Motherwell v Rangers - Sunday 7th April

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Did Motherwell genuinely think before the game that their best bet of beating Rangers was splitting the centre backs and passing the ball up through the entire team to score? Madness. And even if they did think that, as is mentioned above, surely after 20 minutes you'd realise that it wasn't.

I much preferred it when they didn't bother pretending they could play football and just went direct and bullied teams. That is how you get at Rangers, not by pretending to be Man City when you have cart horses in defence.

Hard to argue with any of that. 

Problem is for most of teams they need to pay one way or another. Our agricultural approach won few fans even amongst our own and yes although it did take us to 2 finals it was brutal to watch when it did not work. 

I much prefer this style of play which has (up to now) had us as one of the form teams since New Year and with 5 straight home wins. Of course when we come up against better sides we will get beaten and comfortably more often than not.

it also has taken us WELL clear of relegation battle we were well in prior to Xmas. 

14 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Did Motherwell genuinely think before the game that their best bet of beating Rangers was splitting the centre backs and passing the ball up through the entire team to score? Madness. And even if they did think that, as is mentioned above, surely after 20 minutes you'd realise that it wasn't.

I much preferred it when they didn't bother pretending they could play football and just went direct and bullied teams. That is how you get at Rangers, not by pretending to be Man City when you have cart horses in defence.

They figured out the worst possible way they could play against their bed fellows and proceeded to do so. Same old story.

5 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Hard to argue with any of that. 

Problem is for most of teams they need to pay one way or another.

No. They THINK they need to play one war or another. They don't have to at all, and any team that does has a problem.

If going for shitfesting it helps against the better sides then it should absolutely be an option. Because not setting up to get the best possible result is a failure from the manager. Stubbornness at best and incompetence at worst and there's no excuse for it.

Playing a better side against most of the teams in the league clearly helps but when it doesn't, it should be getting changed.

39 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You can tell Arfield and Defoe have played at a much higher level, movement and vision a cut above anybody else on the pitch.

I'd add Davis in with them, we're now seeing the Davis of old.

8 minutes ago, bennett said:

I'd add Davis in with them, we're now seeing the Davis of old.

I was a big fan of him in his first stint.  This time around he's still a tidy midfielder but we seem to have a glut of them.  We're more in need of creative players that can win tight matches.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I never said he played for big teams? But the EPL is well above the Scottish premiership.

Yeah, it's a good bit above our top league, but he was viewed as an expendable member of a Burnley side who ably demonstrate exactly why the EPL is to a significant degree driven by money and marketing over substance. 

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Do you think these players are good enough for next season boss hogg?

Maybe add a few players to the squad and a wee bit of extra creativity through the middle. I'd like to keep Davis and Defoe, plus if we can get Barisic, Murphy, dorrans etc fit itll give us a boost.

Just now, Dinnie said:

I don't think Gannonball is suggesting that Arfield is world class, he's just saying you can tell he's spent time playing in a league with higher standards.

I understood what he said, I just think it was a cliche and an exaggeration. I think that Rangers, never mind Celtic, could reasonably anticipate giving Burnley a game. 

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Burnley couldn't beat Aberdeen over 180 minutes this season.

They also toiled past a turkish team I had never heard of, then got thrown out by a greek team not even making the group stages but I dont think anybody was claiming that the greek top league is better than the EPL. As overrated as I think the EPL is it is clearly several notches above us, not that I watch it a great deal these days.

7 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Yeah, it's a good bit above our top league, but he was viewed as an expendable member of a Burnley side who ably demonstrate exactly why the EPL is to a significant degree driven by money and marketing over substance. 

They did offer him a contract to be fair but yeah its the marketing that sets it apart mainly, I do find it hilarious that one of the strap lines is that ‘Anybody can beat anybody’ when 2 out the 3 relegation spots were officially decided in March ffs.

Edited by gannonball

3 minutes ago, bennett said:

Maybe add a few players to the squad and a wee bit of extra creativity through the middle. I'd like to keep Davis and Defoe, plus if we can get Barisic, Murphy, dorrans etc fit itll give us a boost.

I like Davis and Defoe and it's hard to get to the truth in terms of what we're paying for them.  If the logic was that we had a glimmer of challenging Celtic at the turn of the year then I see the logic in speculating and bringing them in BUT given that it didn't really make a difference then I don't think they've contributed enough to say justify staying IF they're using up more or our resources than their current colleagues.