel regardless of who portrays Joker. Like you say, don’t need it.

I think the bit about who his father is/isn’t was necessary and relevant. Helps draw out empathy from the viewer and give an insight into the list of things that make him sad and crazy. It also ties in his grievances with the Wayne’s and his spiral into madness for the story as a whole given what most viewers already know, but also keeps it at arms length from anything and all things ‘Batman’.

ETA - Only my opinion, but I just thought it was a totally phenomenal movie and really struggle to find a flaw in it.

On 13/10/2019 at 14:07, Savage Henry said:

I thought it was a 6/10 movie with very little wrong with it but something not quite involving enough.

I’m not a superhero movie, but I had heard it was bleak and melancholy and violent enough to stand up as a non-superhero film.

I think the parts involving De Niro reprising King of Comedy were brilliant, but most of the other characters were too lightweight and underdeveloped. There could have been a cracking serial killer film if they had done away with the imaginary girlfriend nonsense.

I very rarely say this, but I think it was half an hour too short.

Agree with this. In conclusion I’ve decided films aren’t for me as I didn’t really enjoy that much it despite everyone ranking it a 9 or 10. 

I went to see if yesterday afternoon, what a fantastic film the film score and Phoenix are both Oscar worthy.

Not sure what film the folk who say it was too violent watched, this was nothing out the ordinary.

The scene in the flat was a holy f**k moment followed by sheer hilarity from the door.

Im separating the films and performances simply saying one could not play the others role. I still prefer the dark knight and ledger but like a poster above said its all personal preference.

I went to see if yesterday afternoon, what a fantastic film the film score and Phoenix are both Oscar worthy.
Not sure what film the folk who say it was too violent watched, this was nothing out the ordinary.

I absolutely loved this but as I’ve said before I’m not one for delving into music, scenery or subtle undertones so can someone please tell me the significance of the last scene. I genuinely believed the best way to end it would have been the scene on the car bonnet. 

Do you mean the part when he was being interviewed in Arkham???