Stenhousemuir v Raith Rovers

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small mercies. At least we didn’t get beat.

Our away form is still gash, but if we can win our home games and draw or at least only narrowly lose away games then you never know for the play-offs.

We're really not very good. It's nothing new, we're doing the same stuff we've been doing for months.

My biggest frustration is still playing these loan players. Four of them started today. Crane sort of has to, because he's the only left back we have, but I really don't see what the other four bring.

It's be different if they were the ones turning draws into wins, but we're still not very good with them. We might as well be not very good with our own players.

You could maybe argue that by taking Gullan and Barjonas, McGlynn is building relationships with Hibs and Rangers that might yield more fruit next year, but do we really need to be doing Ayr Utd any favours?

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

We're really not very good. It's nothing new, we're doing the same stuff we've been doing for months.

My biggest frustration is still playing these loan players. Four of them started today. Crane sort of has to, because he's the only left back we have, but I really don't see what the other four bring.

It's be different if they were the ones turning draws into wins, but we're still not very good with them. We might as well be not very good with our own players.

You could maybe argue that by taking Gullan and Barjonas, McGlynn is building relationships with Hibs and Rangers that might yield more fruit next year, but do we really need to be doing Ayr Utd any favours?

Spot on.

The loan players, to a man, are all shite 

Rovers stole the point , we were lucky we weren’t 2-0 down at half time dreadful from start to finish. Crane and Flannigan shocking all day in regards to putting crosses in from it seamed to me in good positions. Gillespie skinned all day at right back but in fairness hes not a right back. Shame for Robbie Thomson looks like a serious injury and a special mention to Barjonas no wonder Rangers don’t have any youth coming through because apart from the Forfar game he’s done absolutely zip I would rather play one of our youth players.

Both teams have plenty of chances but I don't think we could've had many complaints if Stenhousemuir took the three points today. For the most part, we were flat and uninspiring. As mentioned, the loanees didn't really offer too much. We missed Matthews and his drive in the middle of the park and shouldn't be starting both Wedderburn and Barjonas in the middle, and the latter seems utterly undroppable despite some awful performances.  Sore one to lose Thomson, given he made some excellent saves.  Going into the playoffs with one first choice keeper will be interesting. 

As for the Warriors, McGuigan and Hurst look a very industrious partnership up top. I was also very impressed by Donaldson who had a huge influence on how we played, simply by charging down Gillespie at every opportunity.  I don't think the table really does justice at the moment, and it wouldn't surprise me if they can edge out Brechin and make the playoffs. 

For gods sake. Today we managed to come up with another new approach to throwing away the points. The Raith goal was as bizarre as you will see but somehow was not unexpected the way the season has gone. Losing count of the points thrown away, particularly at home, but that goal makes finishing 8th so difficult. Not sure 4 wins would even be enough.

As for the game we dominated the first half and based on chances should have been ahead. But we weren’t. A familiar tale. For once though we scored when we were not on top, and thereafter did a pretty good job of keeping Raith at arms length,save for a few scrambled clearances from corners. I did not think Raith were capable of creating a clear chance to score. And so it passed, we did the creating for them.

That feels bad.

16 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

For gods sake. Today we managed to come up with another new approach to throwing away the points. The Raith goal was as bizarre as you will see but somehow was not unexpected the way the season has gone. Losing count of the points thrown away, particularly at home, but that goal makes finishing 8th so difficult. Not sure 4 wins would even be enough.

As for the game we dominated the first half and based on chances should have been ahead. But we weren’t. A familiar tale. For once though we scored when we were not on top, and thereafter did a pretty good job of keeping Raith at arms length,save for a few scrambled clearances from corners. I did not think Raith were capable of creating a clear chance to score. And so it passed, we did the creating for them.

That feels bad.

Absolutely crushing blow that, but easy now....12 points would be more than enough! There’s no chance any of the other 2 in the bottom three are going to post 8+ points from here. (Neither are we btw, but for illustrative purposes 12 would be plenty!)

I’m still positive, plenty twists to go yet I feel. Stranraer go to Raith next week, we make points on them next Saturday and it’s all completely different again. 

I think we were worth a draw. Better second half and Stenny had to defend for their lives. 

We weren't good though. I refuse to believe any of these loan players give us more than our own young players, and I say that as a sceptic of our youth players. 

Pie was excellent though, so small mercies.  

27 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I think we were worth a draw. Better second half and Stenny had to defend for their lives. 

We weren't good though. I refuse to believe any of these loan players give us more than our own young players, and I say that as a sceptic of our youth players. 

Pie was excellent though, so small mercies.  

You sure? You had us pinned back for about the last 5 minutes, before that it was fairly even and we did score in that ‘better second half’ for you and won quite a number of corners. Not quite the siege you make out. At absolutely no point did i feel we were defending for our lives. A couple of hairy moments late on but nothing we didn’t put Raith through 10-fold in the first half. 

16 minutes ago, Christophe said:

You sure? You had us pinned back for about the last 5 minutes, before that it was fairly even and we did score in that ‘better second half’ for you and won quite a number of corners. Not quite the siege you make out. At absolutely no point did i feel we were defending for our lives. A couple of hairy moments late on but nothing we didn’t put Raith through 10-fold in the first half. 

As far as our away form is concerned, a few headers off the line and clearances from shots is sustained pressure :lol:

Never felt a blow like that for at least a month since the East Fife game. You look at those two games against supposed better teams and we should have an extra 4 points. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Looking at the fixtures though I genuinely don't see Brechin getting any more points until the last day of the season show down. I reckon we can win at least one of the next three to take this to the last game.

8th I feel is beyond us but 9th and the play offs will do. We usually get the job done there and I would have no fear of anything from the below league. McGuigan and Hurst will put yon to the sword I feel.

That one hurt. To stay in the league we need every point going and thought for the majority of the game were the better side.

When Greg Hurst went off it changed, he had a great game but after his substitution McGuigan was very isolated and the threat was no longer there. It did look like the Raith defence had a mistake in them.

Can’t really remember the build up to the Raith goal but....just punch it over the bar. The highlights will probably say easier said than done that’s how it felt at the time.

As Rickenbacker say the game really changed when Hurst went off.

Nice sporting gesture from McGuigan to kick the ball out the park when we had been awarded an indirect free kick when Thomson caught the ball while lying injured.  Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Thomson missed the ball.  Saw an ambulance arrive at full time - any update on the boy?

3 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

As Rickenbacker say the game really changed when Hurst went off.

Nice sporting gesture from McGuigan to kick the ball out the park when we had been awarded an indirect free kick when Thomson caught the ball while lying injured.  Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Thomson missed the ball.  Saw an ambulance arrive at full time - any update on the boy?

Ruptured Achilles

Archived