Motherwell v Rangers - Sunday 7th April

So, top six officially gone for us this season and our last game before the split sees Rangers visit Fir Park.

I'd love to see us finally get a win in this fixture but I can't see it here, especially as we're more likely than not going to be without both our first and second choice goalkeepers after what looked like a bad one for Mark Gillespie tonight.

The best result we'll get is a 0-0 draw but I reckon a 1-0 defeat is on the cards here.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We will never beat Rangers in a league game ever again. Not just because they're dead.

Correct, these games are always a painful watch as virtually nothing goes right for us.

Meh. Not overly fussed - would rather just get this one over with and move on to the split. One of the positives of finishing in the bottom half is not having to put up with Rangers or the other cheek for a few months.

Over sixteen years since we last won a league game against Rangers. Sixteen fucking years! That is obscene. What's so infuriating is that they have rarely come to Fir Park and hammered us in that time, except for when McCall was here. The games are usually tight but every crucial break goes their way; be that a wrong offside call, massive deflected goals for them, our strikers missing sitters inside the six yard box and of course, us missing a fucking penalty in the last minute at 0-0. 

It's like watching the same movie over and over again.

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Meh. Not overly fussed - would rather just get this one over with and move on to the split. One of the positives of finishing in the bottom half is not having to put up with Rangers or the other cheek for a few months.

The biggest positive of not finishing top six for me is that it puts to bed any chance of Celtic being able to win the League at Fir Park.

I would go with Saturdays team if Gillespie is fit and if we score first again we'll give ourselves a chance but if we go behind we'll be fucked, as I believe we would have been had Saints scored their penalty at 0-0 on Saturday. We need to be a bit smarter with our defending than we have been in the two previous meetings with them this season and not give them time and space to cross or shoot from outside the box. They are a fairly cynical, dirty side even without Morelos so we need to keep the head and not get sucked into their game plan.

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

Rangers should start Lafferty on Sunday. That p***k always scores against us. 

Can't see us getting anything from this. 

1-3

Scored on his last three visits to FP with two different teams. His first against us back in August was a massive deflection, one of two that they got that day. That's what I mean by breaks always going against us in games against them.

45 minutes ago, Estragon said:

What did Motherwell do to Craig Thomson at the beginning of all this? Serious question. 

My memory of it goes back to a game vs Hearts in 2008.   David Clarkson is floored with a head knock, Thomson waves play on and Hearts break up the park and score. 

He later admitted his mistake on the whistleblower thing they used to have on the SFA website.  

Referring to the controversy at Fir Park, the Whistleblower comment reads: "Motherwell forward David Clarkson received an accidental head injury in the 12th minute of this game, the incident occurring on his opponents' 18-yard line. Play progressed and seconds later a goal was scored at the other end of the field.

"Whilst the two incidents were not at all related, referee Craig Thomson has indicated that if he had realised that the injury was to the head and could have been serious he would have immediately stopped play for early treatment. Referees have been instructed to deal with such head knocks in this way.

"One of the problems for referees, not necessarily in this country, is that some players are using an injury for tactical advantage to have the game stopped."

I did once interview his twin brother for a job and rejected him, which was pleasing.

Go with the right attitude here and we've got a decent chance. Pleased there hasn't been much chat about 'the best chance to beat them in ages', as we've had the best chance to beat them in ages so many times and fallen on our faces.

Get the first goal though and I anticipate they'll turn quite quickly. Here's hoping for a good yin. 

Archived