Joker

SweeperDee

The dark knight is one of my all time favourite films purely based on heath ledger and his version of the joker so i will reserve judgement until ive seen it.... i am however happy with the casting of the joker because i love Joaquin Phoenix as an actor. Has a lot to live up to even tho its a stand alone film and more of an origins story, all i know is i cant wait to see it.

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
53 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
Its had fairly poor reviews from what I've seen, fwiw.

What have you seen? It's sitting fairly high just now and the majority of reviews I've saw have been positive.

Read a couple a few days ago, can't remember who they all were. Robert Ebert or whatever he is was one.

Is he no deid?

Indeed. He died a good few years back, but his reviewing website still runs with his name.

I’ve seen excellent reviews for this. The only bad ones seem to be from publications trying to tie in “incel” culture into it, saying the film glorified it, and say the film might inspire idiots to commit violence.

A lot of shite in all honesty, but that’s no surprise if it’s been lapped up by RandomGuy.

Whilst it's obvious that the film won't encourage acts of violence; they have a point to an extent, although there was similar "outrage" when The Killing Joke was released a couple of years ago. Have you ever had the misfortune of stumbling across any of that "incel" (and the broader, MRA weirdos) stuff? They'll be reblogging quotes and gifs from the film all over their tumblrs and subreddits. 

It's easy to see how a lot of folk will interpret the film as "glorifying" a toxic and damaging subculture (indeed, it'll be people within that group doing the glorifying). They already fetishise the character enough.

Whilst it's obvious that the film won't encourage acts of violence; they have a point to an extent, although there was similar "outrage" when The Killing Joke was released a couple of years ago. Have you ever had the misfortune of stumbling across any of that "incel" (and the broader, MRA weirdos) stuff? They'll be reblogging quotes and gifs from the film all over their tumblrs and subreddits. 
It's easy to see how a lot of folk will interpret the film as "glorifying" a toxic and damaging subculture (indeed, it'll be people within that group doing the glorifying). They already fetishise the character enough.

I happened to read somewhere (I can’t remember the exact article) that the cinema where James Holmes shot and killed innocent people in the US won’t be showing the film after pressure from the victims’ families. The families also wrote to Warner Bros. saying that they were irresponsible for releasing the film at all, and that they should be donating its profits to gun-violence charities.

Not directly related to your point but I thought I’d throw it out there.

I’d say it’s complicated; you’ll always get dweebs on Tumblr and the like glorifying anything remotely counter-culture. It’s like the same (mostly female) weirdos who fetishise the relationship between Harley Quinn and the Joker, even though it’s about as abusive and toxic as a relationship could get.

• 2 weeks later...

10/10 for me. The most perfectly made movie I've ever watched. There's not a single scene wasted. Even when not much is happening I couldn't bring myself to go pee as every single scene, word or movement has a purpose in this movie.

Towards the end I literally sat shaking my head in disbelief at how perfect a movie it is.

There might possibly be movies I've had more enjoyment watching, but as a piece of filmmaking it's an absolute masterpiece. I've never left the cinema feeling the way I felt after it finished, almost in a state of shock at what I just witnessed.

14 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm planning to see this tomorrow. I'm not into Bat man or any Marvel/DC stuff at all but I'm a fan of the likes of Taxi Driver and The King Of Comedy so I'm keen to see how this compares.

Was just about to post almost exactly the same.  Even seen it compared to Mean Streets, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon, Death Wish and French Connection.  Holy grail stuff.  Don't really like cinemas but will go tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Was just about to post almost exactly the same.  Even seen it compared to Mean Streets, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon, Death Wish and French Connection.  Holy grail stuff.  Don't really like cinemas but will go tomorrow.

I was at the early showing today and I really enjoyed it. It has the feel of all those New York films from 70s with neon signs, sleazy alleyways, subway trains, steam rising from the pavement etc. I could also see hints of Michael Douglas in Falling Down and Robin Williams in One Hour Photo in the main character.

Best thing I've seen for a long time.

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I was at the early showing today and I really enjoyed it. It has the feel of all those New York films from 70s with neon signs, sleazy alleyways, subway trains, steam rising from the pavement etc. I could also see hints of Michael Douglas in Falling Down and Robin Williams in One Hour Photo in the main character.

Best thing I've seen for a long time.

Rewatched King of Comedy last night.  Seen Taxi Driver so many times I'm not watching it again.

22 hours ago, port-ton said:

10/10 for me. The most perfectly made movie I've ever watched. There's not a single scene wasted. Even when not much is happening I couldn't bring myself to go pee as every single scene, word or movement has a purpose in this movie.

Towards the end I literally sat shaking my head in disbelief at how perfect a movie it is.

There might possibly be movies I've had more enjoyment watching, but as a piece of filmmaking it's an absolute masterpiece. I've never left the cinema feeling the way I felt after it finished, almost in a state of shock at what I just witnessed.

Not seen Joker yet but cant wait. The way you are describing it reminds me of 2 other films, The Deer Hunter and Saving Private Ryan. I have seen hundreds of films but those 2 left me absolutely breathless and speechless. Looking forward to the same from this.

Went to the 6pm screening tonight.

Phoenix' portrayal of a man decending into madness is both heart breaking and terrifying. There were moments in the film when I wanted to just look away but couldn't, it really is a tough watch in bits but the pay off is more than worth it.

I was a bit concerned with the level of violence that was being reported in some of the msm as that sort of thing doesn't really float my boat. Feck knows what film some of the reviewers were watching as there's very little and there was only the one scene where I thought it was remotely graphic.

Finally the score is one of the best I've heard in any film ever. It's simply stunning.

9.5/10

Went to the 6pm screening tonight.

Phoenix' portrayal of a man decending into madness is both heart breaking and terrifying. There were moments in the film when I wanted to just look away but couldn't, it really is a tough watch in bits but the pay off is more than worth it.

I was a bit concerned with the level of violence that was being reported in some of the msm as that sort of thing doesn't really float my boat. Feck knows what film some of the reviewers were watching as there's very little and there was only the one scene where I thought it was remotely graphic.

Finally the score is one of the best I've heard in any film ever. It's simply stunning.

9.5/10

I watched it with 4 mates on Friday and 2 of them also commented saying the score was the best they can remember on any film.

As above, no idea what some critics have been watching regarding violence.